Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

SEO Chat: Getting rid of the waffle!

I try to get back here when time allows as it has always been my favourite SEO forum but recently it has become very hard to follow threads that are full of quasi spam.

I know a post that says "Just keep link building and post fresh blogs and your rankings will improve" is not spam but so many threads are full of endless posts like this that add nothing concrete to the question asked.

Right now I feel there are perhaps a dozen solid members on the forum but their contributions are diluted (and hard to find) because of posts full of nothing but gas.

Stackoverflow (I know its not exactly a forum) does well in removing anything that does not address the matter in hand ... and I know there are questions of censorship and freedom or speech and all that ... but how can we clean up the threads so that posts/members which add nothing are swiftly shown the door.

In this way I think SEO Chat would attract far more "intelligent" members and discussions and threads would be a whole lot more valuable .... ?
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    This subject has been discussed to death here on SEO Chat over quite a few years. I think there is no way to move from our "newbie" forum to a forum that is cerebral in its questions/queries and answers. For example, it is very difficult to change hamburger (low level queries) into veal (thoughtful questions and answers). Wishing will not make it so.
  5. SEO Since 97

I agree Doodled, I ban a lot of useless post for poor english (which is where 99 % of these idgets are coming from) I also try to delete the useless posts, but you're right there's so many the threads do get diluted. Why not put in for Mod and lend a hand.
  7. Digital Marketing

You're correct. I think we should ban more of these users for posting useless posts. Tom is right, you should become a moderator and help out.
  9. Contributing User

Have strongly considered becoming a mod in the past but I can't offer a consistant amount of time each week - some weeks I have no free time at all ....

That said we're talking here about a policy shift for the whole forum. Take this thread:
    How important is bounce rate for ranking a site?

Three pages long and I would count about two thirds of the posts as not adding to the discussion. If SEOChat is to be a resource or a place for quality discussions wading through so much kak is really off putting.

Perhaps even as a first step remove the posts of banned users .... ?
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    This subject has been discussed to death here on SEO Chat over quite a few years.
    Do you have any links to previous discussions. Be interested to see how they ended ....
  13. rod@missionop.com

I've been away for a bit. Had a stroke, that left me with balance problems and poor motor skills on my right side. Making it next to impossible to post quickly.

I'm generally ok, my tenacity that makes me gifted here also helps in rehab. All the doctors and nurses hate me but also comment about my fast recovery.

That said, even people with broken English can become great forum members. Even spammers can change. If you dont wish to contribute anymore that isn't their fault... That's yours... If all valued members contribute more you would notice less spam.

Blaming those that post crap isn't why their crap is overly noticeable.

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees : yep
    • Dr.Marie agrees : So sorry to hear of your stroke. :(
  15. Contributing User

Glad to hear you're recovering fathom.

The English thing is a red herring. You can post valuable info even if you have broken English. And yes, I could just quietly go elsewhere but thought I would have a crack at opening the discussion before I did. I'm not packing my bags and heading for the door just yet - only pointing out that I see the number of quasi spam posts seems to be on the rise.

Ultimately I don't see new valuable members being attracted if, when they come across a forum thread, they find half of it is hot air. From my side I'm simply saying I find it hard/demotivating to follow some of the threads when they just start petering out into quasi spam posts that I have to wade through before finding something sensible further down.

I'm also fully aware that deciding if a particular post is "valuable" is a very objective question but I think there is a way.

I'm sure spammers can change, just be good to change them early on. In the link to the thread I gave above 4 of the people who participated have been banned and three are pretty close to the edge.
    Last edited by Doodled; Nov 12th, 2014 at 03:45 PM.
  17. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Out of the many forums I have writing / run or been a member or moderator of this is a old topic and often comes up. Although I must confess I have not seen it discussed here, maybe I have not been around long enough yet.

The issue here is mostly the recycling of the same old questions and noobs replying with the same old replies. I totally agree it gets quite boring very quick but I do find myself keep returning to pick up any odd bits I can and offer my opinion on topics I think I may have something to offer. However I am no SEO expert so mostly its just my opinion which has got me into trouble on a few posts where I have not tested my beliefs.

