1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Why this forum sucks...

I've been using this forum for a month or so now and been pleased with it (up until today) - being a web developer seo is an important part of my job.

My initial reason for joining the forum was for research and to share some of my ideas and seo related programs, to gain feedback for improvement etc...

After announcing my first project an on-page seo optimiser I received little feedback - fair enough, the seo community are a very pessimistic bunch. So I moved on and created a solution enabling people to find relevant pages with good backlink opportunities - I hasten to add that I do not sell my services they have always been free - I have never made a dime out of my solutions - i class myself as an old skool developer, I do it for the passion.

I started the day with a green rep, then announced my new project and asked for people to submit keywords and i would give them links. After being classified as a spammer on the forum today to be honest I am gutted and feel its time to find a different forum.

I would like to thank those that have made valid contributions to my posts, I hope you succeed in business and the internet.

This is Venturo signing off -- adios xxxx
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Venturo
    I started the day with a green rep, then announced my new project
    SEOChat forums are a learning environment not a project announcement service... if your project is an experiment then you can post it in the experimentation forum.

But "I have a solution that covers all of 3 of these things" isn't helping anyone answer anything... it's helping yourself.

As far as rep... it comes from helping others and the more you help the more and better rep you get... merely announcing projects doesn't help anyone.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

um..lets' see.....cliches-in-a-pinch help needed...oh I got it.

"good riddance to bad rubbish" works for me!

ie a spammer says byebye!

w00T!

Jim

Comments on this post

• WhiteHatSEOMktg agrees
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

7. rod@missionop.com

BTW Venturo the title should be "Why fathom Sucks".

I love this one... http://forums.seochat.com/suggestions-feedback-18/fathom-unfit-moderator-59354.html
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    BTW Venturo the title should be "Why fathom Sucks".

I love this one... http://forums.seochat.com/suggestions-feedback-18/fathom-unfit-moderator-59354.html
    Please... do not class my complaint in the same light, i'm not a 'rep' whore and was quite happy with zero rep.

The 'system' didnt change my rep to spammer, that only happened after your comment.

So tell me more about this page:

http://www.ngdir.ir/SiteLinks/Kids/html/glossary_earth%20science.htm

and the nice backlink, i mean the page hasnt even got a pagerank. wanna use my tool ;0)

come on throw me some keywords and I will send you a couple of links to try.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JVRudnick
    um..lets' see.....cliches-in-a-pinch help needed...oh I got it.

"good riddance to bad rubbish" works for me!

ie a spammer says byebye!

w00T!

Jim
    Sorry Jim, did you even try my free tool?

So how am I a spammer?
  13. rod@missionop.com

Please... do not class my complaint
    Listen... I'm very liberal with rep (green & red).

I wouldn't worry about it unless you don't plan to post anything useful.

If you have a free tool... you made it for a reason and apparently have some insights about links... post your insights...

Not just fluff... real insights... you can earn 2-4K rep in 1 day by showing me and everyone else "you've done your homework"...

Of course if you haven't done your homework it'll go unnoticed or worse more red rep.

But ... not a day goes by in the past 7 years that I haven't pissed off 1 or 20 members and I have lots of rep so if you're as good as you think you'll have lots in a short period of time!
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I donít think people really care about reputation, but this guy is now classed as a spammer. Does he deserve it? I donít think so.

Venturo, you should have waited until you had made 30 posts, and then have your free tool in your signature. Now you canít have a signature until that little red box goes back to green.

Someone actually gave me negative rep because of my avatar yesterday, imagine that. What if I had no reputation? I would have been classed as a spammer, and yes, I would have felt the same as venturo does now. I would of said **** you seochat, Iím leaving because Iím pissed off that Iíve been classed a spammer.

Should members be given the power to give negative rep? NOOOOOOOOOO.

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees : Now that's not entirely true.... you did come back twice :) Didn't you?
    Last edited by seogod1505; Sep 6th, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
  17. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by seogod1505
    What if I had no reputation?
    Amazingly no started with rep... it's earned.

I've accidently hit the neg rep once on someone that posted a great post... did they deserve that?

The point... if you are someone like me... you'll ignore rep and post useful, helpful and frequent information and you'll find you'll earn tons more than you ever lose... (regardless of why you lost it, as a joke, by accident, deserved or someone just doesn't see it your way)
  19. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I saw your tools, but don't use tools. Now i think you might be a tool. Youre getting your panties in a wad over nothing.
    Frankly, I wonder who Frank is and why he has his own adverb.
  21. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Sorry Jim, did you even try my free tool?

So how am I a spammer?
    Venturo - it's not a question of whether you have a valid tool or not. Even if you have the greatest link harvesting tool on the internet, promoting it on the forums, like the way you did falls under the realm of self-promotion and hence its prohibited.

