Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
    #16
  1. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    14,913
    Rep Power
    1772
    Originally Posted by mameha1977
    someone above got the point of the question:

    "Yes, search engines can see that /car/lexus/gs300.html is generated dynamically with the last modified date."

    Really I specifically want to know if that creates some penalty or not.
    NO, no penalty; no problem whatsoever... unfortunately someone that disagrees with me will come along and say "YES", it is a problem - so you are best to:

    1. go with your gut, or

    2. wait for a debate of all the issues to hammer out all the nuances and then make your informed decision.
  2. #17
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    530
    Rep Power
    35
    Originally Posted by mameha1977
    someone above got the point of the question:

    "Yes, search engines can see that /car/lexus/gs300.html is generated dynamically with the last modified date."

    Really I specifically want to know if that creates some penalty or not.
    Not that I know.

    Jean-Luc
    AWStats Support : add-on's, extra sections, forum, installation assistance + Professional AWStats Services
    200ok.eu Broken Link Checker finds 404 errors, error pages with 200 ok status, missing images, protocol errors, password protected pages, bad domain names, redirect loops, parking pages and more
  4. #18
  5. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,125
    Rep Power
    507
    Google won't penalise you for having dynamically generated content.

    All I said at the beginning of this argument is that I noticed improvements in my crawl rate and the amount of pages indexed once I re-wrote my PHP ID pages to HTML.

    Having said that, I have read articles saying that Google is getting better and better at crawling dynamic pages.

    I still like to keep to HTML as much as possible though.
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." - George Best
  6. #19
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    14,913
    Rep Power
    1772
    Originally Posted by gsl
    ok Fathom... i think following question will better explain situation :

    just tell me if i have following two pages :

    wwwdotexampledotcom/index.php/garry.php
    AND
    wwwdotexampledotcom/index.php?name=garry&id=300

    Former has proper navigation from index page and physically exist on website,while later has been generated temporarily by fetching values from database and has no physical existence.

    Now does these both will be treated as same or G BOT will give any priority/weight age to any of above??


    Thanks
    GSL
    The Temporary "fetch" is "fetched" for bots that requests the referencing string and like a browser pulls all the references together to properly format a page.

    Search engine treat a dyanmic string (once properly formated as a static reference).

    There are some "special consideration conditions" that you need to be mindful of like too many params and long numerical strings - but that isn't any real difference that static url that resemble this:

    /fdu2i0-2-02q@3i1h#7ey7%1y3$82dwqq1&903i&rj2ir3j28ur82u29r.h tml - which you are unlikely to use anyway.

    While Yahoo and MSN don't have a neat video on this -- Google does...

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6860320126300142609

    NOTE: Matt will recommend a mod rewrite to create the appearance of static referrals - but it isn't necessary and certainly won't give you any SEO advantage if you don't add the keywords into your SE friendly url.

    The best guidance here is:

    1. if your project is brand new and never been crawled - use the mod rewrite approach "with" a keyphrase boost, or

    2. if your website pages are already indexed in search engines you are best to not use any rewrite... essentially a rewrite "DELETES" all established urls - means your website is completely gone from search engines until they recrawl where the new pages references are... you'll be a 1 pager website for a little while and if you're not overly established it can take weeks, months or even a year for a complete restoration.

    There's one thread here somewhere for a guy that did this and 8 months later (I think) he is still having problems... well he screwed up the mod rewrite and didn't notice for a month or so - and by then the damage was done.
  8. #20
  9. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    14,913
    Rep Power
    1772
    That travel site that screw the rewrite: http://forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/heeelp-146305.html
  10. #21
  11. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,410
    Rep Power
    156
    Originally Posted by gsl
    ok Fathom... i think following question will better explain situation :

    just tell me if i have following two pages :

    wwwdotexampledotcom/index.php/garry.php
    AND
    wwwdotexampledotcom/index.php?name=garry&id=300

    Former has proper navigation from index page and physically exist on website,while later has been generated temporarily by fetching values from database and has no physical existence.

    Now does these both will be treated as same or G BOT will give any priority/weight age to any of above??


    Thanks
    GSL
    Both will get indexed but the first one is better as far as seo goes... I know some will disagree here but I have done alot of work with mod rewrites with dynamic urls and the first one will perform better than the second.

    Originally Posted by fathom
    hmmm... the .php part is disadvantages to the .html extension?

    does that make sense?

    a "keyword in url is helpful" (a little) - the extension is a non-issue.
    The ext probably isn't but the "dynamic" part of it is. Query strings are not good and will not perform as well as static urls.
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  12. #22
  13. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    14,913
    Rep Power
    1772
    Originally Posted by Visio
    Both will get indexed but the first one is better as far as seo goes... I know some will disagree here but I have done alot of work with mod rewrites with dynamic urls and the first one will perform better than the second.



