1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Problems with 'Last Post' on front page

This probably has something to do with my isp caching or such, but everytime I click on a post that is listed as the most recent post on the front page, it takes me to a completely different post!

I think my isp is serving up a cached page, with an old title, but because the actual link on that title isn't to that post specifically, but rather to the latest post (ie.. ?goto=lastpost), then I am redirected to a different post than what I THOUGHT I was clicking on. Wouldn't it make more sense to tie the two together (title and postID)?

I'm not even sure if you can change that using VB, but it sure would make a lot more sense to me.

If that didn't make any sense, I'll try to explain further ;-)
  3. No Profile Picture
    md_doc
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)
    Unfortunetly there is no easy way to grab the threadid of the last post unless I were to ad a query for each forum and that is out of the question because that would be 29 extra queries for the main page which would not only require more resources from our server but it would also slow down the creation time of the page.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

How come it is easy to grab the titles of the thread then? Can't it just be joined in the query? It really is a very strange experience to be redirected to a completely different thread than where you expect to be going. Anyway, up to you guys.
  7. No Profile Picture
    md_doc
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)
    The forum name along with the last posters name is stored in the forum table, ie with the forum name and all the other information about the forum. What happens is when someone replies to a thread or creates a new one the name of the poster along with the name of the thread is put into that table.

The forumid is not put in there because the script that redirects does it based on the lastpost or last thread (this is actually how vbulletin works out of the box with that arrow to the right of that information... we just hacked it to have the forum name in there).

Could we change it to actually show the threadid instead using the redirect? We could, it would require another hack though and that would require it being done to all 3 properties which would take time. It would also be futile since we plan to upgrade to vb 3.0.0 when it becomes stable in the next month or so.

What if you were just to hit shift + reload in your browser to get a fresh copy of the page instead of using the cached copy? That would solve it for you for now wouldn't it if it is a cache issue?

However, after all of that being said, are you sure it is a cache issue with your isp and not an issue with our code possibly being incorrect. There are a few certain situations, none of which happen on seo very much, where if a thread is moved or deleted that the wrong title will show up.

But time for me to now go eat cake. If I can get to this problem I will. The only thing is I have about 129 other things on the list in front of this
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm pretty sure it is an ISP caching problem.. no way of working around that with a refresh I think. Anyway, wouldn't this system also fail if you visit the front page and two seconds later someone posts a new topic? It's no biggie though and if you're planning on an upgrade, it would probably make sense to wait.