Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How important is w3c validator

How important is it in terms of seo for your site to pass the w3c validator ???????
  3. Newbie
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Well, I'm not sure what weight other people give it but we do not consider it a factor (I'd love to be proven wrong if I am - it's another thing to add to our list! ).

We do design our websites with accessibility in mind, but it can be hard to w3c validate if you are designing for multiple browsers, although I'm sure there is a valid way to go around it.
  5. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

as a rule i always abide by it, but that is only from a userbility point of view as it helps with accessablility and load time. in terms of google? it does not matter whatsoever. Do you think ebay etc would be ranking if it did matter?

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.ebay.com/&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&gro up=0
  7. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by craigc0302
    How important is it in terms of seo for your site to pass the w3c validator ???????
    Not even a little bit important. Run Google.com through W3C validators , it has 48 errors and 2 warnings.

However, you will always run into a client with an IT guy that insists on it passing. In this case it's probably easier to fix the errors than fight the battle. IT guys can be a bit stubborn
  9. rod@missionop.com

For knowledge building "ABSOLUTE NECESSITY"

For SEO value (outside of knoweldge building) worthless.

If you have the time and the patience for it you should validate everything... but not because it will improve ranks or searcher/visitor appeal... because it won't...

The only thing it will do is help you appreciate why a useragent (such as Google for Googlebot) might use a specific element as an algorithm factor.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

agreed with all here....totally SEO worthless....we dont bother with same but that CAN get tons of rants/offensive posts should you ask for help with a cross-browser problem, ie say in CSS or a <table> issue. most folks who totally buy into the validation IMHO, are proud of the fact that they can build same....more so, I suspect than any client I've ever had who could care less....whether it validates or not. All they're interested in is cross-browser compatibility and how many conversions were there yesterday....ie the ROI on same is non-existant in their minds.

might be only us canucks. might be due to the fact that most of our clients are above 40 years of age ie 'non gen-X or gen-Y" folks....who run a business, not a paradigm.

sorry, not on a horse here...but the tone that you see in many many cross-browser forums is pretty 'ranty' - ie validate or go away...sigh...bugs me a bit...but then hey, maybe if I was 23 it'd be more important....but aint for me and mine....

:-|

Jim

Comments on this post

• pro_seo agrees : Love the smileys at the end of your posts :)
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

13. SEO Junkie
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I really use W3C simply to help my find problems in my coding if there is issues in the browser with display (say I forgot to close a table cell or a div, etc.). Google doesnt really care about that, just your content.

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    However, you will always run into a client with an IT guy that insists on it passing. In this case it's probably easier to fix the errors than fight the battle. IT guys can be a bit stubborn
    Yes we can be
  15. rod@missionop.com

That's absolute BS!

You'll never find any IT guy that demands an SEO fix his design errors... you may find an IT guy that does it himself... and won't accept coding changes from you that aren't w3c compliant.

If an IT guy wants to pass that buck on to me as a deliverable... I'd charge $50K to do it... if they are willing to cough up the money - whom am I to argue.

Comments on this post

• JVRudnick agrees : AND...that's $50k US....dang exchange anyways...but US buck are the currency of the web, eh! :-))
  17. Agency SEO

Originally Posted by fathom
    That's absolute BS!

You'll never find any IT guy that demands an SEO fix his design errors... you may find an IT guy that does it himself... and won't accept coding changes from you that aren't w3c compliant.

If an IT guy wants to pass that buck on to me as a deliverable... I'd charge $50K to do it... if they are willing to cough up the money - whom am I to argue.
    Innocent comment, didn't mean to get you riled. (IT guys in my world don't do design) I'm usually on the point with the client after the web design is finished and I am doing the SEO so I hear the complaint.
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Jun 24th, 2009 at 04:23 PM.
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I haven't found any mash-up type stuff that will pass, whether from google, yahoo, or anyone else.
  21. Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The onus to pass the W3C validation is on the developers and the designers of the website - not the SEO's

And the validation has got nothing to do with SEO [generating ranks]

As long as you have indexable content on your website, a good internal navigation and great links pointing to your website you can have great ranks in the search engines

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  23. rod@missionop.com

Innocent comment, didn't mean to get you riled friend (IT guys in my world don't do design) I'm usually on the point with the client after the web design is finished and I am doing the SEO so I hear the complaint. I will choose my words more carefully in the future.
    Not to offend anyone... when we all disappear and never to come back to this thread again... it will be found in search results for years to come... and "you wrote it - it must be true" and lurkers will "spread the word"... but was it accurate?

They probably won't ask 3 years from now... "is this accurate?"... they'll just take your word for it and spread what? ... a false claim?

IT Guys that don't do design - don't hire SEOs to fix design errors... if they are concerned with w3c compliancy that would already be completed... the site would already be compliant.

This is a SEO forum.
    Last edited by fathom; Jun 24th, 2009 at 04:23 PM.
  25. Contributing User

One note, the validator can find problems that might effect SEO, like a missing > in a title tag... I have seen that before.
  27. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by seo-sparky
    One note, the validator can find problems that might effect SEO, like a missing > in a title tag... I have seen that before.
    You mean a competent SEO (well everyone related to the domain actually) would miss a blank listing at search engines?

How is that possible? Oh no one is interested in ranks - right?

Sounds vaguely like "you lie!"

Talk about incompetence in SEO... not noticing a missing title element until a w3c validator picks it up.
  29. Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    You mean a competent SEO (well everyone related to the domain actually) would miss a blank listing at search engines?

How is that possible? Oh no one is interested in ranks - right?

Sounds vaguely like "you lie!"

Talk about incompetence in SEO... not noticing a missing title element until a w3c validator picks it up.
    Maybe that was a bad example... how about a missing quote in an alt tag or a meta description...

It's a tool that can help, everyone makes mistakes, except maybe you.

Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?
    Last edited by seo-sparky; Jun 24th, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: