1. No Profile Picture
    Master
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What is your recommendation about tweet image ratio?

It is obvious that tweets with images get more attention.
    Plus, they are added to your profile sidebar. It is worth using them in your tweets. I know that.
    But I was thinking about moderation.
    Do you think it is recommended to have more than 50% of tweets sent with images?

Comments on this post

• Cuteangle agrees
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hm! This is a good question. It may just be a matter of personal preference. I can offer my personal thoughts - there are many users with far more experience than myself, though. Hopefully they'll have something to add!

Here's a widely quoted study that says Tweets with images get 18% more clicks, 89% more favorites, 150% more retweets. That's quite considerable. But as you say, you know that already. I do wonder if the impact is diluted the more images that one uses, though...it could be worth testing! Not sure how one might go about that - a month with lots of images, a month with few? Or perhaps alternating weeks?

I think it depends on the quality and relevance of the images. If the brand is one where lots of visuals are the norm, then it could be "the more images the better." For example, a food brand or a travel company might share lots of images of dishes they serve or places they book trips to. That would make sense for them. An insurance company or a pharmaceutical company might share fewer images - I don't know for sure, those are just off the top of my head. But I bet the biggest and most successful brands still find unique ways to include images with their tweets.

@NBA doesn't just share images - since sports are about motion, they share a lot of videos too. @tacobell is one of those brands that people like to say, "they do it right," and they use images pretty frequently. But a lot of their images are in RTs from other people. And they're more famous for the way they interact with people than for the images they share, I think. Even the images they share - a lot of them have an interactive element. "Like for strawberry, share for cherry," with a picture of two icees, for example. Or "What do you think of this?" or the RT "We love Taco Bell's 404 page!" with a gif of the page. Images like that invite users to be active and share, I think. @Charmin shares an image in almost every tweet, but their non-image tweets are also very witty.

Farmer's Insurance is a pretty big and reputable insurance company - they do a lot of RTs and have plenty of images.

Many of the brands above have more than 50% of their timeline tweets as images. I think an important part of Twitter is creating interactive content. Images seem to be more likely to encourage interaction. It's easier to comment or share something that's fun to look at, I guess. With all those considerations, I think more images is probably better.

If you're having a conversation with someone on Twitter is probably one place where I'd personally stray away from images. If I was doing customer service for someone, I feel like they'd probably care more about the text of the tweet (and the help I offer) than anything else.

Comments on this post

• distinctseo agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Master

Okay! Thank you, Mark!
    If the "what was trending when you were outside" on twitter homepage for logged in users is not ugly, the profile will not neither. Thank you for those examples. I am thinking about sending tweets with images and videos when most of my followers or country that I target are on twitter. @NBA shares more than 90% of tweets with image and they get 35+ retweets with almost each attempt.
  7. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by JonnyP
    ...when most of my followers or country that I target are on twitter.
    Nice! I think that's a good idea to also target for days/times when most of your target audience is online in real time.

Originally Posted by JonnyP
    @NBA shares more than 90% of tweets with image and they get 35+ retweets with almost each attempt.
    Yeah - they're a big famous account, so to a degree it comes easier to them...but I think what they do is pretty effective too.

They keep the videos short, like to highlight reels. I wonder if shorter or longer videos would perform better...I know the stereotype is that shorter, more easily digestible content does better, but I've never seen any hard data to prove that.

Actually, looks like Twitter video is limited to 30 seconds: https://support.twitter.com/articles/20172128# I didn't know that until today!

Anyway, go get 'em! Let us know how you do
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks Mark, Really nice idea.
  11. No Profile Picture

I think the ratio should be 70:30. Obviously image makes a good impact on people but you shouldn't use it. You should use it with mixing up normal tweets.