Thread: Google Circles?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Circles?

Anybody got anything to comment about the Google Circles hype?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Let's wait and see. What with Google Buzz and Google Wave which IMHO weren't anything special we need to see something a bit special with Google Circles. Apparently, according to SEO chat rooms it has a wicked design and is something that Google patented a long time ago?

It's mentioned today again - if you Google it under "Google Circles" you will catch an article about it in the Daily Mail online edition.

This is what has been said so far but as usual it all seems to be denied and yet announced at the same time -

" Google will launch its own social network in May, it has been claimed.
    The search engine giant will unveil Google Circles at its Google I/O conference in San Francisco, according to technology blog The Next Web.
    It is thought the network will allow users to selectively share content with people who are members of different social circles in their lives.

Users will be able to filter what content is shown to which group.
    Reports that Google Circles is to launch at the South by Southwest technology event, currently taking place in Austin, Texas, were yesterday denied by Google.
    The company also refused to confirm or deny any plans for a social network

A spokesman said: 'We do not comment on rumour and speculation.'
    Some industry analysts believe it is unlikely that Google would put itself directly in competition with Facebook.
    'Whatever Google comes up with, it almost certainly won't be a competitive social network that mimics Facebook,' Matt Rosoff wrote on SFGate.com.
    'That ship has sailed - Facebook has 600million users, and nobody's going to join yet another social network to share photos and status updates with friends.'

Google has tried to ride the social networking wave twice before, the last time proving a public relations disaster.
    Just days after unveiling Google Buzz in February 2010, the company was forced to announce a massive overhaul after receiving a deluge of complaints.
    The new media tool allows users to share messages, web links, photos and videos with friends and colleagues directly within Gmail.
    However, when it launched it automatically linked users with other people they were judged to contact the most.
    In their eagerness to kick-start the project, Google failed to recognise many users would resent being 'followed' by others without their agreement.
    Google integrated Buzz directly into Gmail in an attempt to tap into its then-existing pool of 176million users and to quickly challenge Facebook.
    Following the criticism, they created a new tab within Gmail will make it easier to opt out of Buzz altogether and apologised to its users.
    In 2004, Google launched the Orkut social network. But while Orkut is big in certain overseas markets like Brazil, it failed to attract users in the UK and U.S."

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by ClickyB; Apr 17th, 2012 at 06:43 AM.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

The name of the social site reminded me of Searchles, a social bookmarking search engine; it's pronounced "circles," and it worked on a similar principle. The most recent story I could find for Searchles was dated to 2009, and now when I go to the Searchles URL I find Twicsy, a Twitter search engine. I have to wonder if Google bought Searchles, but if that was the case I'd think there would be some kind of announcement.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

“Google Circles”: The Next Rumor in Google’s Social Scene

It’s always a little strange looking at the origin of rumors in the technology field – and that’s especially true when journalists and bloggers are claiming that “new product” came from an official announcement. Such is the case with “Google Circles,” the newest title given to Google’s social network, which was allegedly announced at South by Southwest over the weekend.

The problem is that Google never made the announcement, and that Google representatives – including Chris Messina, who is part of Google’s social division – have outright denied the claims of the story. They won’t comment, however, on the Google Circles name, or the supposed advantages that are rumored to accompany the release of this (mythical?) product.

According to the initial reports, Google Circles is designed to be a social product that integrates pictures, videos, and status updates, but allows for greater privacy for users. This includes through sending messages only to specific groups – which sounds quite a lot like Beluga, a mobile project designed by former Googlers.

So, will Google be giving us “Circles” in the upcoming months? It’s hard to say. We certainly know that the company will be entering the social scene (they’ve been excruciatingly clear on that point), but the name (“Google+1,” “GoogleMe,” “Google Circles,” or even “Emerald Sea”) isn’t certain, nor are the advantages. Most analysts are eagerly awaiting further news at Google I/O, where full-length presentations of upcoming projects are usually made, and which would serve as an ideal opportunity for Google to present a social service
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think Google wants to beat Facebook in social networking that's it is entering in social networking. It is 100% competition to Facebook.
  11. No Profile Picture

Wow..Can they really beat FB?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Anybody heard anything more concerning "Google Circles" - it seems to have all gone a bit quiet?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think they can beat Facebook, but it will take a while!!

All this hype is making me laugh, very cleaver, Google's marketing department should get a raise.
  17. No Profile Picture

i think google is mother of facebook...
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

After a few Google attempts failed in establishing their own versions of social media, Google's latest Buzz Google now getting ready to set up a site or service called Circles that many observers believed the social media sites to compete with Facebook and Twitter in the realm of social media

Let's wait and see the results
  21. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Google Circles

Google Circles will allow people to share photos, videos, and status messages with people in their social circle. Google's site will be unique, the speculation goes, because it will seek to understand how we relate to our various social networking friends, determine how truly close to them we are, then adjust the amount of content we share with those people.They have a good enough understanding of the nuances of human social interaction in real life
  23. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Google will definetly beat FB

I my point of view google is largest and strongest search engine in the world and it has all the reasons to beat FB.
  25. No Profile Picture

Smile

Originally Posted by Rahul Arora
    I my point of view google is largest and strongest search engine in the world and it has all the reasons to beat FB.
    yeah you're right.
    Google have a possibilities to beat the FB.
    Go go!
  27. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Google should always be the best,,,,Fb cant beat google...
  29. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Google has launch a social networking site with the name of google plus. Social networking website have good amount of visitors and nearly challenging search engine traffic. So i think that why google has launch Google plus...
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: