1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Can't edit profile?

So I'm trying to edit my profile but it keeps telling me that I'm a new registered member and that I need to activate my account. I sent several activation codes to my e-mail but I get nothing.

Also, I have over 10 posts.. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Regards,
    Glenn
    Last edited by Test-ok; Mar 17th, 2016 at 04:00 AM.
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I have no idea what your talking about.

Comments on this post

• Z Warriors : Read.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I have no idea what your talking about.
    Dear "Test-ok", thank you very much for your reply on this matter. I appreciate the concern and very informative post. Allow me to re-clarify my question to you, hoping that you can understand my question.

So I'm trying to edit my profile but it keeps telling me that I'm a new registered member and that I need to activate my account. I sent several activation codes to my e-mail but I get nothing.

Also, I have over 10 posts.. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Regards,
    Glenn
    Like I stated above. I will try to make this as clear as possible for you.

I'm trying to EDIT my PROFILE, but it says that I need to ACTIVATE my account. I can do that by filling in a FORM on this FORUM. The FORM asks for my E-MAIL ADDRESS. I fill in my E-mAIL ADDRESS and click "SEND ACTIVATION CODE", I however, do not receive this E-MAIL, thus not being able to ACTIVATE my ACCOUNT.

Thanks,
    Glenn
  7. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hi Glenn,

Users on our forums have several different levels of access. The forums are hit by so much spam, and so frequently, and in so many different ways (spammers are extremely creative and persistent folks) that users are currently stratified into 5 groups. That's not counting mods or banned users. Users automatically advance to different groups based on three things:

1. The length of time that they've been a member.
    2. The number of reputation points that they have earned from other users.
    3. The number of posts that they have made.

We do this to gradually open up access and privileges to users over time as they participate. There are 5 levels, so some privileges will open up before others...and others will be withheld for a longer amount of time. You could compare it to a person who has been in a series of very bad relationships - they don't trust easily, and only gradually open up to others.

You are currently at the 2nd of 5 levels. At your level, I believe you should notice these changes:

1. The automatic filter is less strict with you. So posts with links are less frequently thrown into a moderation queue. Most of your posts should go through the first time.
    2. Your new threads are not automatically moved to our "New User Q&A" section.

But I don't believe you have the ability to add, say, a profile picture or a forum signature yet.

I feel like the confirmation email is probably the source of most of your frustration right now. And it is a frustrating and hard to understand feature of the forums.

Short story: we don't use a confirmation email system. Profile privileges like signatures and avatars unlock as you advance up the usergroup ladder. However, our forum software doesn't really understand that - so it makes reference to a confirmation email system that doesn't exist. I apologize for the frustration that can cause.

Long story: SEO Chat runs on vBulletin. vBulletin can be customized to a degree, but some things are harder to change than others. Other things can't be changed at all. Our usergroups (the 5 groups) are set up to restrict privileges. vBulletin is able to do this, but not able to understand the context. So instead of telling someone "You don't have the proper usergroup privileges to access this feature yet. Please continue participating on the forums and they will unlock naturally over time!" vBulletin instead says something about a confirmation email. That's the only way vBulletin understands why privileges would be restricted, and it's the only way it knows how to tell users what to do.

I've manually upgraded your access. You should be able to add a profile picture now. Signatures are still something that we hold in reserve. I'm afraid that they are so badly abused that I don't like to give them out until people earn them naturally.

Were there any other areas of your profile that you were unable to access? I'd be happy to look into it and try to open them up for you if I'm able.

And in the future, please don't use such a condescending tone with other users. I understand your frustration - it's happened to other users too - but it's really not necessary. I think you were reading condescension into Test-ok's post, but really I think he was just trying to respond to you as quickly as possible. He didn't know the answer - I do. Unfortunately I'm not online as early as he is. But I am now and I'll be here all day (until 7pm EST anyway) to help however I can

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton agrees
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by markroberts
    Hi Glenn,

Users on our forums have several different levels of access. The forums are hit by so much spam, and so frequently, and in so many different ways (spammers are extremely creative and persistent folks) that users are currently stratified into 5 groups. That's not counting mods or banned users. Users automatically advance to different groups based on three things:

1. The length of time that they've been a member.
    2. The number of reputation points that they have earned from other users.
    3. The number of posts that they have made.

We do this to gradually open up access and privileges to users over time as they participate. There are 5 levels, so some privileges will open up before others...and others will be withheld for a longer amount of time. You could compare it to a person who has been in a series of very bad relationships - they don't trust easily, and only gradually open up to others.

You are currently at the 2nd of 5 levels. At your level, I believe you should notice these changes:

1. The automatic filter is less strict with you. So posts with links are less frequently thrown into a moderation queue. Most of your posts should go through the first time.
    2. Your new threads are not automatically moved to our "New User Q&A" section.

But I don't believe you have the ability to add, say, a profile picture or a forum signature yet.

I feel like the confirmation email is probably the source of most of your frustration right now. And it is a frustrating and hard to understand feature of the forums.

Short story: we don't use a confirmation email system. Profile privileges like signatures and avatars unlock as you advance up the usergroup ladder. However, our forum software doesn't really understand that - so it makes reference to a confirmation email system that doesn't exist. I apologize for the frustration that can cause.

Long story: SEO Chat runs on vBulletin. vBulletin can be customized to a degree, but some things are harder to change than others. Other things can't be changed at all. Our usergroups (the 5 groups) are set up to restrict privileges. vBulletin is able to do this, but not able to understand the context. So instead of telling someone "You don't have the proper usergroup privileges to access this feature yet. Please continue participating on the forums and they will unlock naturally over time!" vBulletin instead says something about a confirmation email. That's the only way vBulletin understands why privileges would be restricted, and it's the only way it knows how to tell users what to do.

I've manually upgraded your access. You should be able to add a profile picture now. Signatures are still something that we hold in reserve. I'm afraid that they are so badly abused that I don't like to give them out until people earn them naturally.

Were there any other areas of your profile that you were unable to access? I'd be happy to look into it and try to open them up for you if I'm able.

And in the future, please don't use such a condescending tone with other users. I understand your frustration - it's happened to other users too - but it's really not necessary. I think you were reading condescension into Test-ok's post, but really I think he was just trying to respond to you as quickly as possible. He didn't know the answer - I do. Unfortunately I'm not online as early as he is. But I am now and I'll be here all day (until 7pm EST anyway) to help however I can
    Sorry, I was frustrated indeed, the anwser the user provided was pretty short and he could've anwsered differently. Thanks for your input, I appreciate your explanation.

Regards,
    Glenn
  11. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

For the record: it would help if our forum's automated response didn't mention "activation codes" etc. in this (or any) case.
    People keep asking about "activating accounts", which is apparently totally irrelevant.
    Maybe someone should look into vB's standard texts and change some?

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
  13. Not An Expert

That's a good point. No promises - but when I have some free time I'll look into this and see if I can fix it myself.
  15. No Profile Picture

Hey Mark,

I'm having the same issue... I completely understand placing newbies in a "holding tank" before they can add a signature but would you be willing to let me add a profile pic and maybe a bio? You guys have done a really nice job creating a solid resource for everyone (thank you!) so I will definitely be frequenting here, both as a contributor and student
  17. Not An Expert

Hey whitwhit, and welcome to SEO Chat!

I'd prefer not to break our own rules that often or this early...it's true that I manually upgrade people from time to time but I try to only do it for users who have already made some posts and given me a sense of who they are and why they're here.

Sorry

Though if you are going to be an active member of our community, I'm sure that I'll get a sense of that sooner rather than later.

I also think that I'll close this thread for now. If anyone has issues with something like this in the future feel free to start your own Water Cooler (or better yet - Suggestions and Feedback) thread for it. Or email me at markr@imninjas.com or PM me.