1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

shopping cart suggestions?

I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest a shopping cart... I need to abandon and replace the one I"m currently using.
    A few requirements (of course :-)

all ordering pages MUST be generated from static HTML pages

allow up to 11 options for an individual item (i.e. color, size, fabric choice etc.)

When an "add to basket" button is clicked, the shopper must NOT be transported to another page! (I REALLY like how the paypal shopping cart opens the "basket" in a new window).

I MUST have all the necessary shopping cart programming "in hand" and running on my own server (no way I'll risk a company going out of business and my shopping cart vanishing forever :-)

Anyone have any ideas of something that might "fit the bill"?

Thank you so much, in advance, I do appreciate and comments.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

i u really want the code "in hand" and want to be able to do anything u want it to... i would suggest u build it yourself.

i'm currently rebuilding my ecommerce backend from scratch.... so that i have absolute control over everything. it's a pain in the neck right now... but i'd rather know what every line of code does than to buy a hefty pre-made app that doesnt do exactly as i wish and then have to dig around some sloppy or unfamiliar code.

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

...uh... that was meant to start out as "if u".... hehe...

7. No Profile Picture

Thank you for responding, and in a positive way :-)

I couldn't agree with you more! However, while I can code HTML, programming is another story. We're also losing business everyday with our current programming, so there is an essence of speed.

I do have a programmer looking at the current cart we're using in hopes of modifying it, but I"m not quite sure he has the specialized knowledge for this particular programming. I thought I'd also look into other avenues.

I do believe there's a pre-made app out there somewhere that's configurable to our needs. The problem is that there are SO many it gets a bit confusion going through web site after web site trying to figure out if that one will do what I want. Somehow I though if I posted to a relevant message board(s), possibly someone would already know of something that existed and point me in the right direction.

I probably shouldn't say anything, but, I've been surprised at some of the rudeness I've encountered. Again, thank-you for your comments and opinions.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

no prob 'lets'.... if u havent already checking out hotscripts.com is prob a good idea for u

11. No Profile Picture

I develop ecommerce sites using Miva Merchant. Out of the box, it isn't pretty. Requires customization to match the look and feel of your website which does take a few hours to tweak. But, the benefits of running this package are numerous.

It is powerful and scalable as plug in modules written by third party developers are plentiful.

It offers shipping, payment and inventory options that likely resemble the way you currently operate so you likely won't have to change gateways just because your new ecommerce software has a compatibility issue.

You can implement pop-up screens when entering the store by clicking the order button. That would be a simple scripting solution. You can create static product HTML pages and link them into the store via the order button. You can also offer plenty of attributes, ie, color, size, etc.

You can upload your products as a database exported to some delimited format. Very handy! Inventory tracking is another bonus.

Order processing includes confirmations to both merchant and customer. Orders are batched into reports which you can generate in a numer of formats.

The company, Miva Corporation, has established a forefront position in the ecommerce software market, and I do not worry about the possibility they will go out of business. In fact, I have six stores running on Miva Merchant and have been developing stores for four years, so I am confident in the package and the company. I would have to say the only downfall to running Miva Merchant is keeping up with software version updates. They are continually improving the package and adding functionality, but that isn't really a bad thing

BTW, I don't work for Miva Corporation, I just had to express my opinion on their software. Who can pass up a chance to talk shop, right??

Leora
  13. No Profile Picture

A question, please. I "thought" I read somewhere that having the inventory in a db was not considered a good thing for SEO. Now, either I'm mis-remembering or what I read was wrong. Either is quite possible. So, what are the facts, please?

I've been looking at osCommerce and need my misconception (if it is one) straightened out.
  15. Head Honcho
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally posted by MamaKitty
    A question, please. I "thought" I read somewhere that having the inventory in a db was not considered a good thing for SEO. Now, either I'm mis-remembering or what I read was wrong. Either is quite possible. So, what are the facts, please?

I've been looking at osCommerce and need my misconception (if it is one) straightened out.

It is not a good thing to have long URLs with lots of variables. Whether or not the information is in a database is irrelevant - the problem is that Googlebots won't follow a long 30-string variable rich URL.

There is a way around this, and it is called mod_rewrite. Of course, apparently there are some packages now (and possibly even a plugin for Miva) that makes it look like a regular URL instead of a long one. But, I don't use Miva.
    Take care,

... Christopher @ BeRomeo
    -----------------------------------------
    Download your Free Seduction eBook:
    http://www.BeRomeo.com
  17. No Profile Picture

Thank you so much, Christopher.

That's exactly what I was attempting to remember.It was one of those things that caught my attention but as I wasn't thinking about using a cart at that time, I didn't take enough note of the specifics.
  19. No Profile Picture

I think osCommerce is a good one to look at. If you check out their forums, you can actually watch a group of people go through the rigum-roll of development. It is amazing to see so many brilliant people working together. Much like this site but different scope.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by afonselaca
    I think osCommerce is a good one to look at. If you check out their forums, you can actually watch a group of people go through the rigum-roll of development. It is amazing to see so many brilliant people working together. Much like this site but different scope.
    I too am looking for a good shopping cart and have been looking into oscommerce. The problem is still the links are not "spider friendly". I think they are working on this though. I'm definately open to other suggestions!
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i am using oscommerce and it is a great cart
    out of the box it is not what you want but there is a contribution for almost everything you want to do and a great forum that you can use to get help with almost anything
    it is not a very modern code and it still uses tables and there are some other drawbacks but it is gpl and the forum and contributions makeup for all its drawbacks
    Last edited by pizzaman; Dec 17th, 2006 at 11:34 PM.