    The ext probably isn't but the "dynamic" part of it is. Query strings are not good and will not perform as well as static urls.
    Wantta bet!

    I say a straight simple numerical html page will rank above the same identical page as a simply numerical php page generated dynamically -- 50% of the time... the other 50% of the time the reverse will occur.

    I will 100% agree that a mod rewrite will enhance the dynamic url it is so good it will also enhance the html page where the same 50/50 split will occur

    or you could have the php page "as is" and mod rewrite the html page to resemble php and again the same 50/50 split will occur.

    As for "alot of work with mod rewrites with dynamic urls"... how often did you do a rewrite where you did nothing else [no title changes or links etc.] and made the dynamic - static BUT left the html version "as is" e.g. edit query string 'if' ?p=1 is now p-1.html and saw an marked or fair iimprovement?

    Surely your usual "lots of" rewrites are search and keyword friendly/rich to be the best they can be to rank best - or were these purely experimentation?
  14. #23
  15. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,410
    Rep Power
    156
    Originally Posted by fathom
    Wantta bet!

    I say a straight simple numerical html page will rank above the same identical page as a simply numerical php page generated dynamically -- 50% of the time... the other 50% of the time the reverse will occur.

    I will 100% agree that a mod rewrite will enhance the dynamic url it is so good it will also enhance the html page where the same 50/50 split will occur

    or you could have the php page "as is" and mod rewrite the html page to resemble php and again the same 50/50 split will occur.

    As for "alot of work with mod rewrites with dynamic urls"... how often did you do a rewrite where you did nothing else [no title changes or links etc.] and made the dynamic - static BUT left the html version "as is" e.g. edit query string 'if' ?p=1 is now p-1.html and saw an marked or fair iimprovement?

    Surely your usual "lots of" rewrites are search and keyword friendly/rich to be the best they can be to rank best - or were these purely experimentation?
    Most of the time when implementing mod rewrites other on-site details were already taken care of. And yes we tested a simpel query string against a simple non-keyword static url and the static url performed much better even though it had the same links pointing at it.
    Dynamic query strings can be indexed by google and are all the time but they still are not treated like a simple static html url.
  16. #24
  17. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    i agree with visio and indeed the reason i started using modrewrite was because the php pages were indexed so badly. with html on the end they perform (and look) better but still i wonder whether they would do even better if they had a file date.
  18. #25
  19. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,125
    Rep Power
    507
    I also agree with visio.
  20. #26
  21. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    14,913
    Rep Power
    1772
    Originally Posted by Visio
    And yes we tested a simpel query string against a simple non-keyword static url and the static url performed much better even though it had the same links pointing at it.
    Essentially you when you rewrite you delete the previous page... how long does it take for a completely different page to "perform much better"?

    By how much is a "perform much better?
  22. #27
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Barrie
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    10

    Mod Re-write php to html


    Originally Posted by thegodfather
    I once MOD-Rewrit my PHP pages to HTML using the .htaccess file.

    It did my SERPs no harm at all. In fact - I noticed the new HTML pages were getting crawled a lot more frequently than when they were PHP ID's.
    I have a main page which opens as Default.php, could I use Mod-rewrite to change this to index.html?

    What code would I use to do this? Some directories will not list my site with the php extension.

    Thanks

    Roger
  24. #28
  25. Smoke me a kipper...
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,467
    Rep Power
    73
    Originally Posted by napoleon
    I have a main page which opens as Default.php, could I use Mod-rewrite to change this to index.html?

    What code would I use to do this? Some directories will not list my site with the php extension.
    Hi Roger,

    Simple .htaccess edit:
    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.html$ Default.php
    You'd also need to update all your internal links, and 301 redirect if Default.php is present in the $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] variable.

    Having said that, I bet the reason that the directories are rejecting it is because you're not using the domain root ( www.yoursite.com/ ), and even after you change to index.html you'll still have the same problem.

    As I've said to you before, don't link to your homepage using the homepage filename. Just use the domain name + /
    ... I'll be back for breakfast
    New to SEO? SEOChat SEO FAQs
    Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines
    URL canonicalization code solutions
    Vigorously pursuing the floccinaucinihilipilification of cheap SEO tricks
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Converting my website from .html to .php ... help.
    By smartwebbrowser in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Nov 5th, 2006, 08:10 PM
  2. .html to .php
    By BKC1856 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 26th, 2006, 10:22 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Oct 27th, 2005, 09:48 AM
  4. Google delisting all of my .php pages but .html are ok.
    By staalejg in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Sep 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM
  5. .php vs. .html
    By ep2002 in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar 13th, 2005, 04:21 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo