1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Social buttons: use or not

Dear All,

Could you, please, give an advice: I've been using social like buttons on my websites, but recently came across this (LikeBtn), which says that social buttons slow down my websites.

What do you think? Should I get rid of social like buttons?
    Last edited by dzine; Jan 25th, 2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: snipped link
  3. No Profile Picture

I'm not quite sure about this. But I guess this blog post could help you decide Social buttons slowing down site load times? | SiteKickr Blog

On a personal note, I would still use social media buttons for easy-sharing of content
  5. No Profile Picture

I think it's important for people visiting your website to have the ability to share, a thing which of course makes your website more popular.. I don't think it slows down the website enough to give up social buttons..
  7. Contributing User

Social buttons are rather powerful tool for the site promotion and if they slow your site, then not so much and in general it is better to use them 'cause Google "likes" sites socialization.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi ... I think adding social buttons is a smart step. It not only helps you to improve your social profile's but also makes your site as a reputed one. It shows that you have various other online presence and makes people to belive more in your site.
  11. No Profile Picture

Well i agree with most of you, the social share buttons are really helpful and i have been adding them on almost of of my websites.
    As far as the page load time is concerned it wont be affected that much by the same. But yes, you can look for some other factors
    that may be slowing down your page load speed. -Try to optimize all the images used on the website - Minimize the inline CSS and Javascript Code used
    and many such factors..
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it's up to you. How many social buttons do you have? You don't have to have all of them, especially if you don't have activity on all of them. You can use socialize, where you can select which social media buttons do you want to be on, or use share this, where is just a orange button and when you click it appear all the social buttons. But I don't reccomand to you to remove them.
  15. No Profile Picture

I would most certainly keep the social sharing buttons on your site. A few ideas that might help you improve page loading times is:

1. Distribute content no through your site but through sites specifically made for the task. This will not help you create more backlinks around the web but it will allow you to leverage social sharing buttons connected to your content without impacting anything on your own web pages.

2. Another idea is to look into different types of social sharing widgets / plugins. You may be just using a sub-optimal sharing button feature and speeding things up might just be as easy as applying new code / strategy to your current sites content.

Whatever approach you take keeping social share buttons is almost a must in today's high paced social world and even if they slow your pages down a bit as others have mentioned they are probably still worth it.

Comments on this post

• ErinWalsh agrees
  17. No Profile Picture

I agree with what was said on #2. So many times I have designed a WP setting and just used the wrong social media plugin. It can really slow things down. I would try to troubleshoot it and get something that will speed it up. Mess around with some site speed tools to see if you can make improvements in other spots, too. Or maybe you just need a faster server.
  19. No Profile Picture

Yes by including social media sharing buttons in our website it slowdown our website performance.

Once check this link javascript - Social media buttons slow down website load time - Stack Overflow
    to overcome this problem
    Last edited by dzine; Nov 11th, 2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: sig
  21. No Profile Picture

If you store social media button images locally and code the links properly, there is nothing there to slow down your page. FaceBook, Twitter and Google+ share links are simple URL tags - no need for javascript.

23. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    It doesn't slow down the process if done right, try to keep as much local as you possibly can. Only annoying thing is that you can minify external scripts.
  25. No Profile Picture

Who said that your site is slow down because of social site button. If your site slow down after posting this button to your site theny maybe you are using copy paste code or any widget which contain extra detail about the site from where you got this. Make sure you are using just social button code nothing else.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think you should not do away with the social buttons! Your visitors should have the freedom to like/ share your content - it makes your site more interactive!
    And also lets people know that you are present on the social platforms.
  29. No Profile Picture

Social Buttons are really important to promote your services. If someone find any interesting content he/she can easily share the page within their social circle. I don't agree with someone says that says that social buttons slowdown your page speed. If you think that is true you can always try another plugin or widget for social buttons.