Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

How many really use/depend on Social Media

See a lot of questions on this social media thingie.
    And wondered how many really use it or depend on it.
    I've never used it for serp results just for socializing, which I thought was the intent of it. However I assume it has to do with the type of business or site one has whether it's viable or not.

I also don't just sign up on forums for the same reason.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

It IS for socializing. If you can a) monetize, b) Attract links, it's only because you've developed a strong trust with your target tribe.

For all of the accounts I manage we do'nt make cash. But we have developed some interesting networks of 'evangelists' for the product brand.
    Distinct SEO | Calgary SEO & Web Marketing Consultants ~~ Our Blog ~~ Follow @distinctseo
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

A snippet of each of our blog posts goes out to twitter and posts to facebook. Lots of people follow on twitter (we don't follow back) and lots are fans on facebook. We make four to ten blog posts per day. This activity brings in hundreds of visitors per day to our blog with twitter and facebook as the referrer. We do nothing else to cultivate these followings.

We also have buttons for twitter, facebook and other social sites on every page of our website and according to addthis.com those generate 300 to 500 shares per day.

Do we depend on this? Absolutely not. We are doing a least effort approach to that allows people who want the information to receive it automatically.
    Last edited by EGOL; May 13th, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. No Profile Picture
    J B
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

A couple of days ago I would have answered your question be saying plenty of business use it (although few in an effective way), but few if any rely entirely on it.

However, I just read the other day that america.gov is shutting down and the US Dept of State will solely be using Facebook and Twitter to drive their online activity - so I guess it's getting to a point where some pretty big organisations do rely completely upon it!
  9. No Profile Picture

Traffic From Social Media Sites

Originally Posted by J B
    A couple of days ago I would have answered your question be saying plenty of business use it (although few in an effective way), but few if any rely entirely on it.

However, I just read the other day that america.gov is shutting down and the US Dept of State will solely be using Facebook and Twitter to drive their online activity - so I guess it's getting to a point where some pretty big organisations do rely completely upon it!
    IMHO i do not like to put all my eggs in one basket, so I do a range of different SEO activities to get website traffic. I guess what works for one company may not work for another. I have only recently started with Facebook and Twitter, so it is early days yet for me.
  11. SEO Since 97

it looks like it's split...the Far East seems to love it...and the west doesn't put much into it. But for different reasons...interesting.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Tom,
    I would say it depends. If a business can target its customers it's for sure effective. In my case visitors from SM are people that stay very long on SEO.Net's pages so I guess that people that visit are interested.
    Addition to my traffic is significant. However it takes time as someone pointed out.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well Social Media sites these days are really becoming more like a tool for mass broadcasting rather than truly interacting...so I do think a lot of business really use it for promotion...although I think it wouldn't be that wise to solely depend on it for that purpose
  17. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by EGOL
    A snippet of each of our blog posts goes out to twitter and posts to facebook. Lots of people follow on twitter (we don't follow back) and lots are fans on facebook. We make four to ten blog posts per day. This activity brings in hundreds of visitors per day to our blog with twitter and facebook as the referrer. We do nothing else to cultivate these followings.

We also have buttons for twitter, facebook and other social sites on every page of our website and according to addthis.com those generate 300 to 500 shares per day.

Do we depend on this? Absolutely not. We are doing a least effort approach to that allows people who want the information to receive it automatically.
    And I would argue you aren't using social media correctly. If you had someone interacting with your followers you'd find another way to develop a network tribe around your product/service.

Now, monetizing that traffic in such a way it justifies the cost, that's a different metric all together .

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
  19. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Social media is now a part which is using for business purposes already. For me in future we will depend more on it rather than using business tools. As now facebook/twitter/youtube already doing same thing. Work with fun.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Social media is very useful and has got many importance for business promotion purposes. In upcoming days people will use more these tools rather than using typical business tools for promotional purposes.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Analytics

It's an interesting topic... When I started at my company, we had a Facebook page that had not been updated in over a year. Still, when you look at the Google Analytics numbers, it was like the third or fourth largest referral source to our website (still small, but something).

I guess I take this to mean that people were perusing social media for a way to find us or find out about us or our industry. Had we been building a network and engaging all that time, we could have probably made this a large source of traffic.
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I've never used it for serp results just for socializing, which I thought was the intent of it. However I assume it has to do with the type of business or site one has whether it's viable or not.

Most businesses don't solely DEPEND on a social media program alone as a means of marketing. Social Media programs are meant to be complementary. They are meant to build credibility, and increase online exposure. They allow businesses to promote their brand in online arenas where people/consumers/potential clients are ALREADY congregating---->social media sites. I personally have seen success with Facebook & Twitter sales promotions for my company Trumpia . We brought in a little over 3grand in a week from ONE sales promo on Facebook. Pretty good results..

Comments on this post

• terriwells agrees : Thanks for sharing!
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Social media is really for socializing. But it is through socializing that businesses get to exploit resources such as these social networking sites. Not using the social media in a "social" way will anyway not bring your efforts into fruition. So being spammy with them won't help.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Test-ok

Via Social media you can impart information about your products and services in the best possible way. It is like generating traffic to get some good sales or just to spread information about the page. Anyone who is Optimizing his social media is a mere fool. However one can get some good and high PR back links from such places.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: