Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Should I clean up my twitter list?

When I first joined twitter two years ago I signed up for one of those services that automatically gets you followers and in return you follow them. The result was that I now have a heck of a lot of followers, but a good number of those are people who have nothing to do with my niche...and are mostly into internet marketing type things.

I'm thinking it's best for me to go through my list of people who I follow and delete those who obviously have no connection to me.

Do you guys see any problems with doing this?
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

How many people do you think are going to sniff your twitter followers?
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Twitter isn't about # (unless you're a narcissist which many tweeters are ).

You are building network, not a contest to see how many 'work at home marketers' you can add to your account.

Build effectively with targeted followers and your social media sphere will become an integral component of your business.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Crappy followers really don't hurt you but some people look at it as a measurement of authority.

I think I have 200 followers but I don't think that's an accurate reflection upon my knowledge or value. Who knows though?
    Last edited by Nickfb76; Feb 4th, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter for SEO tips @NickLeRoy
  9. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Crappy may not hurt, but they have no worth.

200 great follwers is better in both the networking factor AND ranking. Google can figure out who are the active players in your field (not the auto bots). So I'd clean it. Twistimage had a good post about this a couple months ago.

http://www.twistimage.com/blog/archi...ip-of-twitter/
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Re

Well, most of these followers are bots or scripted program, which never respond to your tweets, not sure how much worth these followers add to twitter account, but if no. of followers is a parameter of quality of twitter, then don't consider to delete these.
    But in actual they are not adding worth to your account.
  13. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

I realize now that it was silly to get mass followers, but in 2009 when I did it I was new to the whole social media thing.

My thought is that I am actually networking with some people in Twitter. I've made some relationships with other pet webmasters and vets. I can now see some of the value of Twitter.

I guess I will clean up my list...and I've already disconnected from the following software.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Absolutely it would be worth it, especially if you're using Twitter on a regular basis. It should make it a LOT easier to have meaningful conversations when you don't have to fight through 100 irrelevant posts each second of the day.

Comments on this post

• distinctseo agrees
  17. No Profile Picture

I think it is a great idea. Twitter has become useless because people follow you for absolutely no reason...and never follow your tweets. Maybe you should start a campaign for ever one to clean up their accounts so it becomes useful again!
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think its important to look at your followers in relation to the people you're following, if you're following 2x more than are following you, your account might look spammy. I generally keep to the rule of about 70-80%, the number of people i follow is 70-80% of the number that are following me. I think its good to follow people because then it looks like you are engaging in the community.
  21. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

An update: I cleaned up my list of people I follow, so now I follow about 80 people who I am really interested in. I am now totally in love with Twitter. I learn so much from people in my industry! And I am making relationships.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have used tweepi in the past to clean up my followers. I find it's very good in a lot of respects especially to identify "dead accounts" - ie: ones that haven't been active or posted anything for say 6 months plus.

However I would air on the side of caution because I lost a lot of people who had listed me and for whatever reason even though they hadn't posted for a long long time and where relevant to my subject matter of interest decided to take me off their listed lists and must have been using an automated software of sorts because before I knew it a great deal of them were posting that I had unfollowed them! Anyway each to their own.
  25. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

Originally Posted by julia M
    I have used tweepi in the past to clean up my followers. I find it's very good in a lot of respects especially to identify "dead accounts" - ie: ones that haven't been active or posted anything for say 6 months plus.

However I would air on the side of caution because I lost a lot of people who had listed me and for whatever reason even though they hadn't posted for a long long time and where relevant to my subject matter of interest decided to take me off their listed lists and must have been using an automated software of sorts because before I knew it a great deal of them were posting that I had unfollowed them! Anyway each to their own.
    Julia...do you get any benefit from being on these lists?
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    Julia...do you get any benefit from being on these lists?
    The vast majority give us a link on their site to ours. They are almost all topic related "Pet Industry and / or Travelling With Pets" if they are not then they in turn have friends on Twitter or Facebook that they tell about our site because they are very keen on talking about their pets in general.

Up until recently we haven't carried out much SEO on our site (another story altogether) but have found that Twitter has been invaluable in link building, driving traffic to our site and generally making our site more notable within this already heavily saturated niche market.

On another note, I think since Matt Cutts mentioned in his video that Social Media was going to be far more important in Googles' eyes, I personally have noticed that a lot of the Pet Charity and Pet Rescue accounts have started Tweeting much more. Before they were a lot more dormant.

So coming back to your question, having a good figure in your listing section of ones Twitter account I think is more important or will be more important, than the actual amount of followers one has; especially as the SE's are taking Social Media far more seriously. IMO
  29. No Profile Picture

I'd clean it up if I were you. Like the comments above said, Twitter is not about numbers. What's more important is you are connecting with people within the same niche.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: