Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

The SEO Benefit of a FB like

I'd love to have some more discussion on the SEO Benefits of a FB Like button.

It was the recent SEOMoz article that started up the discussion.

I recently revived and redesigned my blog. To my surprise, people are actually "liking" my posts! (It's not a huge number - just a few random likes here and there.)

It looks like I get more likes using the word "Recommend" rather than "like".

I really think it is a brilliant move for Google. It would be relatively easy to find and devalue any spam facebook users or bots, and give credence to likes from real people across the planet. This means that again, good content (and not just SEO skills) is promoted.

So, have any of you guys found any boost from people liking your stuff?

Do you think getting a pile of likes on a blog post is likely to boost your whole site, or just that post?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    I'd love to have some more discussion on the SEO Benefits of a FB Like button.

It was the recent SEOMoz article that started up the discussion.

I recently revived and redesigned my blog. To my surprise, people are actually "liking" my posts! (It's not a huge number - just a few random likes here and there.)

It looks like I get more likes using the word "Recommend" rather than "like".

I really think it is a brilliant move for Google. It would be relatively easy to find and devalue any spam facebook users or bots, and give credence to likes from real people across the planet. This means that again, good content (and not just SEO skills) is promoted.

So, have any of you guys found any boost from people liking your stuff?

Do you think getting a pile of likes on a blog post is likely to boost your whole site, or just that post?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
    The concept is brilliant, but the ability to spam such a practice is a nightmarish reality. I wrote a blog post on my personal blog regarding why I think 'social rank' will die in 2011. http://nickleroy.com/social-rank-will-die-in-2011

Most disagree with my assessment and to be honest, I hope i'm completely wrong too!
    Follow me on Twitter for SEO tips @NickLeRoy
  5. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

Interesting article Nick! Personally I think it would be quite easy for Google to pick up the spam tweets and likes.

My guess is that likes and tweets only influence a site's SEO if there are a significant number of them. The SEOMoz article also stated that G will take into account the authority of the person who is liking or tweeting.

So, if someone opens up 200 twitter accounts and tweets their own stuff repeatedly it's not likely to be helpful. But if I have 200 people who like and tweet random stuff all over the web liking and tweeting my stuff then this is really good. And, if I have stuff from a year ago that is still being actively liked and tweeted then this is good too.
  7. Contributing User

Whats to stop me from giving you $10.00 to tweet the link out to my latest SEO article. Are you going to say no?

Spam tweets/likes are a small nuisance. Paid/sponsored tweet/likes are what will be the issue. Everything is 'gameable' and i'm guessing that social rank only plays a very small part in organic rankings. However, as we all know, enough 'small parts' help you on your journey to the top.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

@Nick and @Doc...thought I'd chime in here....

if you know me, you know that I love research and testing to validate hypotheses....and let me brief you on one of my latest efforts...which I simply call "paid Tweet testing"

I went 8 months ago to this site -- sponsoredtweets.com and signed up. I listed the 10 groups that I'd like my sponsored tweets to be sent to (about 80k) of categorys and listed my own 'value' for a tweet at a minimum of .05...ie a nickel...and I waited....and within 3 days, I had begun to receive opportunities from various firms to sponsor my tweets...all at that nickel or above.

I did not craft anything that a copywriter would be proud of, simply put, I added a short "eh" to most of the sample copy and sent back my "I'm in" to the site...and waited to see if the sponsor would 'bite" on my offer to play. they all did...well I think 99% anyways.

Over the past 4 months, I have sent out 51 sponsored tweets for 33 various sponsors, and I've earned $6.84 !!! wooHoo...

But as you can tell, this was hardly an attempt to earn $...instead I've been haunting Twitter itself for any hint, any mention, any 'feeling' that these obvious sponsored tweets were in any way 'not liked' by anyone...and so far, I have found not a single solitary mention of same. I run 5 various social media tracking campaigns for clients -- and it was easy to tag in my own Twitter ID too...and so far, I have determined that sponsored Tweets neither make you rich, nor hurt your online rep either...at least at the low level that I tested.

No real surprise I imagine to many here....but what I have noticed in our analytics apps, is that the # of referrals from Twitter to my own blog site (my Twitter ID is badged with same) has increased about 25%.

At this point, I can't yet determine if that's a function of the sponsored tweets....but I also (damn it) can't rule it out either. My followers have increased to over 850 I think and I'm getting tagged for lists I've never heard of almost a couple every day in this new month....

That ALL said...point is, I believe, that sponsored tweets will grow. Spammers already (judging from my own cleanups) have me targeted in the SEO category as my spams often now come in with my site badge notation from Twitter too...

..sigh...man, there's a lot to research and learn about, eh!

