1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Redirect question

I just recently made added a index.cfm file to my site and that redirects either to my default.asp page or to an internal page depending on whether the user typed in www.mysite.com OR membername.mysite.com.

Is this redirect going to be an issue?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

your on a windows server right??
    -PK
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi PK,
    Yes, it is windows. I know it sounds strange...cfm file redirecting to asp with iis.

What we are doing is using something like this:
    <cfset A = CGI.SERVER_NAME>

<CFIF #A# IS 'mysite.com'>
    <CFLocation URL="http://www.mysite.com/default.asp" addtoken="no">
    </CFIF>

There is a little bit more but it basically checks to see if the user typed in www.mysite.com or membername.mysite.com

If they typed in www.mysite.com then they are redirected to the default.asp page. If the visitor typed in membername.mysite.com then a query to the db is initiated and if membername is found, another page called redirect.asp is used to redirect to the proper internal page.
    Last edited by John; Feb 26th, 2004 at 11:45 AM.
  7. Contributing User

Cant you create a virtual subdomain that point to a specific folder on the server and place all your member files in there??

I would go with a structure like domain.com/membername so you dont confuse the engines. If you have a subdomain and there are any links pointing back to your site form a membername.domain.com URL you might end up with duplicate content because Google considers subdomains as seperate sites. Also if you have domain.com/membername any additional backlinks a memebr might gain gets passed down to your site so less work for you. The CFM file will most likely confuse the engines and depending on the type of redirect you use can get you penalized. Subdomains open a can of worms if you can seperate the content properly.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks PK,

I think I need to get rid of that file until I do a little research. I just dropped close to twenty in the serps. Maybe this is why.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by pk_synths
    Cant you create a virtual subdomain that point to a specific folder on the server and place all your member files in there??... Subdomains open a can of worms if you can seperate the content properly.
    Maybe this will explain what I am doing:

Each member on my site has a series of pages about thier business. Some members do not have a website. If they wanted to put their member page url on a business card it would look like this:http://www.mysite.com/folder/page.asp?vendor=database#

What I am trying to do is to allow them to put this on their printed materials : businessname.mysite.com

The redirect will then process that sub-domain and redirect to:
    http://www.mysite.com/folder/page.asp?vendor=database#

How would this work into the duplicate content scenerio?
    Last edited by John; Feb 26th, 2004 at 01:31 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Related Redirect Question

PK,

Any advice on a HTML refresh redirect to another domain? I am trying to leverage a well optimized category in my Internet directory...selling a service in New York, by directing it to an affiliate URL that sells the same service in New York. Will Google still base my ranking on the optimization of the original category page...or will it try to index the URL that it's redirecting to. Follow me?

Regards
    Ajordan
  15. Contributing User

John,

you should be able to create real subdomains on the server and just point them to the the appropriate URL. Better do to the redirects serverside than through a redirect script. PM digitalpoint, he might be able to help you out as I'm not that fimiliar with Windows servers.

ajordan,

Refresh redirects are always a bad idea as they can lead to penalties. I would do a clean link from the directory as that is the nature of directories. You'll get more submissions when sites know that they will also get PR from the submission. If you dont want to pass PR you can always use a CGI or javascript link.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Re: Refresh redirects

PK,

What do you think is the best way to redirect the 'optimized' URL "www.albanywebsites.com/listings.asp?categoryid=56" to www.new-york-florists.net ? I don't want to pass the PR to the florists URL, but rather be able to continue maintain the PR of optimized url, have Google continue to base my rankings on that page...but do a safe redirect to the florists url. Putting my optimized url into a directory would alter the url and affect its optimization, no?

Regards
    Ajordan
  19. Contributing User

Use javascript to link to the URLS. Google cant read or follow javascript so no PR will be lost. You can get more info at seo guy's website @

http://www.seo-guy.com/pagerank-arti...-pagerank.html

Hope that helps.