So don't mix up the quality/ validity of your tool with the comments here - it had nothing to do with your tool but your way of promoting it.

Also coming to think of it - since you've created a tool which, as per you, will fetch some really good links for any website, I can assume that you have a very in-depth knowledge on finding high quality linking resources.

So why don't you share your knowledge with the membership here [we have an entire link popularity forum for you] and earn back your respect and your rep as well.

You will be free to put a link to your tool in your profile signature after you've made 30 posts and spent 30 days in the forum as a member.

So, share your wealth of knowledge with us and earn your reputation here.

Good luck!

Comments on this post

• JBacchi agrees
    • JVRudnick agrees : thanks Pro! couldn't a said it any better myownself!!!! ;-)

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

jsteele823 agrees: Now that's not entirely true.... you did come back twice Didn't you?
    Josh, thatís not really the point, is it? It was my choice to come back here, but if I was ever to leave it would be for the simple fact that I have been made to look like a spammer.

I have been in Venturoís situation, and believe me itís not nice.

Fathom is the culprit here. Maybe he has a right because he is a valued member, but I would have to disagree with his actions.

Isnít the spam button there for a reason?

About a month ago venturo said that heís making a new seo tool, what do you guys think?

Now he has made that tool and is asking for opinions, and thereís nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

Venturo was promoting his new free tool on his post
    Fathom promotes his free webinar in his signature
    But which one looks spammier?

Iím always going to stick up for people like venturo because the only thing negative rep does is piss people off.

No disrespect to you Fathom, Iím just giving my opinion.

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees : FTR - I think I started off with neg- rep just like so many others have :) Cheers mate
  25. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I stated somewhere else that Fathoms free seminar was OK because he is

1. A long standing member of the community who has given more than he has taken
    2. It is free
    3. It is being used as a chance for him to get feedback
    4. The seminars them self are a good way to share more knowledge (for free)

venturos post falls under all of the above points except the first. At this point Venturo has offered great advice and positive contributions... However he still must earn his "wings"

Do long standing members get to bend the rules a little? in the books no, in practice well..... They earned it.....

I guess I am not a rules is a rule kind of person, I think rules are designed with some spirit behind them, was the negative rep deserved? Maybe not but everyone is entitled to their opinion

Stick around and keep contributing and you will quickly get your rep back up Venturo.
    Work Smarter, Not Harder
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by seogod1505
    Josh, thatís not really the point, is it? It was my choice to come back here, but if I was ever to leave it would be for the simple fact that I have been made to look like a spammer.

I have been in Venturoís situation, and believe me itís not nice.

Fathom is the culprit here. Maybe he has a right because he is a valued member, but I would have to disagree with his actions.

Isnít the spam button there for a reason?

About a month ago venturo said that heís making a new seo tool, what do you guys think?

Now he has made that tool and is asking for opinions, and thereís nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

Venturo was promoting his new free tool on his post
    Fathom promotes his free webinar in his signature
    But which one looks spammier?

Iím always going to stick up for people like venturo because the only thing negative rep does is piss people off.

No disrespect to you Fathom, Iím just giving my opinion.

Thanks SEOGOD1505 you sum it up well.

Comments on this post

• seogod1505 agrees : no problem
    • jsteele823 agrees : Was just razzin' him anyhow :) Post the URL again or PM it to me - I'll check it out
  29. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by googler
    venturos post falls under all of the above points except the first. At this point Venturo has offered great advice and positive contributions... However he still must earn his "wings"

Do long standing members get to bend the rules a little? in the books no, in practice well..... They earned it.....
    In my eyes, had the original post had more learning value it could have been a valid contribution. But:

Help finding backlinks
    The title made me think Venturo was looking for backlinks and didn't know how to find them... I would think someone with a free backlink finding tool needing feedback would entitle it that way... e.g. Free Backlink Locator Developer Need Feedback

In the post I get ask a question and a predetermined 3 point answer.
    What makes a good backlink?

1. A link from a webpage that has relevant content
    2. Preferably a link that is 'followed' (not using nofollow)
    3. Prferably from a page that has a good page rank
    That sure sounds like a simple enticement to soften us up for the gravy train... and then the offer:

I have a solution that covers all of 3 of these things, dont believe me then post a web page here so i can analyse its content or post your keywords and I will respond with 3 great pages you can create backlinks from to your site.
    Oh but wait... who are you? What makes you a professional in links?

As we all know a spammer doesn't admit they are a spammer... so what validates your post as being helpful to the membership?

As pointed out I have an offer as well... what you don't know is before I posted anything I went to Ziff Davis Enterprises (the owner) and got permission... and my credentials are easily found ... HERE!

That's the difference... IMHO!
    Last edited by fathom; Sep 7th, 2010 at 06:02 AM.