Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Old SEO Chat post took my top 10 spot

In June of 2003, I requested a site review at SEO Chat. In the title of the site review request I stupidly used my company name which contains my primary search terms.

In February of 2004 this post suddenly appeared on Google and took my top 10 spot for my primary keywords. I had been in the top ten for almost a year when this happened. My site was booted to 35!

In March I sent two requests to the SEO Chat moderator to change the archive title of my site review request. I received no reply. At the end of March I logged into SEO Chat and edited all of my posts in that thread to remove my keywords and URL. This caused the post to drop from the top 10 to about 40 or so within a few days! But my site has never recovered because this post remains in the listings at about 42. I remain at about 35 for my primary keyword search despite optimizing my brains out.

I have tried to change the archive title of the site review request. For whatever reason, I am not able to do so. I changed it on the first post but it does not alter the title for archive purposes. It's the archive title that needs to change. My business has almost completely tanked as a result of this. I have lost thousands of dollars and am at a loss as to what to do.

I recently sent the SEO Chat administrator another request by email to no avail.

I am desperate. Does anyone know how to change the archived title of a post?

If you discover the site review I am referencing, please do not use my URL or key words in a reply. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Forgot to mention that I am posting under a new identity because I was unable to amend my signature in my old profile. My sig contained my URL and search terms.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Unfortuate as it is - this is a little under-productive.

Develop more content at your website, and gain more links will solve your problem.

Additionally, as results tend to have "more than one spot" I would think your problems isn't because you ask for a website review.

Also - removal of what you ask, and what you have already done - will just make things worst for your website... are you truly 100% sure that is what you wish?
  5. No Profile Picture

My website currently has over 500 pages spidered on google. I have 3500 seperate files and a classy site map with a clean, easily navigated internal link system. I do not spam. I have tons of quality content and great PR5 external links. In reviewing my html the only thing wrong was that I lacked an h1 header. I changed this today.

It crossed my mind that perhaps I was being spanked for utilizing SEO for a site review. But I disregarded that notion when I discovered that my SEO post had been linked out the wazoo with high PR sites related to my keywords. By the way, these sites and my business have nothing to do with SEO. Once I edited my URL and keywords out of my post those links disappeared for the most part. This is what caused the grief. The post had the same PR as my home page!
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Also - removal of what you ask, and what you have already done - will just make things worst for your website... are you truly 100% sure that is what you wish?" All I want them to do is change the archive title (and associated html) so that it will no longer be picked up with my keyword search.
  7. Master of the cave
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Thumbs down

Maybe I should go to Google and ask them to delete from their index a few pages that are bumping me down the SERPs...

Jeez... as Phantom said, they have enough things todo and the last thing the Admins here need is diving in the archives and deleting posts just because they are better ranked than your site.

Work on it, get more backlinks, improve your content, and then you won't need to come here telling how SEOchat has cost you "thousands of dollars".

Need some free backlinks for your site? Check this out!
  9. No Profile Picture

One morning last February I literally woke up to find I was no longer number 7. Sitting there at number 7 was this post. My site was bumped to page 6 at first. I have done everthing I know to do. I have consulted, tweeked, optimized, added to my site, refined text, cleaned html and studied the competition til I'm blue in the face. This didn't happen yesterday. I've spent the last 5 months trying to solve this problem "on my own". It was with great reluctance and frustration that I decided to bring it to the forum for suggestions. I consider this my option of last resort.
  11. A trained killer.. in SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I am not quite sure that changing the titles or even removing the posts from seochat is going to help you at all. Looks like google changed something that caused this SEOchat post to rank higher than yours. Changing the post will not get things back to what they were.

I know how you feel, but believe me, changing this post will not get your rankings back. You have to re-work your SEO techniques.
  13. rod@missionop.com

Send me your URL - I'll take a look. It sounds like something else is causing your problems.

Clearly if you are not in SEO and SEOChat is and yet an internal page with just a link and title out performs your whole website - you have something else wrong.
  15. No Profile Picture

Hi Fathom,

I sent you my URL via email since I do not want it shown on the forum in any way. I have become so paranoid! Thank you in advance for your help/suggestions.

onmyown
  17. rod@missionop.com

I didn't seem to get it > try fathom@spheri.net or PM me.
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Just proof that the so called perfect algo is still out there!
    My Name is Balthazar and I approve this sig...

Want to advertise, call my expert website promotion company for help.
    See how I eliminated 50,000 in credit card debt in 6 months without consolidation.

The Ultimate Non-Reciprocal Link Exchange Stop buying expensive links!
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Be thankful that it is an SEO Chat thread and not one of your competitors!
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fathom
    I didn't seem to get it > try fathom@spheri.net or PM me.
    I sent my URL to this email address on July 31st. Did you get it? I could really use your 5 minutes of a look at my code... I value your opinion and I'm desperate.
    Thanks so much,
    onmyown
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What was the outcome onmyown?
  27. No Profile Picture

I have not heard anything back from fathom. I was really hoping he would have time to take a peek at my site. This situation is so bizare. My site remains in the mid 30's in the serps. My PR has been steady at 4.
    Last edited by onmyown; Aug 5th, 2004 at 11:37 AM.
  29. No Profile Picture

I just sent an email to Google.

My site has dropped even further over the last week since I started this thread, to 42 in the serps. I've spent the last few days really disecting my top 2 competitors code and have found deplorable things including a spammy 2000 + character meta keyword tag with 53 key words and the other with no meta tags at all.

Something curious is nagging at me, however. I've noticed that one of the sites in the top ten hasn't been updated in over 2 years. It was in the top ten when I debued and then disappeared into eternity when things shuffled in February of 2003. It popped back into the top ten at the same time I dropped out in February 2004. It's a one page article in which the keyword phrase is mentioned only twice. It is on a site that has nothing to do with the keyword subject. PR 3 with no backlinks. Also included in the top ten are ebay and amazon pages with PR 0 and no backlinks. OK, now I'm whining.

I'll let you guys know if I get a (form) letter back from Google.

Lynn
    aka
    onmyown

PM me if you'd like my URL so you can have a look at the mess.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: