1. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

You've missed the function I'm discussing about Twitter. TWitter has a search function that permits a level of instant information unmatched by google. 140 characters is irrelevant, links to web sites is irrelevant. Twitter has their own SERPs, that's the point, and their gaining ground exceptionally fast.

If you (anybody) are unaware of these applications then you're going to be missing a big important piece of business.

And as a caveat, never say never!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by djstreet
    TWitter has a search function that permits a level of instant information unmatched by google.
    I'm not sure where you're going with this. Twitter may well have had 24 Billion queries for the month but how many of these are actively trying to seek information that they don't know (like my example below).

I did a small test. I have a well recognised piece of language software (to teach me Spanish). I had a problem with it and therefore defaulted to using a search engine (Google) to find the answer to the problem. Voila, I found it.

I tried to do the same thing on Twitter and numerous other SMN's and found nothing...

INSTANT and CURRENT information and specifically news is all what social media networks are about - finding the answers to an average search term is more of a problem.
    Last edited by double_dd; Jul 9th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Social Networking Sites gets more traffic

Originally Posted by newinseo
    Hello,

I recently read an article about the growth of social media sites facebook & twitter.

Here is something what the article says.

Over 90% of the web's content is being generated through social media. The new paradigm is about how do I create and share rather than just search for something that someone I don't know may have put it up.

Considering the fact that a lot of traffic is being generated from social media sites is there a possibility that search engines like google will be left behind.

Let me know your expert thought on this.
    Yeah I am also read a interesting article about social networking and a search engine
    You don't believe a social networking site compete Google. Any Body guess ? I am waiting for your answers.
  7. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by double_dd
    I'm not sure where you're going with this. Twitter may well have had 24 Billion queries for the month but how many of these are actively trying to seek information that they don't know (like my example below).

I did a small test. I have a well recognised piece of language software (to teach me Spanish). I had a problem with it and therefore defaulted to using a search engine (Google) to find the answer to the problem. Voila, I found it.

I tried to do the same thing on Twitter and numerous other SMN's and found nothing...

INSTANT and CURRENT information and specifically news is all what social media networks are about - finding the answers to an average search term is more of a problem.
    Sure, granted, but that doesn't mean it's not a search engine and it doesn't have search results.

When I'm following the latest free agents and trades I get real time info at the same time as reporters b/c we're all following the same breaking details from twitter. There is a relevance unmatched for this type of information.

Under zero circumstances was google going to deliver that type of information, until, at best, the half a day later when someone blogged about it.

Another example. If i want to search reviews for a new product/service then I'll look on twitter for real conversations and explorations. I'll of course look at google for more information too, but I can tell right now hwat ppl think rather than a review from six months ago.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Well I use Facebook for keeping up to date with old friends, but to find something I would normally use Google. I personally can't see me using Facebook to find something like affiliate programs, products, etc. Unless things change a huge deal.
  11. No Profile Picture

It would be too early to predict the end of search engines and people using social media as their new search engine. The objective and purpose of both search engines and social media is different and hence both of them should not be mixed. It is quite rue that most of the traffic is going to social networks like twitter and facebook and companies are using these sites as their promotional tool and a spot where they can find and reach to their customer easily.

I believe that even after a couple of years we would still need a dedicated search engine, could be with more features and design.

Regards
  13. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Biggest Social Media Search Engines!

BIGGEST SOCIAL MEDIA SEARCH ENGINES:

twitter
    facebook

But both search engines and social media are for different purposes so thay don't have any sort of competition or comparison.

Regards!
    Last edited by distinctseo; Jul 25th, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned

social media can't replace search engines. they're entirely 2 different things.
  17. No Profile Picture

Death to search?

Perhaps the growth in search on social media will require a fundamental shift in how online presence is constructed for a business.

In terms of SEO Looking specifically at Twitter the transient nature of the information on the site, means leaving an active footprint of information requires lots of activity.

Plus I think relvancy of results that the engines produce is hard for SM sites to replicate
    Last edited by Keir Harness; Jul 25th, 2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo
  19. Super Moderator

To all the naysayers who think that Google search engine and Twitter (or social media) search none of you would get jobs in either company (social media or Google).

Yes, they do have different distinct capabilities in their results, however, both are figuring out ways to stretch into each other's market share. THe lines are getting blurred and search will simply be search, there will soon be no differentiation between 'social media' search and the normal google search.

Mark my words.
  21. SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

yes, I remember hearing digg and stumble a couple of years ago but now its face book and Twitter. I hope they will continue on top.
  23. Raghvendra Tripathi
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hello,

I recently read an article about the growth of social media sites facebook & twitter.

Over 90% of the web's content is being generated through social media. The new paradigm is about how do I create and share rather than just search for something that someone I don't know may have put it up.

Considering the fact that a lot of traffic is being generated from social media sites is there a possibility that search engines like google will be left behind.

People will use social media to post content but use Search engines to find them
    Competing on Internet require something more than a website and that is Search Engine Optimization :

Raghvendra Tripathi ( Not About SEO)
  25. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Social media and search engine are two different things. social media also contain a lot of information but they never over comes the purpose of search engine.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Banned

I don't think so that social media will over take search engine.Now a days social media become popular but its not mean that they will overtake search engine.search engine has its own importance and it will never down.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Hello,

socila mead website are growing very fast, specially facebook and twitter, you are right that most of traffic we are getting from them, with the passage of time, i thing they can do some magic to left these search engine, it is hard but no impossible.

socila meda nad