1. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Paging Facebook Guru's

Recently, I created a Facebook Business page for our site (yes, I know we are way behind). The page was created without a personal account linked to it. I was doing some research and have not been able to find what I read about linking a personal account to a business account hence, I come here.

I thought I read that there was a downside to linking a personal account to a business account. I could be mixing this up with something else as I have done a fair amount of reading about FB in the past few weeks. The page I created was with a gmail account as I do not possess a personal account. I know that FB does not allow you to have multiple accounts. Is there a downside to linking a business account to a personal account? If I understand it correctly, I cannot create a personal account if I've created a business page but I can create a business page if I have a personal account.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Not with the same email but you can create both independently. I run many for clients. Regarding connection of personal and business page I have never read anything that suggests that's possibly a bad thing. If you find something post it here.
  5. Dancin with the devil

It's driving me nuts that I cannot find the site I read where I appeared to misunderstand what was said.

I've since done a little more reading and I think what I read was that once you create a business account, you cannot create a personal account, only link a business page to a personal account. I also discovered that creating just a business page limits you from reading profiles of your fans as well as your page not displaying when searched for. I have to say, I think this is quite stupid as I figured people would want to have a business page in FB b/c they wanted to be found. I got this info from FB:

"Business Accounts
    What actions can a business account take on the site?
    If you have a business account, you will be able to view and edit all of your Pages and Ads created with that account. You can take any action on the Pages you administer, including editing your Page information or adding Page content such as photos, videos, and events. You can also view all the statistics related to both your Pages and your ads.

You will not, however, be able to view the profile information of any other users on the site, or add any other applications to your account. Your account will not be visible in search and other users on the site will not be able to find you and add you as a friend."
    http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=12846

Distinct, do you have your clients link their business pages to their personal account or do you set up a business account for the customer using a general email address? Just curious how other are doing it, especially since I don't have a FB account.
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

One is a fake personal account, all others are business accounts with no personal account.

If you're interacting at a brand level then you're restricted in what you can do regarding interaction. But run effectively, the tools on a business facebook page would be enough to engage your clients.
  9. Dancin with the devil

Originally Posted by distinctseo
    One is a fake personal account, all others are business accounts with no personal account.

If you're interacting at a brand level then you're restricted in what you can do regarding interaction. But run effectively, the tools on a business facebook page would be enough to engage your clients.
    Thanks distinct. I am way behind the ball on this. I was not a believer in the social blitz so now I'm trying to catch up quickly.

Do the companies you search for show up when searched for in FB? That excerpt I quoted was direct from FB. I wasn't sure if that meant FB's search tool or search engine searches. I think it's silly but limiting a company like that would push me in the direction to link it to a personal account.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Lb1878
    Your account will not be visible in search and other users on the site will not be able to find you and add you as a friend."[/i] http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=12846
    Interesting that the page will not be available in search. For most of the sites I work with, search would be the only reason to add an FB site. Many of the industries I work with are very laggardly with regard to social. And, if I have to promote a site, I'm going to promote the actual URL or blog, not the FB site.

I could easily misunderstand this policy, but I'm wondering how others are using it if it is so hard to find.
  13. Dancin with the devil

Originally Posted by testsherpa
    Interesting that the page will not be available in search. For most of the sites I work with, search would be the only reason to add an FB site. Many of the industries I work with are very laggardly with regard to social. And, if I have to promote a site, I'm going to promote the actual URL or blog, not the FB site.

I could easily misunderstand this policy, but I'm wondering how others are using it if it is so hard to find.
    I don't understand it either. I think depending on the industry will determine how you choose to promote. I see many ads on TV these days that point to the FB page. It's almost as if they don't need an actual website b/c they are engaging via FB. I don't think I'll be pushing FB anytime soon but I see your point.

You would think that a major perk to creating a FB business page would be the ability to be found by searching FB. I'm sure I would not login to FB to search for a business; I would just use Google. You would at least figure that a business page in FB would display in the SERP's. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this whole thing...lol
  15. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I don't understand it either. I think depending on the industry will determine how you choose to promote. I see many ads on TV these days that point to the FB page. It's almost as if they don't need an actual website b/c they are engaging via FB. I don't think I'll be pushing FB anytime soon but I see your point.

You would think that a major perk to creating a FB business page would be the ability to be found by searching FB. I'm sure I would not login to FB to search for a business; I would just use Google. You would at least figure that a business page in FB would display in the SERP's. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this whole thing...lol
    Your account wont be visible in search (i.e. your personal account, because you don't have one) BUT the business profile is definitely visible. I just confirmed this.

There is no reason to have to have a personal account to create a business page. I have a personal, so I always use that to administrate my business pages. But it is not necessary (I usually create the page with the business' email address and then add my personal as an admin)

This is especially cool now that any admin can "use" the page as the business or as their personal profile. So you can use your personal account to post as the business, or as yourself
    Last edited by googler; Apr 4th, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
    Work Smarter, Not Harder
  17. Dancin with the devil

Thanks for your input Googler. I am at a loss as to what Facebook was trying to explain in the quoted excerpt. Are you checking for the business listing while being signed in to FB? Im trying to delve in a little deeper to see what FB means by a business listing not being visible in search.

As long as there is no negatives to a business page (as I initially thought I read), I am going to stick with the business pages. I don't have a FB account so maybe to get some added insight, I can create a fake profile as distinct has done.

Thanks for helping clear this up folks.
  19. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Thanks for your input Googler. I am at a loss as to what Facebook was trying to explain in the quoted excerpt. Are you checking for the business listing while being signed in to FB? Im trying to delve in a little deeper to see what FB means by a business listing not being visible in search.

As long as there is no negatives to a business page (as I initially thought I read), I am going to stick with the business pages. I don't have a FB account so maybe to get some added insight, I can create a fake profile as distinct has done.

Thanks for helping clear this up folks.
    I searched in a separate account which does not "like" any of the business pages I have created and was able to find the business pages I have created with other accounts. I was able to locate these businesses through search.

I am going to explain where I think your misunderstanding are, If I have misunderstood forgive me. These are also misunderstandings I experienced at first also.

There are two separate accounts as far as facebook occurs
    1. A personal account, this account is for an individual who does not have a commercial interest. The facebook account you or I would have to connect with friends/family/colleagues. This account is visible if I search "john doe, new york" in facebook. This account gets "Friends"

2. a business page, which is a page created specifically for a commercial business and can receive "likes". This can be created by John Doe, either with his existing personal account, or with a separate email and then tied to his personal account by adding himself as an admin. This page cannot see his fans profiles as they are simply "liking" and not friending (You cant "Friend" a business page". Where the confusion here lies for you I think and what I see in the statement above from facebook is:

If john doe does not have a personal account, and just creates a business page, he wont be visible in search (i.e. John Doe, NY) but his BUSINESS page will be visible in search (i.e. John's Beef Jerky)

It is against facebook TOS to create a business page as a personal account... you can create the business page using your personal account, but it is against TOS to use a personal page to promote a business.

Then there are groups... that's a whole different animal.
    Last edited by googler; Apr 4th, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
  21. Dancin with the devil

Ah, the example about John Doe, NY makes sense. It just didn't click that a business could not be found in search.

Clearly, what I initially read was misinterpreted. I am back in business for the time being. Thanks