Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Snarf!
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Stop saying, "Do your research before posting please."

The whole point of a forum is interaction with other people and finding their take on a certain problem. If I wanted to take my time to search for an answer, I would just use Google and not this forum.

It is in bad taste to say this. Most of the people posting the questions are new to the forum and this undoubtedly seems to be the majority of their first interactions with the forum- I know it was mine.

Looking on forums and asking questions IS being resourceful and doing RESEARCH. If the point of this forum is to be useful, helpful, insightful and so on, then saying "Hey, ask your stupid question after you have read up, because I don't care to answer this question but will post this unnecessary comment," does not meet informative standards.

If every time I asked a person a question and they said go look somewhere else first, I would stop asking them. But if that is the point of the forum then several of the "high ranking" members definitely keep up the status quo.
  3. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Try to comprehend moderator and admin pain, this is the best seo forum just because of there is no room for spammer to stay here for a long while. Our moderator s and admin very busy to remove worthless post always involve finding out spammer of this forum so now we have more than 80,000 members. I think you got my points…..
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by mmcgee
    If I wanted to take my time to search for an answer, I would just use Google and not this forum.
    If you don't want to take the time to do a little research (asking questions in a forum is not very ambitious research) then why should members take time away from their own work to type a detailed answer for you?

You are trying to become a search expert, right? I think that using search to answer your own questions will be a good exercise for you. At least do that as a starting point. Show us that you can do search and respect the gift of time that we give to your questions.

If I wanted to take my time to search for an answer, I would just use Google and not this forum.
    Now... consider this... members have a very limited amount of time to spend answering your questions. If a member answers two questions each day do you want her to answer the questions that you can look up on google or do you want her to answer your questions when you have something more difficult as a problem?

We are not your unlimited supply of personal labor units.

Some of us have the philosophy that we would prefer to use our labor units to help people who first try to help themselves. Our efforts go farther that way. And they are used on more important problems.

If you look at the number of postings and the amount of time that some members have given here - as uncompensated gifts - then you might understand that they don't care to spend their time answering the same question over and over.

When my kids were small they asked questions about the computer and I wanted them to learn and become strong computer uses. So, when they had a question I always asked if they had done anything to solve the problem themselves. If they had not tried anything I would ask them what they might try to solve it. That approach taught them to be problem solvers rather than spoon feeders.

This is a forum where people help one another. When I read your comment I wonder if you are willing to spend any time contributing and answering questions of people who know less than you. Are you here to "take" or are you here to "contribute"?

I"ll close with a quote....

"You can not help a man permanently by doing for him the things that he could and should do for himself." A. Lincoln

Comments on this post

• googler agrees : excellent response
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. Snarf!

That's great and all, but if you don't have the time why are you posting to do research...seems counter productive.

Listen, I am all for finding answers on your own, but that is what forums are for.

I see the point about admin aspects and spamming more.

I'm not posting this whatsoever to be conflicting, more so to shed some light on to how many of your "noob" users go through when they see this answer.

The forum is great and a really good resource for those of us furthering our profession in search, but these comments deter people from posting.

I obviously do not have a solid figure here, but from my experience the majority of the post are directed in sarcasm/anger, not in a way you would explain to your child to facilitate the learning process.

With that said, here's a quote- "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Susan B. Anthony (Right?) Ahhh, you don't get it!
  9. Snarf!

"Some of us have the philosophy that we would prefer to use our labor units to help people who first try to help themselves. Our efforts go farther that way. And they are used on more important problems."

Also, agreed. I just think the comment is unnecessary.
  11. Retired from SEO

ohhhhh
  13. SEO Insultant

So tell me mmcgee: what was yours?

* I could look it up but I thought it would suit the thread to just ask

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees : lol
    ... Hey you! FREE SEO report card ... I really my hosting company ...
  15. SEO Insultant

Never mind, I'll just answer my own question.

It didn't take me long. In fact waiting for an answer would have taken longer.

Anyway, I'm just glad it wasn't something like "plz friends will valid code will help my pagerank? tell me now i'm waiting for your reply. thanks"

Kudos for that.

