1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I need a Wordpress Image Gallery

I took over a site that consisted of old football player pictures. It was pretty archaic and I thought taking the pictures and using any old regular Wordpress image gallery plugin would do wonders for it.
    Was I wrong.
    Well, after checking out about 8 of the "Best" Gallery plugins I am very disappointed and frustrated. So I thought I'd ask here for some suggestions.
    For starters, I need albums and galleries - Albums for teams, Galleries for players. I would also like to be able to create galleries from filtered results. If a player played for more than one team I want it to be possible to to make a gallery from pictures of that player with that team. And one other thing as far as this goes. The generated gallery needs to be displayed like it was a normal gallery.
    Secondly, I need to be able to put the gallery and/or album on a post. The "#1 Most Downloaded Gallery" only lets you post albums on pages. And as trivial as this may seem, it actually screws up the entire concept of what I want to do.

Anyway if anybody has any suggestions for image galleries please tell me about them.
    Last edited by Philbeaux; Dec 12th, 2015 at 07:42 AM.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Sorry for the late reply, have you found a solution to this?
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not Really.
    Right now I'm going to just try and work with what I got.
    Displaying the images isn't the problem. There's literally dozens of plugins that will do that - 346 different ways to display a lightbox. Whoppie.
    The best way I can point it out is, Image Galleries focus on the images. Pretty elementary huh? My focus is on the content, which in this case, is the players and in turn, images of the players.
    What I want is a way to organize and categorize the images in multiple way. None of the available image galleries do this. So for the time being I'm just going to use a combination of the default Wordpress Gallery and NextGen.

I did find one premium plugin, Justified Image Grid that looks like it will do a better job of organizing the images like I want. It works with NextGen and extends a lot of the functions. Well, that's what they say. I think I'll give it a try here soon.

After almost 2 months of trying to get something going, I am just downright depressed with this whole project. It's ridiculous how difficult and restrictive Wordpress is when it comes to displaying images.
  7. Super Moderator

Have you got any examples of this working?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The Gallery?
    Sure:
    NFL Past Players A Picture Gallery of Past NFL Players

Far from complete I'm afraid but it's a start.

This is what I'm trying as far as some navigation goes:

A Name Players NFL Past Players

I'm hoping to further be able to categorize by position and team but that will come later.
  11. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Philbeaux
    The Gallery?
    Sure:
    NFL Past Players A Picture Gallery of Past NFL Players

Far from complete I'm afraid but it's a start.

This is what I'm trying as far as some navigation goes:

A Name Players NFL Past Players

I'm hoping to further be able to categorize by position and team but that will come later.
    https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/nextgen-gallery/

That's the plugin that they are using.

Believe so from here in their source code on here "view-source:NFL Past Players – A Picture Gallery of Past NFL Players "

<style id="custom-css-css">.col-3cm .main-inner,.col-2cr .main-inner{background:#fff;padding-left:340px;padding-right:260px}.player_list ul{margin:0 auto}.player_list li{float:left;padding:3px;margin:4px;width:164px;h eight:198px;text-align:center;font-weight:700;color:#000;border:1px solid #000}.player_list img{padding:2px}.player_list a{height:50px}.player_list a:hover{color:red}</style>
    <link rel='stylesheet' id='ngg_trigger_buttons-css' href='http://nflpastplayers.com/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/nextgen_gallery_display/static/trigger_buttons.min.css?ver=4.4' type='text/css' media='all' />
    <link rel='stylesheet' id='fancybox-0-css' href='http://nflpastplayers.com/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/lightbox/static/fancybox/jquery.fancybox-1.3.4.min.css?ver=4.4' type='text/css' media='all' />
    <link rel='stylesheet' id='fontawesome-css' href='http://nflpastplayers.com/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/nextgen_gallery_display/static/fontawesome/font-awesome.min.css?ver=4.4' type='text/css' media='all' />
    <link rel='stylesheet' id='nextgen_basic_thumbnails_style-css' href='http://nflpastplayers.com/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/nextgen_basic_gallery/static/thumbnails/nextgen_basic_thumbnails.min.css?ver=4.4' type='text/css' media='all' />
    <link rel='stylesheet' id='nextgen_pagination_style-css' href='http://nflpastplayers.com/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/nextgen_pagination/static/style.min.css?ver=4.4' type='text/css' media='all' />
    <link rel='stylesheet' id='nggallery-css' href='http://nflpastplayers.com/wp-content/ngg_styles/nggallery.css?ver=4.4' type='text/css' media='all' />
    Last edited by ThomasHarvey; Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:02 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes Thomas,

That is my site that I'm working on.
  15. Super Moderator

Yes Thomas,

That is my site that I'm working on.
    Ah, well I feel silly now, I meant a site where you see what you want working?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ThomasHarvey
    Ah, well I feel silly now, I meant a site where you see what you want working?
    Actually, I don't have a example.

I've seen some pretty gorgeous galleries out there, but I think a big part of that is the quality of the images. If you noticed, what I got to work with really isn't top quality. So I decided to just try to make it a uniform looking grid gallery.
    But, while we are on the subject.......

New Orleans Saints Pictures and Images

This is actually my site too, well it's part of one of my sites. It's a fan site for my NFL favorite team, the New Orleans Saints.
    It was made with an image gallery program called Gallery3 and have always loved what it did. My dream has been to find a plugin that could recreate it.
    The problem is it's very outdated and hasn't been updated in years and isn't even supported anymore. Besides it requires several plugins to get the desired results (no longer up dated either) and last
    but not least it gives Google fits with crawling errors.
    But like I've said, I really like the end result of what it does.

I think what has been so frustrating to me is that I don't want anything complicated. I want to be able to display images on a post! I'm not kidding, the last 2 weeks have been spent just trying to find a way to display the thumbnails correctly! (and just FYI ... if your having trouble with thumbnails and are using JetPack.... disable Photon.)
    I realize I'm no programmer, but seriously... how difficult can it be to split up a gallery of a player into pictures of him for 2 different teams? Supposedly that Justified Image Grid plugin will do that. I'm just been so disappointed with what's out there that I'm really reluctant to plop down $30 for something that's just more of the same.

I know I'm starting to ramble and cry so I'll just stop.

I still have several hundred players left with several thousand pics so I've got a lot of time to get it right before I'm done.
  19. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I must have missed your first post too. I've used https://wordpress.org/plugins/media-library-assistant/ to run my photography site. It allows you to create a gallery by category (team) and/or tags (player).
    - Mike

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  21. Just a Photographer

Just to add, the developer (David) updates the plugin and if you need help, he's more the willing to help.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Hikin Mike
    I must have missed your first post too. I've used https://wordpress.org/plugins/media-library-assistant/ to run my photography site. It allows you to create a gallery by category (team) and/or tags (player).
    Well hey Mike!
    Yes... You've told me about your site the "Last" time I was looking for an image gallery. I pretty much gave up on the idea.
    This is actually something different I'm doing.

How are you doing with your photography? I haven't been to your site in a while but I remember it was really nice. Weren't you using 2 applications to run your gallery?
  25. Just a Photographer

Well hey Mike!
    Yes... You've told me about your site the "Last" time I was looking for an image gallery. I pretty much gave up on the idea.
    This is actually something different I'm doing.

How are you doing with your photography? I haven't been to your site in a while but I remember it was really nice. Weren't you using 2 applications to run your gallery?
    Still kicking, photography-wise. I'm using a few plugins to run the e-Commerce. I was using the MLA plugin to power the galleries a few years ago, but I decided to use the standard WP gallery and a portfolio plugin now.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well I'm going to give that plug in a try. I may have looked at it the last time I trying to do an image gallery but I'll try to be a little more patient this time.
    Thanks Dude.
    And Merry Christmas!
  29. No Profile Picture

I use Justified Image grid and like it a lot. However my thoughts on anything Wordpress is dont devaite to far from the core if at all possible. Plugin developers often dissapear leaving you high and dry and unsupported in your project. if your going to use plugin use the ones with lots of downlaods as they tend to be around long term.