Thread: MySQL Rant...

1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

MySQL Rant...

This is one of those things that hopefully will never happen to anyone, but I need a place to rant after what I just went through... And maybe it will help someone in the future.

Okay, normally I love MySQL (which I still do). But I had a table become so corrupt (for no reason... no crash, etc.) that it was all screwed up. MySQL couldn't even tell me what the field names were within the table, much less any other info about it (queries of course failed). Anyway, the index file (.MYI) was so far gone, I ended up copying the data file out (.MYD), truncating the whole table (which was scary), replacing the data file, then running a REPAIR TABLE to rebuild the indexes.

Everything looked peachy and CHECK TABLE yielded no problems.

So I inserted a new record... went in fine. Insert a 2nd record, and it fails. CHECK TABLE then gives this: "Found key at page 588800 that points to record outside datafile"... REPAIR TABLE repairs it and the whole thing starts again. So basically I could insert 1 record, then repair table if I ever wanted to insert another.

So, as a FYI... run the "old school" REPAIR TABLE with the following command:

REPAIR TABLE [table_name] EXTENDED;

It took 3 times as long, but it seemed to work.

Not really for any purpose other than to hopefully save someone some time if they find this message in an archive searching the web.

- Shawn
  3. No Profile Picture
    JRM
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

So the Extended part of the repair table command does a lot more then? Did that fix your problem?

I had a similar problem, I ran out of space on the partition (caused from virus emails taking up the space) and corrupted some tables. I ended up first getting rid of the emails, then copying over the db backup. It is fixed now and I am keeping an eye on the partition useage.

JRM
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yep... extended repair fixed it perfectly (although it took about 3 times longer), which the "normal" repair couldn't fix it (even though it said it did successfully).

- Shawn
  7. No Profile Picture
    JRM
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Cool! Thank you for the informative post.

JRM