The only solution I see really is as stackoverflow do and that is to introduce a up vote / down vote and make it visible, I know we have the agree / disagree (Give Rep) but that does not go far enough and only serves to stroke our ego's. Useful replies need to be flagged so it allows the spam replies to be skipped.

On a side note WOW fathom, so sorry to hear your news, hope you recover fully quickly and look forward to seeing your sharp and cutting replies again soon I know you have made me stop and think what I post on a few occasions. Maybe we need more Fathom around who don't suffer fools lightly.

Comments on this post

• GabrielG agrees : if up n down votes affected visibility that would be great
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Maybe we need more Fathoms around who don't suffer fools lightly.
    excellent!
  21. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Chedders
    The only solution I see really is as stackoverflow do and that is to introduce a up vote / down vote and make it visible, I know we have the agree / disagree (Give Rep) but that does not go far enough and only serves to stroke our ego's. Useful replies need to be flagged so it allows the spam replies to be skipped.
    But StackOverflow is a Q&A site, this is a discussion area. So if someone asks a question and there is discussion/argument it's good to follow that thread in logical order and draw your own conclusions. I'm just wondering how to get rid of the dross that gets put in between those posts which form part of the discussion. Most of it is members probably just trying to get the post count up, get a link in and then get banned but it causes a lot of litter and I believe it probably puts a lot of would-be members off joining.

From the thread I posted above here is one post:
    "Although there is no proof that bounce rate can hurt a sites results, when a user searches from Google, clicks on a site and goes back to Google, searches again or clicks on a different result it can affect your rankings."

I mean it doesn't make sense, it contradicts itself and it certainly doesn't add to the discussion .....
  23. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Your correct, here it can be more about opinions rather than fact, (there are exceptions) so maybe offering a score may not work as well here like on stackoverflow but its the only solution I can come up with after a 18 hour shift. Will give it more thought though.
  25. Editor-in-Chief

Sorry to hear Fathom - my wife works with stroke patients (she's a speech pathologist) and I know it can be a hard road - seems like from what you are saying you are recovering well though, so that's great news.

We had thought about a Stack Overflow style system that we were going to test over at Dev Shed forums, but it fell through the cracks, and in hindsight I am not certain if it would have worked over there, much less over here, though I do like the idea of being able to highlight the best answer(s) in a thread.

I was hoping the newbie forum section would solve a lot of this problem, but I think maybe the threshold to get promoted is too low. Maybe we need to base it on rep instead of post count? I also tend to promote people quickly to regular status if I see they are going to be a good contributor. Maybe that combo is a partial solution?

I'm also trying to get a little more aggressive, especially if I send someone a note or warn them and they do not respond AND continue to break rules.

I'll discuss the threshold thing with Ann and see her thoughts and meanwhile would like to hear yours. If you aren't aware, the newbie section is the only place new members can post until they reach a certain post count, at which point they get auto-promoted to be able to post anywhere. If we set it to, instead, work on either promotion from admins or (and) promotion from rep, it may be a better stop gap. This way if mods see someone is really contributing, or a senior members sees that, they can award rep and move the member to a regular member in the process. Make sense?

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees
    • Doodled agrees : Seriously like this idea ....
  27. rod@missionop.com

This is a learner's forum.

I had hope Jim Boykin & crew would participate more, offsetting the loss of other quality posters but the fact that there isnt any thread quality isn't the fault of those that do post for their own benefits.
  29. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Someone pointed me to this thread in pm...so thought I'd chime in...I like the idea that jamespayne recommended, increasing the post threshold seems like a good idea...at the very least, it's worth testing for a moth to see what happens...

With that said...as someone who knows a little of seo...I wish there were more thoughtful threads created with more hardball questions..I think it'd be cool to have grownups only threads. I don't think the threads need to be separate or New users not being able to post but just people asking about more complex stuff... I mean....I'm not in here too often but just my 2 cents
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: