Thread: Twitter FAQ

1. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Twitter FAQ

Twitter has an FAQ section, and it handles a lot of the common problems and questions on the site. But it doesn't really go over some of the more specific issues that can creep up, especially for users who are there for marketing or business purposes.

How to Build Twitter Followers?

Interact, interact, interact

I also find participating in Twitter chats very efficient How to Take Part In a Twitter Chat - SEO Chat

How to Generate Traffic on Twitter?

Wired Small Biz + More tips here

What are Recommended Twitter Tools

Here's a decent collection to start with

Why Does Twitter Only Send a Notification That Someone Is Following You Some Of The Time?

This question has been asked around the web several times. It appears that the email notifications might be a glitch, probably on the end of the email server. Many times people will go to their Spam folder and find quite a few notifications in there, even if others went to their inbox.

You should make a filter or exception that says to send amm Twitter emails to your inbox, or a special email folder made for social media. If you still have problems, contact their technical support team to troubleshoot the issue.

How Does Twitter Determine Who To Recommend As a Similar User?

You will have seen these recommendations on your feed page, on the left hand side. It links you to similar users, or accounts it thinks you might enjoy. Is it just completely random? Actually, it has a rather complex algorithm it utilizes to match you up with people across the web, whether they are potential friends or celebrities.

This calculation takes factors such as the content you have posted on your profile (including keywords in tweets), other profiles you have followed, the people your friends have followed, pages you have visited and more to come up with their recommendations.

If I Change My @Name, Can People Find Me By My Old Handle?

Twitter won't redirect tweets to your new username if someone tags it. Your old username will be available for anyone else to grab, so it might be a smart move to register it as well using another email (Note that Twitter frowns upon holding usernames just for the sake of keeping them unavaialble, so you'll need to do something with it)

Can I Buy Or Sell Twitter Handles?

No, this is against the site's terms of service. It can lead to either a temporary or permanent account suspension, including an IP ban from creating future accounts. While the site might not find out about it, there is always a risk they will.

Can I Link To A Full Twitter Conversation (Tweets, Replies, Ect)?

To a lesser extent, Twitter has this feature. But it only shows a certain number of replies over a certain period of time. You can link directly to that tweet to show the conversation. But if you want something more thorough, you might have to try a third party tool.

Some examples of tools that do this are ExquisiteTweets and Branch.

How Can I Get More Retweets?

The easiest way is the most direct: ask people to retweet you. Studies have shown a serious increase in retweets when someone took the simple step of asking followers to share the tweet, link, photo or other content.

Another way is to schedule tweets around the day and time your followers are most active. Try a tool like Tweriod to find out the most active times of your follower list.

Be sure you are utilizing hashtags correctly. Try trending tags, create a hashtag and brand it for yourself, or make sure you are using the right tag for the right tweet.

Further reading: 6 Tips to Get Retweeted More Often | Search Engine Journal

Am I Able to Request a Twitter Handle That Was Once Used But Has Since Been Suspended?

You used to be able to, but the option has since been shut down by the site. However, it is still worth a shot; contact customer service to inquire about a suspended handle.

Do you have any questions you would like answered? Post them in the comments!

Comments on this post

• dgerryd agrees : Great info cheers
    • KarnRawat agrees : Drink and Dine!
    Last edited by Ann Smarty; Jan 29th, 2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Updated
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is it possible to get a verified account from twitter? If yes how? i want to add that verify button in my twitter account.
  5. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by KarnRawat
    Is it possible to get a verified account from twitter? If yes how? i want to add that verify button in my twitter account.
    Twitter verification cannot be associated, from what I know. They will contact you if they need to verify you

We concentrate on highly sought users in music, acting, fashion, government, politics, religion, journalism, media, sports, business, and other key interest areas. We are constantly updating our requirements for verification. Note, verification does not factor in follower count or Tweet count.

If you think you meet the criteria for verification and have not yet received a badge, please be patient. We are working within key interest areas to verify accounts that are sought after by other Twitter users
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I am wondering if having a lot of twitter followers actually helps with affiliate sales.....