1. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Social Media - Is it suitable for every business?

Originally Posted by markroberts
    Sharing on social media is probably fine - but its effectiveness depends on the quality and type of your content. Not all things work great on social media, it's far from a magic bullet.
    Are there any places where people can think of a business that wouldn't do well within social media? Every type of business I can think of has a suitable use in social media (b2b services for example have a strong use in linkedin)
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Haha, my opinion is probably ill-informed so this is definitely a great discussion to have.

Well, I suppose it depends on your goals and your methods. But I guess the same could be said about anything.

Placing well targeted ads on social media seems to be effective, from what I've heard. And to be honest, I forgot about LinkedIn.

I guess I think that some people approach social media with a "my content is guaranteed to go viral no matter what just because I made a Facebook post about it." And then they seem to be mystified when they ask, "Why are my profiles going nowhere? I got the accounts, I put myself out there - it should all just come to me!" But if the content isn't phenomenal, if the audience doesn't exist, and if you're not engaging with others in some way, I think the chances for success are slim.

It's difficult for me to defend the idea that some industries are more suited to social media than others...there are even insurance agencies that have large Twitter followings, as boring as that subject might appear on the surface to someone looking for fun.

It's obviously important to be creative. So maybe I should refine my statement to be that not all companies should approach social media in the same way, and that there is no "magic bullet" approach - no one-size-fits-all social media strategy.

But I'm about as green as the days are short this time of year - so I'd love to hear other thoughts!
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by ThomasHarvey
    Are there any places where people can think of a business that wouldn't do well within social media? Every type of business I can think of has a suitable use in social media (b2b services for example have a strong use in linkedin)
    I've always went with this thought process:
    If a site/business is social in nature social media is a good avenue.
    A few examples of sites that I believe wouldn't fit is a plumber, business phone systems, auto mechanic, painter just to name a few.
  7. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I've always went with this thought process:
    If a site/business is social in nature social media is a good avenue.
    A few examples of sites that I believe wouldn't fit is a plumber, business phone systems, auto mechanic, painter just to name a few.
    Just taking a few of your examples and seeing how I could make new content from it:

auto mechanic:
    Interesting cars that come in, special offers that they have, weekly "guess the car" competitions.

painter:
    Places they've worked, cool designs found via viral content (buzzfeed - 10000 amazing walls you won't believe are walls!)

Someone I work with is a roofer, and they use the height to their advantage, if they're on a high building they take pictures of the surrounding landscapes, it works for the local audience as they recognise the location AND it's from a different perspective.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Promote Your Business on Social Media

Social media is an inexpensive way to promote your business/website and to keep new and existing customers chatting about your business.

However, if you have a business that could potentially lead to complaints or negative reviews, and you do have have good experience in handling these bad comemnts, then, do not use social media, as it could quickly harm the image of the business.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

auto mechanic:
    Interesting cars that come in, special offers that they have, weekly "guess the car" competitions.
    Hmmmm. Yes an auto mechanic could do all of that and they could build up a massive social media following but for the time involved would it be worth it. I mean what is the point of a Los Angelas mechanic having 10,000 Facebook fans who love his car chat if most of them are based outside the area he services?
  13. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Doodled
    Hmmmm. Yes an auto mechanic could do all of that and they could build up a massive social media following but for the time involved would it be worth it. I mean what is the point of a Los Angelas mechanic having 10,000 Facebook fans who love his car chat if most of them are based outside the area he services?
    True, but there's a brand that I follow in the UK that I have personally gone to because of the quality of work I know they do because of their social media presence. I have to travel for 4 hours just to get there.
  15. Contributing User

It depends what you define as a business. For example, back in the day on Balkans before globalization set in, there was a lot of product shortage. Countries such as Bosnia, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia and Macedonia had various supply issues. In order to meet the demand, people would go to Turkey and Hungary and smuggle different items. Just to be clear, when I say smuggling, I mean crossing the border and bribing the state official because different trade barriers didn't allow for free transit of goods. When smuggler returned to his own country, he would sell items either trough a registered company or on the black market. So you see, even if you had a registered company, you wouldn't like for state authorities to realize that you are selling Turkish ironing boards which are basically prohibited by the law. Although back in the day there weren't social media, you still wouldn't like to advertise your products so openly. Even though governments allowed for such a behavior, it wouldn't be prudent to define them openly. Cool example, huh?
  17. No Profile Picture

I think most businesses should at least have the basics like a Facebook page properly set up with relevant info and also a Google Business page. I find some business owners over stress about time involved with setting it up and updating. With things like scheduled posting you can plan your posts ahead of time and so it doesn't take up hours per week to do.

I use to work for a web agency where the (older) owner basically had the attitude of 'I think social media is stupid. Why should I have to do it' Pretty much he took a half arsed approach to doing some FB posts and one cruddy ad. Because his efforts generated little results, he declared social media was rubbish and never bothered attempting FB, Twitter, Google +, Instagram or even Google Ads at all. So pretty much the only way people can find him is through his poorly optimized and hardly updated website.

The irony is his website lists Social Media marketing as a services..