Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Is your social media really social?

Just something that came up at a conference that I thought I would post here.
    Social media is about getting your customers to talk TO EACH OTHER

A lot of the comments here are about using facebook google plus etc. to push content to multiple users. That is a great strategy at times but it isn't really social. Your not having a conversation with your users, and if you are it's mostly one on one. You might as well have sent an email.

The campaign becomes a social campaign when you get users talking to each other about your post/product/etc.
    Not one to many but many to many.

This forum is a great example of social media. We are all talking to everyone else with the webmasters only occasionally starting a topic or checking in. OTOH a lot of facebook pages or tweets will get few if any shares, and no real feedback. That isn't social even if it is a good thing marketing wise.

Just because you tweet something, or put it on facebook doesn't make it social.

Thinking this way will greatly increase the chances of your social campaign spreading or going viral. Just thinking in these terms will change the type of content you write.

Anyway. Just some thoughts from a conference for people to think about. Especially those of you who are new to the idea of social media.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : yep...make it social in nature.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So, what tips do you all have for getting the conversation going or for getting people to participate?

Comments on this post

• realityhack agrees : Great question.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Jen1 congrats on the first reasonable response.
    One example given was a site that allowed users to suggest new product lines, then other users could vote on them and comment. The users were interacting with other users directly without the company being strictly involved.
    Then the company would come by and combine similar ideas, comment on things that sounded good (without making promises) etc.
    So there was a many to many conversation that the company was involved in but not the originator of every post.

Forums and WIKIs are social with users answering each others questions.

Exactly what social functions your site should use (if any) depend upon the site. Forums for example only work with VERY engaged users, typically with no good alternative forum. And they take a commitment in time to moderate etc.

Now I am in no way saying you shouldn't make a facebook post when you release a cool new article or product, just that such one to many communication isn't really social.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you for the explanation realityhack I see your point.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by realityhack
    Just something that came up at a conference that I thought I would post here.
    Social media is about getting your customers to talk TO EACH OTHER

A lot of the comments here are about using facebook google plus etc. to push content to multiple users. That is a great strategy at times but it isn't really social. Your not having a conversation with your users, and if you are it's mostly one on one. You might as well have sent an email.

The campaign becomes a social campaign when you get users talking to each other about your post/product/etc.
    Not one to many but many to many.

This forum is a great example of social media. We are all talking to everyone else with the webmasters only occasionally starting a topic or checking in. OTOH a lot of facebook pages or tweets will get few if any shares, and no real feedback. That isn't social even if it is a good thing marketing wise.

Just because you tweet something, or put it on facebook doesn't make it social.

Thinking this way will greatly increase the chances of your social campaign spreading or going viral. Just thinking in these terms will change the type of content you write.

Anyway. Just some thoughts from a conference for people to think about. Especially those of you who are new to the idea of social media.
    Hi @realityhack,

Thanks for sharing the thoughts which came from a conference you attended. Of course, this is our aim, to be able to attract as much engagement to our Facebook Page as possible in the most minimal effort require to moderate and stir conversations. May I just add this insight at least. This is about Blog Commenting. Originally, it is not a social platform but a form in order for the author to get the feedback of her/his readers about the content s/he shared. However, if the article published was a bit controversial or at least very worthy to comment about, it will attract comments on it. This is as you describe, a one-to-many relationship. However, other readers agree and disagree on other readers' comment, thus I conclude that it becomes social (according to your description).

The way you post on the FB Page can also attract that post to be a SOCIAL. This is to say that simply sharing your website's link is not enough. Of course, this comes with proper study and analysis on your followers/likers/fans interest, which is a result of a good observation on their previous engagements.

As a conclusion, I agree that you can't completely say that your Page is Social unless you are able to reach your satisfactory level of engagement, so what better way than to improve the quality of the contents you post, and the way you moderate your page.
  11. No Profile Picture

Yeah, social media is about socializing. not just sharing and posting, but having a conversation with your customers.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by LindaCletus
    It has been already said before but I would like to explain.
    In a business, its very important to understand your customer.
    I hope you understand them better than you understand this community and what I wrote. Your pile of negative feedback should have been a clue.

Hence from time to time it is necessary to take feed backs from them. Using social media, we can always let the customers know our updates, ask them what do think about us, what are the areas where they think we need to improve. Hence apart from updating(posting and sharing in social media) other features that can be used are polls, discussions, surveys and feed back forms and events like a webinar or a group hangout on G+.
    Did you post without reading the original post?
    The entire point is that using so called "social" sites to boradcast your new updates is NOT social (also it isn't getting to know your customers at all).
    Surveys and feed back forms are the same. They are important, but they are NOT social. They are a one on one conversation (at best) between a single customer and you.

IMO the use of the word Webinar for any reason other than to point out how silly it is should result in a 1 year ban form all electronic media. But that is a different issue.
    It still isn't even close to social.

The idea about it is not to go out of your customer's sight and their mind.
    That's called brand awareness. Social media is one way to achieve it but not the only one. This adds nothing to the discussion.

I have always preferred Social Media Optimization as an important part of my SEO strategy and to be very honest, it has always worked, in terms of in-bound traffic and business through them.
    You don't even seem to know what social media IS much less how to use it. Just getting inbound traffic from facebook or twitter doesn't mean you even have a social media strategy much less an implemented and working one.

Everything you have said makes it clear you either did not READ the original post, or that you did not in any way COMPREHEND it. I am guessing the first.

I would also like to point out that social media really isn't an SEO strategy. It's more of an online marketing strategy. If your relying on facebook to increase your search engine rankings I think you will be disappointed when you try it on a serious site.
  15. No Profile Picture

It has been already said before but I would like to explain.
    In a business, its very important to understand your customer. Hence from time to time it is necessary to take feed backs from them. Using social media, we can always let the customers know our updates, ask them what do think about us, what are the areas where they think we need to improve. Hence apart from updating(posting and sharing in social media) other features that can be used are polls, discussions, surveys and feed back forms and events like a webinar or a group hangout on G+.
    The idea about it is not to go out of your customer's sight and their mind. I have always preferred Social Media Optimization as an important part of my SEO strategy and to be very honest, it has always worked, in terms of in-bound traffic and business through them.
    Like you thoughts, answer is really substantial.For any business its customers are the most important people so that's why the communication with them is one of the most important points in your social media profiles.
  17. No Profile Picture

Unfortunately, I have found this out the hard way. I tried to make my social network something of an advertising network for myself and I was punished for it. It did encourage me to start over and renew my approach. I have since been much more successful. If you are not putting the social in your social network I think many people are simply going to leave or may not even be interested in the first place.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think that social is word of mouth but with maximum interaction. It's the next level of the game. Difficult to reach, and you need years and years of hard work, probably. Of course if you have resources it's easier, but how can small companies compete?
  21. No Profile Picture

I agree, it's all about engagement. People can use book-marking tools all they want and if know interaction is happening then it does little for your business. Social syndication is a new strategy that a lot of businesses and network marketers use to build their brand. It allows other people to syndicate your links to their social profiles. That is one way to get real people to share your content, I would stay away from social exchanges and especially buying shares and likes.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Yeah, social media is about socializing. not just sharing and posting, but having a conversation with your customers. social is word of mouth but with maximum interaction.If you are not putting the social in your social network I think many people are simply going to leave or may not even be interested in the first place.
  25. No Profile Picture

Yeah, social media is really social because it helps us to contact with our friends,relatives and customers even though they are very far from you.. Social media helps us to get backlinks for our website,blog and page which can created by you...
  27. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Yes it is social if the users are just sociable.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Jul 14th, 2014 at 12:33 AM. Reason: phony sig.
  29. No Profile Picture

I agree with you completely. Companies are just interested in promoting their ideas quickly. If given a chance, they won't interact at all. They just want profiles. Unless there is a change in their thinking from "profit" to "customers", you can't expect them to actually interact with users. They will keep on playing contests for more likes and shares..
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: