1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Unhappy Rookie REALLY Needs Your Help Testing Web Page HTML!!

Hello There Pros!

Bear with me as I try to explain this. I am brand new to HTML and I am going to learn it or die trying! I have just purchased, Creating a web page with HTML by Elizabeth Castro and have begun building her example website. I am using Windows Notepad on Windows XP and I am at the point where I need to test my background color (page 13). The book states that I need to open the web page to see the blue background and gives me a web address example of: C:\MyDocuments\ (etc.). In other words, the address of the file I have created for it. It tells me to type that address into the Internet Explorer Browser to bring up the web page. The problem is that when I do this, it just brings me back to the folder with my text documents. I am feeling really stupid right now because I know I am missing something very simple. Can I test this without purchasing software? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

-Sean
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If you enter a "local" webpage, your browser program will show your local version. You'll be able to test how it would behave in real life, provided you used "relative" URLs for your links and images (e.g. <a href="somepage.html"....> rather than <a href="fill://c:/blah/somepage.html"....>

But you really need to upload it to one of your internet accounts, in order for it to show as a real web page. Usually, your web provider or host's FAQ page will point to a manual that shows how to upload your local files and make them available for people to see and admire.

PS: if you enter an address --local or otherwise-- of a directory that doesn't have an index.html file, then Windows (internet) Explorer will show the entire directory instead. Dunno if that's your problem. If not, please clarify
    Last edited by dzine; Nov 9th, 2006 at 02:27 PM.
    ... Hey you! FREE SEO report card ... I really my hosting company ...
  5. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Rookie1973
    Hello There Pros!

Bear with me as I try to explain this. I am brand new to HTML and I am going to learn it or die trying! I have just purchased, Creating a web page with HTML by Elizabeth Castro and have begun building her example website. I am using Windows Notepad on Windows XP and I am at the point where I need to test my background color (page 13). The book states that I need to open the web page to see the blue background and gives me a web address example of: C:\MyDocuments\ (etc.). In other words, the address of the file I have created for it. It tells me to type that address into the Internet Explorer Browser to bring up the web page. The problem is that when I do this, it just brings me back to the folder with my text documents. I am feeling really stupid right now because I know I am missing something very simple. Can I test this without purchasing software? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

-Sean
    You need to edit the extension .txt to .html

You cannot do that in NotePad but download:

TextPad [FREE] http://www.textpad.com/download/index.html (which is the same as NotePad but much more robust with features) and then save your name.txt file as name.html and then open the file in IE.
  7. No Profile Picture

Dzine Thanks For Your Help

Thanks for your response Dzine. My problem is I am trying to re-create the lesson in this book so I can learn how to create web pages. This is all for internal purposes. I don't ever plan on launching this thing! Below is everything the book has had me do so far:

<html>
    <head>
    <body>
    <title>Sarah's Notecards - Ceramics Collection
    </title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text\css"
    href="sarahs_style.css" \>
    </head>
    </body>
    </html>

AND FOR THE STYLE SHEET:

body {background: #EDF2FF}

FROM THE BOOK: "Save both the CSS and the HTML files and then open the web page with a browser to see the blue background"

I have done all of this and still, my document does not translate the HTML. The author has said nothing thus far about getting a host or a page. I don't understand how I could even have a web page yet when this is simply a folder called sarahs_website with 2 notepad documents titled ceramics.html and sarahs_styles.css. Am I a total moron, or is this book assuming I know too much? Is there a way to create a free web page template that I am over-looking?

Thanks again.
    -Sean

Originally Posted by dzine
    If you enter a "local" webpage, your browser program will show your local version. You'll be able to test how it would behave in real life, provided you used "relative" URLs for your links and images (e.g. <a href="somepage.html"....> rather than <a href="fill://c:/blah/somepage.html"....>

But you really need to upload it to one of your internet accounts, in order for it to show as a real web page. Usually, your web provider or host's FAQ page will point to a manual that shows how to upload your local files and make them available for people to see and admire.

PS: if you enter an address --local or otherwise-- of a directory that doesn't have an index.html file, then Windows (internet) Explorer will show the entire directory instead. Dunno if that's your problem. If not, please clarify
  9. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Rookie1973
    Thanks for your response Dzine. My problem is I am trying to re-create the lesson in this book so I can learn how to create web pages. This is all for internal purposes. I don't ever plan on launching this thing! Below is everything the book has had me do so far:

<html>
    <head>
    <body>
    </title>
    </head>
    </body>
    </html>

AND FOR THE STYLE SHEET:

body {background: #EDF2FF}

FROM THE BOOK: "Save both the CSS and the HTML files and then open the web page with a browser to see the blue background"

I have done all of this and still, my document does not translate the HTML. The author has said nothing thus far about getting a host or a page. I don't understand how I could even have a web page yet when this is simply a folder called sarahs_website with 2 notepad documents titled ceramics.html and sarahs_styles.css. Am I a total moron, or is this book assuming I know too much? Is there a way to create a free web page template that I am over-looking?

Thanks again.
    -Sean
    EDIT

<html>
    <head>

</title>
    </head>

<body> the body is where your visible page information is.
    </body>
    </html>
  11. SEO Insultant

That's right, the tags are jumbled up. As was spotted by fathom there.

If you open a tag like - say - <head> you have to close it first using </head> before you open <body>

Some tags can be "nested", but they are like parentheses { [ ( ... ) ] }. So often, you CAN have <tag1> <tag2> ... </tag2> </tag1> but you certainly CAN'T have <tag1> <tag2> ... </tag1> </tag2>.

Hope we're making sense
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks

Thanks guys. I fixed the tags and still no luck. I'm pulling my hair out here!

Originally Posted by dzine
    That's right, the tags are jumbled up. As was spotted by fathom there.

If you open a tag like - say - <head> you have to close it first using </head> before you open <body>

Some tags can be "nested", but they are like parentheses { [ ( ... ) ] }. So often, you CAN have <tag1> <tag2> ... </tag2> </tag1> but you certainly CAN'T have <tag1> <tag2> ... </tag1> </tag2>.

Hope we're making sense
  15. rod@missionop.com

Post the page using the CODE wrapper here (that's the icon with the # sign) and also the css.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

my suggestion is try some html editor instead of notepad , u can try coding in that too , one typo in notepad and it is a pain ..