Also, you are party right. Partly so and partly not. You'll soon figure out where lies the subtle threshold, if you haven't already.

Cheers m8, see you around

Comments on this post

• JVRudnick agrees : re: "around" not a change...he'll be gone by the weekend....and yes, I too agree that anyone who cant research enough to be past the basics, doesn't deserve my time or counsel!!!!
    • EGOL agrees
  17. Retired from SEO

JVRudnick agrees: re: "around" not a change...he'll be gone by the weekend....and yes, I too agree that anyone who
    cant research enough to be past the basics, doesn't deserve my time or counsel!!!!
    Don't bother your self I have seen many of new poster did like that and they never come back.
  19. Roll the dice.. and live

Stop saying, "Do your research before posting please."
    Why?
    Live the moment
  21. Snarf!

That's perfect, say I won't be around- very well put. Companies that invest time in forums as a marketing channel should consult you guys on how to keep customers coming back.

No, I'll be around as long as I choose. And last time I checked I haven't posted on basic things, so thanks for the assumptions.

The point of this post has been totally missed. Everyone says do research because I don't have time. Then why do you post the comment?

That's the point. I'm not arguing basic questions should be research, because they should. I am saying these comments are A) counter productive to your logic and B) counter productive to keeping new forum members.

Has nothing to do with the point that dumb/basic questions should be researched- that is agreed, but apparently the point is moot.
  23. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Then why do you post the comment?
    We are letting you know how to get the most out of this forum.

If you become known as a person who asks questions that could easily be researched then the threads that you start will likely be ignored by the people who can help you the most (who are also those who will give you the most reliable advice).

It has nothing to do with marketing. It has to do with... "Why should we help someone who is not willing to help himself?"

You might not agree with that philosophy - just letting you know that the philosophy is very common. It is a fact that you can profit from if you accept it.

If you contribute to the forum by answering questions and doing some research up front on your own issues then lots of people will be willing to help you.

Your posts here tell us what type of person you are... do you want to be viewed as lazy and selfish or do you want to be viewed as helpful and sincere?

Which type of person would you prefer to help? A guy who could work but decides to beg... or a guy who is trying to succeed but needs a little guidance?
    Last edited by EGOL; Oct 9th, 2009 at 08:43 AM.
  25. SEO Insultant

That's perfect, say I won't be around- very well put. Companies that invest time in forums as a marketing channel should consult you guys on how to keep customers coming back.

No, I'll be around as long as I choose. And last time I checked I haven't posted on basic things, so thanks for the assumptions.
    Some people suggested that. Not all. I for one think they are wrong - if only because you seem to care.

Luckily, mere mortal forum members (including myself) are never consulted about getting "customers" to come back. Nor does this forum thrive on returning visitors.

After all, this is not a SEO company. Rather, it's a group of people giving free advice WHENEVER they feel like it. Sometimes they just don't feel like it, and most often, they have a pretty good reason for that. Not always, but often. And as I said: it's a fine line
  27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

The point of this post has been totally missed. Everyone says do research because I don't have time. Then why do you post the comment?

That's the point. I'm not arguing basic questions should be research, because they should. I am saying these comments are A) counter productive to your logic and B) counter productive to keeping new forum members.
    Just out of pure curiosity, do you suggest that ignoring the question entirely is a better way to keep members around?

Do you think someone would be more likely to stick around if they were ignored, or if they were pointed towards the search function?

I, for one, think the latter is a much better way to go.

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees : Good point - lots of questions on (SEO) forums are simply ignored
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Scoroncocolo Here

Let's talk some SEO.

A few weeks ago (Sep. 27) I put up a page on my site called "On-line Backup Strategies". Today, if you google "how to backup files in the cloud for free" I'm number one on the first page! I'm on the first page for "how to backup files in the cloud".

I managed that with some basic SEO techniques. First, the name of the name of the file is "backupfilesforfree.html" And secondly, all of the h1 and h2 tags use the keywords: backup, files, free, the cloud. The third thing is that all the alt attributes in the img tags read: "backup files on-line for free". And these keywords are used liberally throughout the several hundred other words on the page.

Good ol' basic SEO works and it's soooo simple

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Nice Work!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: