1. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Internal Links Open in New Tab/Window

Just curious if Google is able to track this kind of behavior. If I click a link on a website and it opens up a new tab or new window, does Google follow this and are they able to maintain tracking the path of the visitor? Does a web browser or site setting that does this increase the bounce rate or have a negative affect on analytics?

I noticed a few new pages on the site I'm working with opens up internal links in a new tab. The links on the level below this all open up in the same window. It's clicks on internal links from the homepage that open in this new tab I am concerned about.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  3. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Lb1878
    Just curious if Google is able to track this kind of behavior. If I click a link on a website and it opens up a new tab or new window, does Google follow this and are they able to maintain tracking the path of the visitor? Does a web browser or site setting that does this increase the bounce rate or have a negative affect on analytics?

I noticed a few new pages on the site I'm working with opens up internal links in a new tab. The links on the level below this all open up in the same window. It's clicks on internal links from the homepage that open in this new tab I am concerned about.
    If you have analytics in your code then yes google will see the transition and user flow from page to page regardless of the new tab as it is done with cookies. It would be difficult to say how they process this but i would guess they would then have two cookies for the same user, one for the page they opened and another for the previous page to track the time they stay on that page.
  5. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Thank you for the quick response. I definitely have to dig a little deeper into the data to see but I feel something is not right, hence I asked this question. Traffic seems down (outside of the Google torpedo's). I am not sure how it happened but I'm personally not a fan of new tabs being opened. I wonder if anyone has tested and analyzed this in the past.

If two cookies are created, would it count as two visits? I'm thinking no but that would suck...lol