Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Social Networks for SEO

I've just noticed that some of my competiors' websites have the links leading to Facebook and Twitter. I followed the links and found out that there are their personal business accounts and communities there.

So,just wondering, is there any SEO use of social networks? And should I do the same for my website?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

What does your gut tell you? What did a google search on same tell you? What did chatting about this with friends/peers or clients tell you? Did you email those firms and ask them (as often people will make truthful statements that prove 'they know what they're doing)?

Guess what I'm saying is, why do you "ask" when you can "test" the situational analysis of a tactic that you've bumped into....

IMHO, that's the true diff tween someone who DOES SEO, and someone who WANTS to do SEO....the doing itself!

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

North East Ohio & Central/Western Pennsylvania
    Risking getting my head bit off here, as some seos treat social networks as the death of search (not true at all, btw).

You're dealing with 2 different creatures here, thinking that they're the same.

As stated above, testing may be required here but would there be any seo benefit for a company having and linking to its social pages/features? My initial response is that typically, no.

The benefit your competitors seek in those links is in promoting their social network. The social network for a business is to drive traffic and sales to the company/website by communicating directly with users, so it's only natural that those networks are promoted through the website as well.

Success when publishing news/updates on the site itself depends on exposure, and if all or majority of sites traffic is through search, well it might miss completely. The advantage of the social network is that those updates to the networks themselves land in the users streams/feeds. Immediate exposure with hopes for an immediate response. There's a science to publishing those updates, too.

Seo and social marketing/promotion are very different things. A lot of people debate if effort should be put into seo or social promotion... the answer is both. Each have their own rewards: seo brings you new users, social keeps you connected to the old (but can bring new through those users networks as well when they interact).

As the web evolves, so must its professionals.

Comments on this post

• JVRudnick agrees : not a bad answer here, skinny! now, add in 'online rep' and 'credibility creation' and 'expert in your field' as "other" social goals...and you've got a great start, eh! nice one lad!
    • LeMedia agrees
    Last edited by Skinny Vinny; Jun 4th, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned

No, you should not use that way.That,s come under spamming.You should use the ways which are white hat.

Comments on this post

• googler : Incorrect, read the OP's question, it i sabsolutely not Black Hat
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'd have to agree with most of what skinny has said here. The way I see it is social media is a great way to promote a brand, business, website - whatever it may be. The traffic and the links it can build will improve your seo. I've said it in another post - social media is time-consuming and should be given the time it deserves to get the most out of it.

Purely having a link to a facebook or twitter page on your homepage will NOT improve your ranking; but the use of social media and the consequences most probably will do.

DD
  11. No Profile Picture

Smile Social Networks for SEO

A great one from Skinny Vinny right there. Fact is he's right, social networks are totally helpful for marketing your site. I mean nowadays more people use facebook than google, so what does that tell you? It's really quite obvious why your competitors (and everybody else) are doing this. Give it a try, if you can't beat them join them, right?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Social networking is a grouping of individuals into specific groups, of their interest. It allows people to express their individuality and meet people with similar interest. It is based on certain structure which includes having profiles Blog post, friends, widgets and usually something unique to that particular social website—Such as the ability to ‘poke’ people etc.

Best
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Thread moved to Social Media.

Facebook, Twitter, and the like are more about creating community with your customers/visitors. It is much less about SEO.

That said, if you have something brilliant on your site, and you promote it through your social media campaigns, then you may perhaps end up with a few more links to it from the community, which can be extremely good for your SEO.

Social is not for everyone. Purchases that are made few and far between in a persons life (flooring, home renovation, moving companies, transmission repair, locksmiths, etc), are far less likely to succeed in a social media campaign, simply because once the purchase is made, there's not all that much a customer will be interested in. Some coupons, discounts, free gifts, etc., might work, but you have to act wisely.

Don't get a Facebook or Twitter account just simply because everyone else is doing it. Figure out what your strategy would be in doing such a thing before proceeding.

Comments on this post

• terriwells agrees : Some very good insights here, especially about what is NOT likely to work as far as a social campaign.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Banned

re:Social network for SEO

Social media optimization is very popular trend todays era . If you search any competitive keyword on the net , you will notice that profile are exist related these keyword on these type of websites. So social media optimization should be done for good SERP.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Banned

I don't think that will help much.Visitors use social media site to increase social contacts.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Use social media to drive traffic, but don't use it to try to increase rankings. While social media may provide some tiny bit of SEO value, by and large social media provides very little in the way of SEO benefits.

Most social media sites NOFOLLOW your links. If the links such as profile links or tweets happen to be followed then there is usually no way to associate link text with them. The shortened URL in a tweet has no link text... Even if your full URL will fit in your tweet there is no way to use your URL's targeted keyword phrase as the link text. Most profile links simply use the URL itself as the link text. So even if the links are followed, most simply pass you a tiny bit of keyword agnostic juice.

Social media should NOT be avoided IMO. It's yet another way to market a site online. But use it to send traffic to your site, and don't worry about the SEO benefits. If you get some it's just gravy. Think of social media like offline advertising or SEM/PPC... It's necessary to drive traffic, but likely won't benefit your site from an SEO perpsective in most cases.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Canonical
    Use social media to drive traffic, but don't use it to try to increase rankings. While social media may provide some tiny bit of SEO value, by and large social media provides very little in the way of SEO benefits.

Most social media sites NOFOLLOW your links. If the links such as profile links or tweets happen to be followed then there is usually no way to associate link text with them. The shortened URL in a tweet has no link text... Even if your full URL will fit in your tweet there is no way to use your URL's targeted keyword phrase as the link text. Most profile links simply use the URL itself as the link text. So even if the links are followed, most simply pass you a tiny bit of keyword agnostic juice.

Social media should NOT be avoided IMO. It's yet another way to market a site online. But use it to send traffic to your site, and don't worry about the SEO benefits. If you get some it's just gravy. Think of social media like offline advertising or SEM/PPC... It's necessary to drive traffic, but likely won't benefit your site from an SEO perpsective in most cases.
    Thats exactly right.
    Most social sites are nofollow indeed, however when used right, you cannot ignore the traffic and buzz increase your website will get.
    If this translates into SEO related benefits - Thats on case by case, if your fans will link to you from their websites.
    In most cases - It's a traffic driver.
    If you do it well enough to actually get your fans talking about it, commenting on your website (if possible)
    and generating debates all around the net - then maybe you'll see a SEO boost (more links\comments\mentions) as well.

Comments on this post

• Mushu agrees
  25. SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

you can also try it, I also wanted to do that but don't know or not sure if its being counted as back links because they have redirect links not even a no follow also you need to log in to see your account, I think its still worth trying...
  27. No Profile Picture
    Banned

smo

smo is best part of seo. some of the smo site are genrate traffic for your website and google count them in back link too.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Not 100% sure on SEO, but I know it will help in your traffic and branding a bit. Plus as always, more exposure to your business, the better.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: