1. No Profile Picture
    eJM
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Angry C'mon, what does it really take to stay off the mailing lists?

I did everything that has been made available to me to keep from getting email newsletters and anything else from SEO Chat and Developers Shed. So why am I getting them anyway?

There's no doubt in my mind that some staffer is going to be "perplexed" by this and offer some suggestions to resolve it. Well, I have been a forumite for 16 years now and a forum owner/operator/manager/staffer of some sort for most of that time. I know how to click the options' radio buttons and check boxes and fill in the text boxes.

No one should have to jump through hoops to be a member of this forum. However, it is your right to require a few hoops. I just wish you were up front about it and let me know I would have to either suffer through the unwanted emails, or visit the unsubscribe link to let you know I really meant it when I said NO EMAIL please.

Jim
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

hmmm I have never got a single email. I don't remember telling them not to send me any. There ya go...

Why not just choose block sender?
    Live the moment
  5. No Profile Picture
    eJM

Because I shouldn't have to. I thought this was a legitimate support forum, not one that would pester me with unwanted email when I specifically said I didn't want any. Besides, I know how to block unwanted mail. But that wasn't the point of my post.

And I already know there will be many who want to post that it hasn't happened to them or that the email ain't that bad, or even the excuses that the powers that be need to pay the bills somehow. My answers will be, it happened to me, I don't care how good or bad it is and we all have bills to pay.

I was offered choices. I selected those I thought would keep my mailbox free of newsletters and other stuff that didn't relate to my activities here on the forum (thread subscriptions, PM notices, etc.). And I certainly didn't expect to get mail from a website I DIDN'T join (DevShed). If I didn't have a choice, it should have been made clear when I joined. And I don't know what it used to be like last year or at any other time. I only know what happened to me just a day or so ago.

Jim
    Let's just let it go now. It's a dead issue - unless it happens again.
  7. Smoke me a kipper...
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Just having a quick look at your user CP options:

Subscribe to the SEO Chat Weekly Newsletter? Yes
    Send Notification Email When a Private Message is Received? Yes
    Automatic Thread Subscription Mode: Instant email notification

All of those options, as currently selected, will result in emails being sent to you.

Comments on this post

• jalaj4you agrees : Good Work Jagnet! So what for was the hue and cry all about?
    ... I'll be back for breakfast
    New to SEO? SEOChat SEO FAQs
    Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines
    URL canonicalization code solutions
    Vigorously pursuing the floccinaucinihilipilification of cheap SEO tricks
  9. No Profile Picture
    eJM

Originally Posted by JagNet
    Just having a quick look at your user CP options:

Subscribe to the SEO Chat Weekly Newsletter? Yes
    THAT'S the problem. I already said I know how to use a forum. I made sure I was NOT subscribed to any newsletters. I got one anyway from DevShed. I had to go to the unsubscribe link to remove the subscription, but I remember specifically saying NO to both that one and the SEO Chat newsletter. But just as you pointed out, the SEO Chat radio button was set to subscribe. What does it really take to stay off that mailing list?
    Send Notification Email When a Private Message is Received? Yes
    Automatic Thread Subscription Mode: Instant email notification
    Again, as I already mentioned...
    Originally Posted by Me
    I selected those I thought would keep my mailbox free of newsletters and other stuff that didn't relate to my activities here on the forum (thread subscriptions, PM notices, etc.).
    I know how to use a forum - I am currently a vBulletin forum owner/administrator - and I do want the thread subscriptions and the PM notices. I just don't want the newsletters and the advertising that comes with them, but apparently, the powers that be don't think I am capable of making an informed decision.

Look, I can tell I would just be very unhappy here. I don't like being forced to unsubscribe from newsletters I already unsubscribed to. And I don't like having to repeat myself, especially to a staff member. I haven't had a satisfying experience here yet, so I think I'll go while the gettin' is good.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

try to check the end part of the email if it has "unsubscribed" link.
  13. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by eJM
    Look, I can tell I would just be very unhappy here. I don't like being forced to unsubscribe from newsletters I already unsubscribed to. And I don't like having to repeat myself, especially to a staff member. I haven't had a satisfying experience here yet, so I think I'll go while the gettin' is good.
    I think your being a little childish... first you post regarding an issue with the mailing list which you feel is legitimate(not arguing there), then you effectively scream at everyone who tries to help you. Please keep in mind that only Jagnet is part of the moderating team, the rest were just offering helpful suggestions as part of the community.

I am not sure what you did or did not do, I do know that as Jagnet said if in your profile the mailing list option is checked you will get the newsletter. Just uncheck that and if it happens again then let us know and we will look into it...
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!