Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Post Twitter 24 Billion searches = 2nd biggest 'search engine'

http://social.venturebeat.com/2010/0...llion-queries/

Twitter is now fielding 800 million search queries a day, or 24 billion a month.

Is that a big deal?

Yes, because they are no second in the search engine list exceeding both Bing and yahoo combined.

Why you should be worried? If you haven't innovated to carve out a niche presence in Twitter then you're missing a very large piece of the pie.....
  3. SEO Chip
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I agree. Twitter is the elephant in the room. You can tell by the number of people posting and viewing on SM in the forum there is a sense of apprehension.
  5. SEO Professional
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Right Chip7 and djstreet,

Anyone who has a target market on Twitter should absolutely be exploring it and looking into Twitter tools too. It is here to stay and I would imagine that twitter advertising will become a viable option for many large & mid-sized corporations for years to come.

Not to mention all the cool ways to monitor Twitter activity for excellent opportunities to reach in and make a sale. Not many other mediums allow us to do that!
    Get Your FREE SEO Guide on how I managed to grab the #1 position on Google
    for hundreds of extremely competitive keywords...

==> Get FREE Google Ranking Guide Here!
  7. Super Moderator

Twitter is NOT ot be used, however, as a traditional advertising tool. You'll kill yourself if all you do is shove adverts to your twitter audience. Woo your target market, don't sell to them.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I'm thinking the way to woo your target market with Twitter, djstreet, is think about what they'd be interested in, and give it to them. That's not necessarily your product; it may be related, though, and it can even pull people to your website to support your other marketing efforts.

Say you sell specialty make-up and latex, like they use in Hollywood and haunted houses and stuff. You could review a book related to that field, and Twitter about it. "X's new book on how to build your haunted house sucks. Why? Find out here:" followed by the link to your blog (of course, don't say it sucks unless you really thought it did!).

Yeah, I know, kind of an obvious example. The point I'm trying to make, though, is that I think your tweets need to not so much advertise your product as offer your followers a service...the kind of information they want and can't get anywhere else, in small bites.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by distinctseo
    http://social.venturebeat.com/2010/0...llion-queries/

Twitter is now fielding 800 million search queries a day, or 24 billion a month.

Is that a big deal?

Yes, because they are no second in the search engine list exceeding both Bing and yahoo combined.

Why you should be worried? If you haven't innovated to carve out a niche presence in Twitter then you're missing a very large piece of the pie.....
    yes i am agree with you, twitter is a large network and it do have many communities about every thing, and webmaster from each business niche can easily find their audience in relevant community.
  13. No Profile Picture

i use twitter and yes it really is growing very fast. a lot of celebrities are using twitter and that's why their fans are getting used to it too so they can follow their idol.
  15. No Profile Picture

Lots of talk in behave of twitter so I am using this but no opportunity gotten from this.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Question

Does anyone else have a more useful site for Twitter trends?
    http://tweetstats.com/trends
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by distinctseo
    Twitter is NOT ot be used, however, as a traditional advertising tool. You'll kill yourself if all you do is shove adverts to your twitter audience. Woo your target market, don't sell to them.
    Exactly. I don't think that there is another social media venue with users so sensitive to spam. Anything too "conventional marketing" oriented will raise an immediate red flag.
  21. SEO Chip

I think it is not so much wooing your target but building a real personal relationship. Keeping social media "social" about relationship building not business building.
  23. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chip7
    I think it is not so much wooing your target but building a real personal relationship. Keeping social media "social" about relationship building not business building.
    Now you're nitpicking at semantics. By woo I mean precisely what you're saying. Although I do'nt think you can actually have a personal relationship with a corporation. You can certainly create something more than faceless interaction, but lifelong pals? That's a personal relationship....

Not to detract from the point that marketers need to seek that sweet spot of 'customer relations'.
  25. No Profile Picture

Yea you gotta use twitter for marketing no doubt
  27. SEO Chip

I agree with you distinct. I just think it is comical when social media guys use the Southwest Airlines channel on Utube or Toyota's Facebook campaign and say that is how to do it. The only companies that should be using SM are the local small business anyway. One to 10 employee type operations can truly "get personal" and use it the way we are really talking about.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry to burst the bubble here but Twitter is a millon miles away from taking over the world of search

Here is some data for your head.

Just USA data

The following report shows search engines for the industry 'All Categories', ranked by Volume of Searches for the 4 weeks ending 10/09/2010. Rank Search Engine Searches

www.google.com
    71.66%

search.yahoo.com
    13.91%

www.bing.com
    10.07%

www.ask.com
    2.47%

www.aolsearch.com
    1.26%

Where is Twitter? Nowhere and twitter will never take over search because you can only post 140 characters in a string which is pointless for a search engine.

You search for a holiday for example, you're not going to read 1000 posts to read the who topic your going to go to the most relevant search result.

And if that were the case don't you think the SE's would do something about it? Maybe not crawl or index it as much if at all?

I know in my lifetime that Google, Yahoo and Bing are hear to stay along with all the other media giants.

I will eat my weight in bananas if it comes true.

Cheers,
    Joe
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: