1. Administrator
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Google's April Fools' Day Prank Backfires

So, here's the article.

Google always does a bunch of things for April Fools' Day. This year, I guess they have something like 5 pranks going at once across their properties. And they had one for Gmail...keyword had.

"The Gmail Mic Drop" as Google calls it in an official blog post, did a few things:

1. Inserts a gif into your email (a Minion from Despicable Me, dressed like the Queen of England, dropping a mic).
    2. Makes it so that you don't get any more replies - even if people are sending them to you. You just won't see them.

The problem is that they added the "Mic Drop" button riiiiight next to the normal "send" button. So it was pretty easy to press by mistake.

Jobs were lost, relationships were ended, people were insulted, everything was chaos. Google says "Well, it looks like we pranked ourselves this year."

More fun to be had on this guy's Twitter timeline. I think he was one of the first people to call it out as a bad idea.

Pretty crazy! Makes me glad that we didn't plan anything for SEO Chat this year. I'm so dense sometimes that it probably would have been an equally disastrous affair >.>
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

They shouldn't have messed around with Gmail, maybe they overlooked the fact that their email service is used not just for casual conversation between friends but also for very serious reasons.

If at all they wanted to do it; they should have given an alert pop-up after pressing the Send+Mic Drop button notifying the user that the reply to this email would not be delivered.

Messed up big time.

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hahaha.... OOPS!

Serious Google
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  7. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

And at the same time they promote Gmail for business. That's what I call a bad beat
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I was sending a business related email when I saw this button there, I almost clicked on it...
    I'm glad I didn't!