1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Tool To Calculate Website's Physical Country

I whipped this together real quick... Mainly because people wonder why their site does not show up for their country on International versions of Google. And the main reason is that Google does not calculate it based on whois contact info or domain extensions. It's calculated based on the physical location of the IP address.

So.... here is a tool that will tell you the physical country that a particular IP address is registered to.

A perfect example of this is the website http://www.code-d.com is owned by someone in the United Kingdom, it's hosted through Lycos, which registered the IP address block the domain is on in Sweden. So his domain shows up as being in Sweden (as far as Google is concerned).

Anyway, have fun...

http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/website-country/

- Shawn
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Thanks, works well.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Re: Tool To Calculate Website's Physical Country

Originally posted by digitalpoint
    I whipped this together real quick... Mainly because people wonder why their site does not show up for their country on International versions of Google. And the main reason is that Google does not calculate it based on whois contact info or domain extensions. It's calculated based on the physical location of the IP address.

So.... here is a tool that will tell you the physical country that a particular IP address is registered to.

A perfect example of this is the website http://www.code-d.com is owned by someone in the United Kingdom, it's hosted through Lycos, which registered the IP address block the domain is on in Sweden. So his domain shows up as being in Sweden (as far as Google is concerned).

Anyway, have fun...

http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/website-country/

- Shawn
    Nice, it even gave the correct answer for www.uruklink.net
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Great tool!

Can you explain how it works?

Technically.

So we know how accurate it is.

I promise not to create a tool that competes.

I just want to use it and rely on it.
  9. Contributing User

Originally posted by requiem
    Nice, it even gave the correct answer for www.uruklink.net
    Of course... "You can't hide from the TOOL!" {lol} j/k

Originally posted by rustybrick
    Great tool!

Can you explain how it works?

Technically.

So we know how accurate it is.

I promise not to create a tool that competes.

I just want to use it and rely on it.
    There are a few entities that control allocation of IP address blocks (in the US it's ARIN [American Registry For Internet Numbers] for example, some countries, it's RIPE). So basically it's just checking against their database to see what country that IP address is registered in.

In theory it should be 100% accurate, as long as the IP address is being used in the country that the registered/authoritative entity of that IP address registered it in.

- Shawn
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

thanks
  13. Big Green Guy!

FYI FWIW: On a semi-related note, if you would like to know the country you are surfing FROM, try this IP to country tool.

How this works is documented on the page - it's a little different than Shawn's approach - I may have to think about allowing you to input a domain/IP address rather than just having it look up where you are browsing from. The geo-location stuff is kinda interesting and from my brief research a while back, there is serious money in this area to provide much better than just country location.

alek
  15. Contributing User

Mine shows where you are browsing from too (look at the bottom).

- Shawn
  17. Big Green Guy!

Yep - I see the country on the bottom - nice touch. I just added the capability for you to enter a domain name and/or an IP address in my IP to country tool.

It sounds like your approach does a "dynamic" lookups against the IP address block allocations, so it should be more accurate as things change ... although probably not too many changes at the country level, so I'd guess my approach is fairly accurate, but it might be an interesting science experiment to cross-compare.

I opted for the "static" approach via the Geo Perl Module since I'm using this in my christmas lights and I wanted it to be "lightening fast" - here are some summary statistics from Halloween/2003 that used this in actual operation.

Thanx for sharing Shawn - cool stuff!

alek
    Last edited by hulkster; Nov 17th, 2003 at 11:08 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo