Thread: Above the Fold?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Above the Fold?

So I am a designer / developer and I hear people talk about "above the fold" all the time. So where exactly does the fold end and begin? Thoughts?
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Rather than wasting time... just do a search, e.g. Google query.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. Contributing User

I have researched this topic. I am looking for opinions and thoughts here on the forum. This is not a "I need help question".

I should clarify though. I am speaking about this in context of design and development, not which page a site appears on for a google search query.
  7. B afraid.. B very afraid!

In my above post I provided a link to an exacting description/definition of what "above the fold" means. Opinion has nothing to do with it. It is what it is.
  9. Contributing User

So the term above the fold refers to google results only? So the fold on my phone is the first result. I am just wondering why people still talk about a fold.
  11. No Profile Picture

Hello all! The location of the "fold" (the point on the page where you have to scroll down to read more) varies depending on screen resolution and device. Since I have a lot of pages I'm working on at any given time, I simply don't have time to check all possible screen resolutions and devices. So, since I am always pressed for time, when I design any of my pages (in Dreamweaver...not that it matters...), I always preview it in all browsers to be sure everything renders properly. Then, I like to be relatively sure that my call-to-action button will end up being above the fold. My screen resolution is set to 1600 x 900. Once I verify that everything looks good at that resolution, I zoom in to 125% (CTRL + "+" twice), which is a "decent" indication of what the display would be for, say, a laptop. This covers me for "most" of the variations in resolution for desktops and laptops, but it is just a quick gauge and it doesn't take into consideration people viewing it through mobile devices (my opinion is....you should have a mobile site for those!) But, there are plenty of tools that you can use for a precise review. If you design in Dreamweaver, for example, you can change the WINDOW SIZE to see how your page will lay out across different devices. Hope this helps! Good day all!
  13. No Profile Picture

That's not accurate. It has nothing to do with Google. It has everything to do with screen resolution and page layout. When you are viewing a web page, everything you see on YOUR screen when you first open the page is "above the fold." If you have to scroll down to see anything else, you are now going "below the fold". The "fold" is simply the point at which you have to scroll down.
  15. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Kavorka... In SEO when we talk about above the fold, we are usually talking about where on the first page of the SERPs you rank. So Google, Bing, etc. are relevant to what "above the fold" means within SEO. In most cases on a SERP page, positions 1-5 are above the fold.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Kavorka... In SEO when we talk about above the fold, we are usually talking about where on the first page of the SERPs you rank. So Google, Bing, etc. are relevant to what "above the fold" means within SEO. In most cases on a SERP page, positions 1-5 are above the fold.
    Correct, but the original poster said he was specifically talking about on-page design, not Google results...and this phrase accurately describes both. I was just hoping to answer his question as it was asked. But yes, in terms of SEO, you're right of course... But I think he was referring more to landing page optimization. Anyway, well...there it is!
  19. Contributing User

The considerations you mentioned are things that are always on my mind. When designing sites I always make sure to test on multiple devices OS and browsers and resolutions. I just hear people mention "the fold" all the time and I am just wondering where it ends and where it begins. Does it have a pixel value? would it be 768 pixels? the most popular screen resolution globally as i write this is 1366 x 768. In the end of the day web design as a medium is a moving target. The truth is there is no fixed width!
  21. B afraid.. B very afraid!

If you are not talking about SEO... go to the various web design forums/blogs and start your discussion there. This forum is SEO Chat.

Edit: I know you are in a sub-forum about web design, however, I think it should be interpreted as web design as it relates to SEO.
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Mar 26th, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
  23. Contributing User

Sorry to offend you. I wanted to start this discussion to discuss both. I meant know disrespect. To note I made sure to start this discussion in the web design, and coding section of SEO chat.
  25. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I think this topic fits just fine here, its in the right sub-forum so I don't see your problem SEO_AM?

I know this isn't directly related to seo, but design can play a big part in who well your on-site seo works so this topic shouldn't be pushed away simply because its not directly about seo.

This might be seen as going a little off-topic, but if you have a read of Google Updates Above the Fold Page Layout Algorithm - Search Engine Watch (#SEW) this is still considered somewhat relevant to seo and something even google looks at in terms of what you are displaying above the fold on your pages.

To answer your question more directly Paul, if you click to [New Feature]: Conduct Browser-Size Analysis Within Google Analytics - Analytics Blog which is linked in the first link I shared, you will be able to read about viewing what's seen as "above the fold" for the sites you have in analytics (in-page is under content) which should be quite helpful for you
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  27. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Not offended. It is just that I doubt if you will get much of a conversation going here at SEO Chat on things that are not directly related to SEO, e.g. above the fold as it relates to SEO. Could be wrong... but I doubt it.

Edit: NatB... everything you are citing is as it relates to SEO... Exactly my point.
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Mar 26th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
  29. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Edit: NatB... everything you are citing is as it relates to SEO... Exactly my point.
    If my answer relates to seo does that not mean the question does somewhat to?

I do agree with you that Paul may well get more responses in terms of design on a design oriented forum, but the question also has some value in terms of seo and conversion IMO as per my reply
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: