1. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Work for your audience

From the last couple of days, i am chasing a thread that is about PBNs, then certainly Chadders has shared a link at How 16 Companies are Dominating the World’s Google Search Results that tells about how some sites are dominating in Google searches from many years. Even there are many things of these sites that seem to be redflags but still these sites are generating huge organic traffic.

It doen't means that I am saying we should stop work on our sites those are strugling for ranking organically but we would need to think out of box try to figure out what all are the other plateform where we can influence our audiences. That is totally upto you.

What is your call?
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  3. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I didn't know these specifics, but 'content is king' has never been my catchphrase. Instead, its Google is the 'Citizens United' of the internet. They favor heavy links over everything else, and particularly after an Algo update a couple of years back.
  5. Dinosaur

Its really a percentage game, the big boys get away with it simply because they are so big and dominate a market, using that power to also influence other new sites is always going to be possible because beside the few red flags they have that for the everyman would receive a penalty they over come it because of the huge backlink profile and trust they already have. So if a small site has 90% bad links its going to get hammered, However someone like vogue magazine with millions of links will be allowed to get away with it as its like less than 1% of their backlink profile.

I am afraid nothing has really changed but the article shows how bad it has got, if the big guns want to move into a market place they can just push their way in with their huge page rank and authority even if its a new site as their other domains can help bring it to page 1 within 6 week from concept to page 1. In the good old days it was very much a level playing field, a person in a back bedroom could outrange the largest brands if he/she did a good enough job, Google came along with page rank and that then went out the window.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  7. Entrepreneur

In the good old days it was very much a level playing field, a person in a back bedroom could outrange the largest brands if he/she did a good enough job, Google came along with page rank and that then went out the window
    Chadders, you mean to say previously it was possible that we could beat the big brand and now not. So is there any scope is available for the small site if the want to dominate in the market and they are not the big guns?
  9. Dinosaur

While google continue to use page rank as a major part of their algo outranking a huge brand is always going to be difficult.
    Times are changing and page rank its believed to be lowering in importance but at the moment its still is the driving force in if a site ranks or not. The long tale route is where the small business can compete and make real ground on the big sites as often its not worth their effort in going after.but enables the small sites to chip away and gain some traction.
  11. Entrepreneur

Chadders I completely agree with you. I give an example of my own experience most of the times I selected Amazon for online shopping as I trusted more than any other shopping portal but certainly, my wife insisted me that why you don't select Snapdeal as they are selling the same products from their site at the cheaper price. I reviewed the price and found some margins then finally selected this site for my shopping. From that time I prefer to select this site only.
  13. Dinosaur

A good example of using longtail instead of going after the big money keywords as many do is our experimental site. Totally built targeting low volume keywords but lots of them, in its first year we are on target to hit 1 million users. From that amount of traffic comes credibility within its niche. The site now has good traction and is organically growing month on month so soon it will be easier to start ranking for some more competitive terms. The biggest issue I always find is that people dont get is time, everyone wants it today, things like this take time to mature and grow and patience is key.
  15. Entrepreneur

Chadders, I give an another similar example I worked on the site they deal in finance in Canada and you know fiance is most competitive niches and only some big sites are dominating with money keywords. So when we started working on the site then we realized that we were 3rd page 2nd page from a couple of months but not top 10 in a single high competitive keyword. Concurrently we were working for local listing still we didn' receive leads from organic searches, so our client were shouting us then certainly we realised that we should add some long tail keywords in ranking sheet as we can easily push these terms and our client will be also happy because they are getting additional new keywords with previous money keywords. After few months the site had started leads from organic searches but we received this after 6 months. Most import parts were our and client patient. Yes, the patient is the key.
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Feb 22nd, 2017 at 05:18 AM. Reason: typo