1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Question Wikipedia is created by User:..?

Wikipedia provides unique and factual information, this free encyclopedia is trustworthy. But It is not created by the user, it is actually Created by the editors. I am also a wikipedia user but "I have never tried this at home". Everytime i post an article they declined it, with some reasons.

anyone having a good experience with wikipedia ..?
  3. No Profile Picture
    cbp
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

What is the article topic you are posting about?
  5. Senior Member

Hey KarnRawat,

I've edited existing Wikipedia pages in the past successfully, but never created one from scratch. You have to follow their guidelines and policies to get approval for edits/newly created pages, and even then, there is no guarantee that your page will stick.

On a side note, Wikipedia isn't really seen as a reliable or trustworthy informational site anymore - its rampant with misinformation, partly due to the vast amount of topics they cover (there's no way to fact-check that many topics/pages and ensure accuracy) and also because of the nature of the beast - ie; being community edited.

In fact, I write freelance, and pretty much every place I write for requires trusted sources, and they often specifically state that you can't use Wikipedia. I don't even think schools let students use Wikipedia as a reference source any longer.

Just FYI.

Comments on this post

• KarnRawat agrees
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by cbp
    What is the article topic you are posting about?
    "Technical Support Today" but it seems they need sources
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by jamespayne
    Hey KarnRawat,

I've edited existing Wikipedia pages in the past successfully, but never created one from scratch. You have to follow their guidelines and policies to get approval for edits/newly created pages, and even then, there is no guarantee that your page will stick.

On a side note, Wikipedia isn't really seen as a reliable or trustworthy informational site anymore - its rampant with misinformation, partly due to the vast amount of topics they cover (there's no way to fact-check that many topics/pages and ensure accuracy) and also because of the nature of the beast - ie; being community edited.

In fact, I write freelance, and pretty much every place I write for requires trusted sources, and they often specifically state that you can't use Wikipedia. I don't even think schools let students use Wikipedia as a reference source any longer.

Just FYI.
    But Google favours Wikipedia more often in Search Engine Result Pages.
  11. No Profile Picture
    cbp
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KarnRawat
    "Technical Support Today" but it seems they need sources
    Sounds totally unsuitable for wikipedia. What exactly were you writing about?
  13. Contributing User

Its all about providing online Technical Support for PC and Computer, my company is a third party independent software support service provider. And Microsoft certified technicians can fix any software related issue in your PC or Laptop.
  15. No Profile Picture
    cbp
    Contributing User

So you writing a bout a service you are providing --> of course its going to be deleted. Totally not complying with Wikipedia editing guidelines.
    You seem to think that Wikipedia is an 'article directory'; its not.

Comments on this post

• KarnRawat agrees : its not about the article i wrote its about the resources
  17. Senior Member

Cbp is correct - it isn't really the purpose of Wikipedia. Here's an example. I wrote a book on Python programing that was published by Wrox, and on a lark, I went to Wikipedia and I added myself and my book to the Python Programming Language page as a resource - I didn't create a whole new entry for my book. Since it was (at the time anyway) a legitimate source of information about Python, it stuck (no clue if it is still there). However, if I was supplying people with a "Python programming service", odds are it would never have made it. A resource is more something that provides information and not a service someone provides. Make sense?

Comments on this post

• KarnRawat agrees