1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

How to take data from a form and turn it into an HTML page.

My lack of coding skill is showing on this one, but I'm hoping someone can help. I want to build a series of static html pages for an existing site, and all the pages will have identical formatting and be rather simple, but they will each have about 15 different fields and 2-3 pictures that will need to be filled in. What I'm trying to figure out how to do is create a form, html or otherwise, to enter this data, then have that data/pictures plugged into an existing html template, at which point I can manually upload it. Some of the fields will be used in multiple places, such as title and meta tags.

Though it would seem that way, I don't think I want to create a database-driven setup. I just want a way to automate some redundant tasks to speed things along and reduce the chance for human error.

For example, is there some kind of way to write a macro from Dreamweaver to pull entries from a form (or even better yet, have the form within Dreamweaver) and fill in specific areas of an html template?

I'm not looking for a handout - if there are tutorials or concepts anyone can think of, please point me in that direction and I'll do the leg work (though if you have a handout, I'm not too proud to take it ;) ).

Thanks in advance.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Sounds like you are looking for a CMS (content management system). If so, do your homework and make sure you find one that creates seo-friendly pages. If that's not what you are wanting, then I'm not sure where to lead you. Maybe someone else has ideas.
  5. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

AFAIK - PHP is pretty good with handling form contents, but I'm not there yet (I still have a lot of PHP exercises and tutorials to finish). Hope someone here knows of a nice DW macro or a sweet little CMS, but if not you're going to have to code your b*tt off
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    <`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I'm feeling pretty novice at the moment - not sure if a CMS is what I'm after.

I won't be creating pages en masse - but each time I site down to create them I'll probably make 5-10. And I don't mind doing it offline and uploading them - it doesn't need to be an instant php page ala directory scripts or forums (plus I'm a little gunshy about php, considering how much work I had to do to get our forum site indexed well (though I realize that's dynamic and this is static - even so, html seems to be much more SE friendly for whatever reason)).

Hmmm - how about this - is there a way to create a template in Dreamweaver or some other wysiwyg/text editor where, like an Excel spreadsheet, I can create a template where only certain areas are available to edit, and I can just tab from one to the next? I'd be satisfied with that.
    Thanks for taking the time to help.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but let's see.

Can I assume that you have the 15 or so html pages already built, and then based on the form input, you want to load a specific html page?

If so, you need a very simple script between the form and the html page. The script can be php, asp, etc. Let's say it is asp. The form would post to the script page.

The script page has no html in it all, no head, no body. We'll call it load-html.asp. The code would look like:

%@Language=VBScript %

<%
    Dim myVariable

myVariable = request.form("someFormChoice")

If myVariable = "red" Then response.redirect "red-stuff.html"
    If myVariable = "blue" Then response.redirect "blue-stuff.html"
    If myVariable = "green" Then response.redirect "green-stuff.html"

If myVariable = "" Then response.redirect "noFormInput-error.html"
    %>
    The red-stuff, green-stuff, blue-stuff pages are your static html.

The request.form data must be the name of the form element. So if that element were "color_categories" it would then need to be request.form("color_categories").

The actual data in color_categories is loaded into myVariable. The condition is then tested with If/Then and the appropriate redirect is executed.

/*tom*/

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo