1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

How to cool down from bad customers

I don't actually know why I'm making this post...

I own a little business which searches for driving tests...

I've worked very hard over the past 10 months, I work 18 hour days... reply to every customer within a minute or so, break my terms and conditions to please the customer if necessary. I decided to link up with a third party review company...

Loads of 5* reviews, happy days... Then I had two clients say something along the lines of "excellent service, wouldn't change a thing!" then 3 star me... I mean?

Today, a client filled out their information completely wrong, and because of this, we booked a date which they didn't really want, but - they filled out that they did want this date, so it actually their error. First thing they do is write me a 1* review, due to their mistake.

Firstly, I'm very nice about it... say I'll do everything I can to fix their issues! I'll find an alternative appointment for them etc etc... get nothing but rudeness back, despite the fact it was their fault. Called the software "stupid" for not "figuring out" that they didn't want this date.

My inexperience got to me and I lost my professionalism for one email. Wish I didn't, it my reponse wasn't too bad, but I shouldn't have done it. It now feels like months of licking licking my clients A... priding myself in excellent support has now gone down the pan because of a client with an IQ of a pea. My rating has now fallen loads...

Just really annoyed... What do you guys do with troubled clients?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I'm from Colorado. A joint helps a lot. After a few tokes, you simply don't care anymore.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It happens to all of us but if majority of your client's scored you A's, then it shouldn't be a problem for future clients with IQs larger than a pea.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seeker1375
    I'm from Colorado. A joint helps a lot. After a few tokes, you simply don't care anymore.
    lol I love this
  9. No Profile Picture

Unfortunately you just have to bite your lip and hold it in. Especially these days with relying on social media so much, one bad review and it can really dent your reputation.

I know this sounds strange, but I always find it best to detach/dissociate your 'normal-self' from work. Think of it as having two modes/personalities, one being: home/personal and the other: work mode. So you don't take things personally when you're in work mode, except when the situation really demands it. You just get on with the job, maintaining that 'professionalism' and once you 'punch out', you enter home mode, where you can relax and just be yourself.
  11. Contributing User

Nothing you can do but keep up the good work & get more great reviews. Unfortunately you will always get some tool who blames everyone but themselves for their own ineptitude!

Actually, there might be a few things you can do legitiemately, depending on the review company/platform. Some have the right to reply, so you can point out how you bent over backwards to help the pea brain & subtly show other customers that they are the problem.

The other thing you could do is contact the customers who said everything was great, but gave you 3s, ask them why they did not give you a 4 or 5. If the review company allows second reviews, or scores to be changed they could up the score, which would really help negate pea brains 1 star dragging you down...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Matt1966,
    It's a bastard, no risk! Revenge is a dish best served cold!

Let off some steam immediately in the method you prefer, (mine's a glass or two of red wine) then think how you can use the situation to your advantage.

I think every client I've lost over the last 23 years (and there have been "squillions") has lost 50+% of their generic search traffic in the first few months. Not that I'm so good, more that most SEOs are so C--P.

In spite of the huge SE drops, no ex-client wants an "I told you so" from an ex-supplier. So forget using it this way.

Can you turn these lost souls into a useful promotional resource for your business? There are many SEOs offering "before and after" SEO stories of minor benefit. If you are a good SEO you could have "after and before" stories of monumental difference.

I have many "after and before" SEO stories with a huge result difference that I could promote (anonymously) on the dangers of believing garbage SEO consultants.

Have your ex-clients presented you with a similar opportunity?