1. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I've done SMO, why am I not ranking better? DUH!

People often claim to have done "social media optimisation" or worse: "submitted to social media websites".

That is not the point of SMO.
    The point is: what did it get you? Did people respond? Did they link to you? Did they like/bookmark/share?

It's no use to just post something on social media now and again. This thing only works if your site gets picked
    up by the public and then shared...

Bottom line: never claim that you've "done SMO" unless you have data to back it up. Remember that we're not
    in the 1990s anymore: SM sites do NOT actively link out nowadays, so it's not sufficient to just submit your crappy
    site and hope for the best. No: the only way to use SMO is to have a good website, share it, and have people rave
    about it

Comments on this post

• Julia Sta Roman agrees
    • ODI agrees
  3. No Profile Picture
    Hippy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

True. But how exactly social media activity improves your search results ? As I know seo and smo work together
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I drive a lot of traffic to my site using Facebook. But that traffic never sticks. I take photos and do write up on events in my local town. I can drive a significant amount of traffic to my website using social media at this time. But I see traffic spikes and then they fall away again, untill another article / photo blog and another traffic spike.

Have you any tips for getting links from social media readers ? Am I missing something. Is it all about content or is there a way to ask / court linbks and shares ?
    All The Fun Of The Fair !!!
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

You cannot directly link from social media readers but you can engage with them often and clear their queries time to time through interaction. This will make them a regular visitor of your website or web blog. This is how we can get a regular visitor. That visitor is going to share our stories on social media if you provide them some real good stuff to read and implement.
    This is more than getting a link.
  9. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by dzine
    People often claim to have done "social media optimisation" or worse: "submitted to social media websites".

That is not the point of SMO.
    The point is: what did it get you? Did people respond? Did they link to you? Did they like/bookmark/share?

It's no use to just post something on social media now and again. This thing only works if your site gets picked
    up by the public and then shared...

Bottom line: never claim that you've "done SMO" unless you have data to back it up. Remember that we're not
    in the 1990s anymore: SM sites do NOT actively link out nowadays, so it's not sufficient to just submit your crappy
    site and hope for the best. No: the only way to use SMO is to have a good website, share it, and have people rave
    about it
    I'd like to add to dzine's post that your site also needs to be social in nature for SMO to work well

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees : Tx for adding to my rant and not subtracting from it heh ;-)
    • ankit-patel agrees
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I'd like to add to dzine's post that your site also needs to be social in nature for SMO to work well
    I did not get your point.... If a website is selling boxing equipment, then how can we make the site social?
  13. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Abhishek_Jain
    I did not get your point.... If a website is selling boxing equipment, then how can we make the site social?
    Clever marketing...

Most university have boxing tournaments so does the military and both groups tend to have parties and drink... if you can't connect the social dots in these scenarios your in the wrong profession.

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees : (0 soz) Yeah be creative!
    • LearnNetGrow agrees