1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How important are Twitter handles?

I feel like I've been a little abrasive with my own personal Twitter handle.

I have two underscores in mine as I originally wanted to have the Twitter handle: Jonny_J ... instead, I settled for Jonny_J_ ... yes, laugh all you want!

Is it worth changing my handle now rather than later? (serious question)

I don't suppose Twitter adds a 301 redirect from your old handle to your new one? (This is not a serious question)

Thoughts?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If it's for personal usage it's not as big of a deal but if you wanted to brand yourself via Twitter, definitely want something easy for people to remember. Maybe use Jonny and a number combo that matches you in some way.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Floppy
    If it's for personal usage it's not as big of a deal but if you wanted to brand yourself via Twitter, definitely want something easy for people to remember. Maybe use Jonny and a number combo that matches you in some way.
    I agree, for the branding purposes.

Even with personal handle, keep in mind that there is no redirect (as you presumed). So, if you change your handle, you will want to notify your followers. Another option, assuming that Twitter terms of usage allows it, is to create a new handle and then post a status on the old handle telling people where to find your new handle. That has been done quite a bit when people change/update their handle (or even brand).

-Deborah