1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Social Media Campaign of an "Unsocial" or Taboo Product

I have been given an opportunity to do SMM for coffee. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+ are social media sites which I have to use for the promotion. But I'm scared because the product is a coffee which most people feel disgust about. It is Kopi Luwak which is made from cat's poop. I'm afraid to ask people to like my page on facebook or post anything on Google+, Twitter etc. What should be my approach for promoting such product which is disliked by many?
    Last edited by aristocrataks; Apr 16th, 2014 at 12:27 PM.
  3. Senior Member
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I've actually heard of Kopi Luwak - if I'm not mistaken its actually the most expensive coffee on the market right? It isn't really made from cat feces either - the cat-like animal eats the coffee beans, excretes them, and then those beans are used in the coffee making process. But yeah...can't imagine being a fan of that!

However, I would say you have to target that specific demographic, so seek out others that enjoy that particular type of coffee and try to friend them - see who is following them, etc.

Whatever you do, don't describe it in your promotional work the way you did here!

Comments on this post

• aristocrataks agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Yes you're right about that coffee. And thanks, James. I liked your suggestion. I'll find people who also like Kopi Luwak and will try to be friend with them on Facebook. Later on, I'll post some quotes, funny pictures related to coffee, and some news/blogs in which Kopi Luwak is mentioned. Thanks for the help.
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Sounds like argan oil, a very prized item which was produced by extracting the nuts from goat poo, before more modern methods took over:
    How Goats Climb Trees and Help Produce Argan Oil

Poop jokes would likely be a good way to attract links...

That said, the question is whether you're marketing something that you would be happy to market. Wikipedia says that this is often harvested by force feeding the animals and that it's not a humane farming method...
  9. No Profile Picture

GabrielG,

That is why people are having so much hatred for this particular coffee. And I have to convince them that it is not the case. Animal cruelty is done by those people who are not authentic producers of this coffee. Sadly, people are very biased and 95% of the them really hate Kopi Luwak. I wonder how I'll ever be able to attract people and make them love it.
  11. No Profile Picture

So provide undeniable evidence to the largest coffee connoisseur groups on Facebook and G+ that your product is produced in a sustainable and humane method. You'll need one hell of a landing page to pull this off though, along with all the other supporting media.

Does the purveyor partner with environmental awareness/animal rights groups to get the word out that their product isn't produced in a way which compromises animal rights? If not, why not?