:-)

Jim

PS my average sponsored price per tweet is now up (in the past 10 days or so) to $1 per tweet..and I've not had an offer in two days I think....so perhaps things have slowed...more testing to come...and I'll update when I know more...

PPS I don't accept anywhere near the offers I get....only those I can comfortably feel okay about making a tweet on their behalf....least I think I do.... :-)

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : interesting
    Last edited by JVRudnick; Jan 17th, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

11. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The value? Enormous! ENORMOUS!

Can it be maniupulated? Lots of people say "YES!".... Honestly, I could write an algo that would spot the manipulators and Google has PhD engineers who would do a lot better than me.

Google is not freekingstupid.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  13. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

I'm with EGOL on this one.

Haha...that made me laugh. Like when am I ever against EGOL?

Nick...if you paid me $10.00 to tweet a link, I don't think that that one tweet would make a difference.

Let's consider that you paid me $100.00 to tweet 100 times about your link. I think G would figure out pretty quickly that all I am doing is tweeting stuff from your site. They could probably pick up that it is not natural.

Jim..I'm trying to figure out what you are talking about. Are you saying that you signed up to be paid for every time you tweet someone's link? I can understand how programs like this work. But again, I think G is smart enough to see a pattern that the same people are tweeting the same people's stuff in a way that is not natural.

But then again, I could be wrong!

Comments on this post

• JVRudnick agrees : um....
  15. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

The spectrum of "likes" and "recommends" ranges from IDIOTS to INFLUENCERS.

If Google engineers can identify the influencers then they can ignore everyone else.
  17. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

EGOL...I'm guessing you're an influencer on Google's list. How much will it cost for me to get you to tweet some of my stuff?
  19. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

The only tweets that I do are automatic... every post that I do on my blog gets tweeted automatically.... I pay zero attention to twitter otherwise.

Twitter is for the birds... spend your time on content.
  21. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Social media on its own can be highly manipulated, not just by sponsored tweets, but by special tools that have been created. I wonít mention the name of the tool but you can add 100ís of twitter accounts which each go and follow 100 users a day, 2 weeks later, it automatically unfollows that user if they have not followed you back, and you can even unfollow users that are following you. This result is 100ís of highly authoritative twitter accounts after only a few months and its 100% automated.

I see social remaining a very low aspect in ranking, simply because itís not worth manipulating if it isnít worth much.

I believe the only reason Google has included social to the mix is so it can look at a site and say hey, youíre getting loads of links, but youíre not getting any social links therefore Iím not going to give you a great trust score.

Twitter and facebook links are no follow, how can they help with rankings, honestly? Have there been tests that show that twitter and facebook links alone give better rankings?

At the moment I believe social links do not directly help rankings, and even though there is so much being discussed about social media, where is the proof that it directly increases ranks?
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

gol darn my late-int-the-day fingers....but what I wanted to say to @Doc is this...

it "appears" -- from our analytics (Urchin paid sever) is that we ARE getting click-thrus from Twitter via our sponsored posts that we get paid for...(okay, well...not so much paid asi it's like pennies per post)...

sorry to have to point this out...but this is very much anecdotal at this point....but still we see this very much in the past 45 days...

AND...

it appears too that G hasn't even noticed!!!!

<hey Google dont read this one, eh!>

:-)

Jim

Comments on this post

• Nickfb76 agrees : I have seen for 'sponsored' tweets... always wondered whats up. Interesting test!
  25. Contributing User

Doc. My point was less that one single tweet for $10.00 would make a difference. However if I offered 100 people $10.00 to tweet something I don't believe they will decline. Not exactly cheap, but Google CAN be a game in which the rich win.

EGOL - I'm sure you would agree that certain niches can value Twitter/Facebook more then others. I have built relationships through twitter over the year that has benefited me in many ways. When you get your comments/links re-tweeted by someone of high authority it further increases the content reach... which of course increases the opportunities for links. Plus, one could argue that the time spent on this site could be used for content generation as well.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : I agree on the value of influential retweeters.
  27. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

I am actually finding that I am making relationships with other webmasters on twitter.
  29. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Nickfb76
    When you get your comments/links re-tweeted by someone of high authority.
    And that I think is one of the things that Google will be looking at. So for instance:
    1. You create a bit of viral content
    2. hundreds re-tweet it.
    3. 10 of which are high authority and they re-tweet about it. I think rest would be ignored.

This to me is key. Imagine you had the Dragons re-tweet something on your website as well as rand, matt cutts etc. That is where the real value comes into it.

Otherwise I can not see Twitter influencing the rankings at all.

I must say I get fed up of people jumping on the bandwagon and creating an abundance of spam when something new is publicized... 99.9% of the time it wont work and they ruin it for everyone else
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: