1. Data Analysis+KW Research
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What are your thoughts on 10,000 character limit?

How will it influence SMM, Blogging, Marketing in general? Your thoughts?
  3. Administrator
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I found WebmasterWorld's thread about the topic to be really interesting. Users over there speculate that the reasons for Twitter expanding their character limit are:

1. To encourage users to spend more time on Twitter
    2. To encourage fewer outbound links
    3. To turn Twitter into even more of a "micro-blog"
    4. To compete with Facebook

Most users are not at all optimistic about the change.

Originally Posted by JS_Harris
    What MADE twitter is that celebrities and companies jumped on board early. "Visit us on Facebook AND Twitter". That little official celebrity checkmark for official accounts was golden, right up until people realized that most celebs pay others to post for them. Celebs and companies alike focused on Facebook(the long version) and Twitter(the instant short version) to get messages out.

I don't see as many companies promoting both Facebook and Twitter anymore, many have dropped Twitter and/or replaced it with Instagram where they can more easily display images. In fact I watched a football game last Sunday that promoted ONLY Instagram. Twitter becoming Facebook solves nothing...stop trying to become Facebook and get back to being the short game! Oh, and while you're at it, do something about the 500 followers all using the same image header trying to sell me twitter popularity, thanks.
    I don't know how to feel. In the past, I found Twitter to be extremely useful as a journalist. It has its uses - but Twitter itself doesn't seem to be interested in anything that it's actually good at.

If the 10,000 character limit does what Twitter hopes, then advertising will probably become more valuable there right? More time on the site means more time to view ads, which means that ads become more attractive and potentially more expensive, right? But what will the return on those ads be? I'm not even sure what the return on a Twitter ad is today...

It would be really weird to see a Twitter account that did all of its blogging right on Twitter, instead of linking out, but I guess that a 10k char limit makes that feasible. Maybe more of them will crop up? Twitter will have to add some formatting tools, too, if they want that to happen.
  5. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I cannot get rid of a feeling that Twitter is just dying... Their desperate attempts to copy competitors instead of innovate are doomed. We've seen this too many times...

And the fact that Twitter used to be THE MOST innovative concept in my book makes me very sad...

Twitter's going to ultimately turn into MySpace and that's the saddest future of such a great idea.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  7. Data Analysis+KW Research

I wonder how the feed will look like. Expandable posts? If so, that will be an important metric – how many people opened the article. And feed will be plastered with clickbait titles. If it's going to show the whole post, scrolling through feed will suck, I personally will unfollow a bunch of people to make it readable.

Comments on this post

• markroberts agrees : I hope they're expandable! I agree - a feed full of big long posts would be a pain.
  9. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Twitter's niche is the 140 characters, without that it's got nothing special about it. I don't believe the 10k characters would be a strong move for the platform. As someone on the radio said the other day (a radio presenter) "I've gotten used to crafting a 140 character tweet, without that i'm not sure twitter will be the same" (paraphrasing slightly due to poor memory)

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  11. Administrator
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Aye, some users have honed brevity into a comedic art on Twitter. I know that users have sometimes asked for a 150 - 170 character limit in the past...I have no clue where the heck 10k came from. Definitely not the user base.
  13. Data Analysis+KW Research

Adding to the quote from webmasters world, that Mark added.

right up until people realized that most celebs pay others to post for them.
    That was with 140 characters, no one will ever believe that celebrities will write longer blog posts. I will automatically think that long post is an advertisement.
  15. No Profile Picture

Honestly, I think that there are a lot of factors that are going to be involved. First, how will twitter arrange their design now? Will they still show it as "tweets"? or will they be a lot larger?
    With this generation, most people have an attention span of up to 5 seconds. The tweets we have right now are great because they're so short. If it was me, I think I would lose interest if they started implementing that new rule. Now they're just like every other social network.
  17. No Profile Picture

This feature will definitely benefit the business online marketing. Since I'm able to type a long post, I don't have a need to reach the company either through phone ( and more likely I will be asked to hold on a few seconds, because of the immense volume of calls, or I simply can't talk on the phone, because I'm at work, and my boss is present) ), or to send an e-mail, and also to wait for an answer for my question for a while. Now things get be done more easily and quicklier. The 10000- character will prevent from losing customers. Consumers will get a feeling that the companiers are more accessible to them. And companies will be more incorporated into their customers' needs and requirements, because instead of the hassle of the call, they can tweet their concerns in one instant action.
  19. Contributing User

I have to disagree Helena,
    For matters pertaining to company complaints. Companies will NOT want people to post long rants publicly. Neither will anyone care to read those. Twitter currently allows long rants through messaging. I do that regularly when I have to swear at my hosting companies. So communicating is NOT the problem. Broadcasting is. Whether the world needs 10,000 character broadcasting is the question! So that is NOT something why twitter is allowing long posts.

Few members have already mentioned the design challenges twitter will be facing, but I think they can manage it well.
    Facebook copied many twitter concepts and did not become MySpace, so why will Twitter become mySpace allowing longer posts is not easy for me to foresee at this moment.

Social media is now about two things - communicating and consuming content.
    Twitter was good at communicating with the SMS based tweeting feature which instantly got popular on phones with or without internet.
    But for companies promoting content - like articles, videos and how tos, literature etc they were very uncomfortable around twitter. Initially twitter did not support photos as well, then they graduated to pics. Now they want to break that barrier between big text content creators and twitter communication. If they can keep the UI short and sweet with an option to write more for the writer guy then I see only good things in store for them.
    Last edited by envigodigital; Oct 12th, 2016 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typo