1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If you were to develop a site from the groundup?

I have a travel site that I'm currently in the process of redeveloping
    its focus in excellent content and the current site is linked by some big players. The site would be Ad/link
    supported. Not a get rich scheme but a solid content site that has value to travelers and shows stunning pictures.

The budget for development is very small and I'm pulling every string I can to make
    it happen.

My question is to everyone who reads this is.

If you had a limited budget and wanted to develop a Database driven website that was
    search friendly and easy to maintain what software would you use? Is there any opensource
    that would be a good starting point (i've looked a phpnuke) not sure if it will work. Or do you think
    that I need to purchase something off the shelf like Ektron?

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Last edited by dbdesign; Apr 20th, 2004 at 03:06 PM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I've heard of seo-cms.com but I've never used it, so I have no idea how good it is. But perhaps it might work for you, since they claim it is seo friendly.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The trick is to look for a CMS that assembles the content into pages, and publishes regular filenames, e.g. about.asp.

There must be a number of these available. Depending on your budget, you might want to look at Eighty/20's Content Manager. Also, I think that open-source Mambo was heading towards a search engine friendly release, unlike their earlier versions.

Regards,

Agalychnis
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

my main fear agaist using these tools is that you are locked it for certain optimization techniques, and if OOP will come again your all site will be wided from the SERPS without you being able to change it fast
    Just my 2c
    /BP
  9. <- Have you read my blog?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Question Whats your budget?

What is your budget?

I'm a professional PHP/PL/SQL programmer and if your budget is right, we can help you develop this site. PM me for more information.
    www.Three-Way-Links.com - Amazing way to increase your rank with Google - trading three way links!
    Free Online Games - free online games - what else could you want?
  11. Contributing User

Be careful of any CMS (esp. if you are paying) without seeing some real live websites using them (not just thier demo).
    Make sure they have an active support forum to get questions answered.
    Most open source are PHP/MYSQL with mod-rewrite/.htaccess being used to convert strings (?q=# etc) to look like folders.
    Mambo and Drupal are current flavour of the month. Checking user sites on their forums and googling on "powered by mambo" etc.. I was more impressed with mambo google results from an seo perspective. I will likely go with tetxpattern.com, who's sites also do well in google, as its lighter & more suited to my smaller site with less bloat.
    As BroadProsepect mentioned - its not as easy to changee & handcraft titles, metatags etc and you do get locked in to the design framework.

www.opensourcecms.com list many cms with commentaries & ratings - but many seem to have little development or support.
    Last edited by DerekZ; Apr 21st, 2004 at 10:20 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by dbdesign
    I have a travel site that I'm currently in the process of redeveloping
    its focus in excellent content and the current site is linked by some big players. The site would be Ad/link
    supported. Not a get rich scheme but a solid content site that has value to travelers and shows stunning pictures.

The budget for development is very small and I'm pulling every string I can to make
    it happen.

My question is to everyone who reads this is.

If you had a limited budget and wanted to develop a Database driven website that was
    search friendly and easy to maintain what software would you use? Is there any opensource
    that would be a good starting point (i've looked a phpnuke) not sure if it will work. Or do you think
    that I need to purchase something off the shelf like Ektron?

Thanks in advance for your time.
    well I'd do the work myself... after work and on weekends.
    That's pretty much the routine for me now anyway.
    i'm a web programmer for a fortune 500 company by day and a web programmer/developer for my own company
    by night
    If you can catch me on yahoo I'd be more than happy to discuss your project with you
    M3gatron69 is my screen name.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Try looking at some of the cms in www.aspin.com