1. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Lightbulb General Facebook & Twitter Questions

I am a bit behind the ball in getting into these avenues. I certainly need to get more current with the techniques as I was on the "Social Media BS Bandwagon" and didn't think it would stick as much. My mistake. Moving on.....

I looked at a few of the URL's for Facebook fan pages and some are "optimized" with the business company name and others have the company name/89273928374923. Is there a specific way to get only your company name as the URL (i.e. facebook.com/company-name) or are the URL's auto-generated?

I know someone who does some marketing work (not SEO) for a management company which owns apartment buildings. We were talking and he brought up Facebook and Twitter as I am assuming he is thinking about setting accounts/pages up. I was not able to provide any solid answers for reasons stated above. Is it recommended to create fan pages (and/or business pages?) for each location or just 1 main page for the company? All locations have a different name but are operated and owned by the management company (which has a different name altogether).

Same question goes for Twitter accounts, should there be 1 main Twitter account which covers all the happenings at all the locations or 1 account for each different apartment building focused on what is taking place at that location?

Lastly, what would be the pros/cons from an SEO POV for the above ideas? I'm hoping someone can dig me out of the hole I dug for myself....

Comments on this post

• mypctechs agrees
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  3. SEO Professional
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Lb1878
    I am a bit behind the ball in getting into these avenues. I certainly need to get more current with the techniques as I was on the "Social Media BS Bandwagon" and didn't think it would stick as much. My mistake. Moving on.....

I looked at a few of the URL's for Facebook fan pages and some are "optimized" with the business company name and others have the company name/89273928374923. Is there a specific way to get only your company name as the URL (i.e. facebook.com/company-name) or are the URL's auto-generated?

I know someone who does some marketing work (not SEO) for a management company which owns apartment buildings. We were talking and he brought up Facebook and Twitter as I am assuming he is thinking about setting accounts/pages up. I was not able to provide any solid answers for reasons stated above. Is it recommended to create fan pages (and/or business pages?) for each location or just 1 main page for the company? All locations have a different name but are operated and owned by the management company (which has a different name altogether).

Same question goes for Twitter accounts, should there be 1 main Twitter account which covers all the happenings at all the locations or 1 account for each different apartment building focused on what is taking place at that location?

Lastly, what would be the pros/cons from an SEO POV for the above ideas? I'm hoping someone can dig me out of the hole I dug for myself....
    1) Last time I checked, you would need 25 fans to be eligible for a vanity URL on your Facebook fanpage. For more: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=62088208022&topic=11435

2) Are the apartment buildings in a metro area? If not, I wouldn't bother with a separate Twitter profile for each building. Set one up with the management company and get the feel for Twitter before jumping in to multiple accounts. Plus, who really cares what's going on at a building unless there are many tenants in the building on Twitter. You can check that out though by utilizing 'nearby tweets'

3) It's a lot of work. Sure, you can plug your blog's RSS feed into your FB fanpage and Twitter profile but you still have to be active to really see some benefits. Immediate benefits would be traffic (only if you can grab the attention of the FB/Twitter crowds) but if you can, you can see some local traffic and have them be notified everytime a new blog post comes out. For this reason, you can even write specific blog posts appealing to your new found friends. But it's a crapshoot until you put in enough legwork to see a solid response.

The immediate SEO value will be very little. Each site has implemented nofollow links for the most part, and you won't build up much link equity. More eyes on your content is always a good thing though! Because Google takes so much work it can be a quicker way to supplement traffic vs. SEO'ing a site for Google and establishing a massive back link profile.
    Last edited by callenb; Aug 27th, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
    Get Your FREE SEO Guide on how I managed to grab the #1 position on Google
    for hundreds of extremely competitive keywords...

==> Get FREE Google Ranking Guide Here!
  5. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by callenb
    1) Last time I checked, you would need 25 fans to be eligible for a vanity URL on your Facebook fanpage. For more: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=62088208022&topic=11435
    Thanks. They decided to move forward with FB and Twitter pages. They have hit the magic number apparently as he was happy to figure out how to get the vanity URL.

2) Are the apartment buildings in a metro area? If not, I wouldn't bother with a separate Twitter profile for each building. Set one up with the management company and get the feel for Twitter before jumping in to multiple accounts. Plus, who really cares what's going on at a building unless there are many tenants in the building on Twitter. You can check that out though by utilizing 'nearby tweets'
    Some are more metro than others to my knowledge. He is caught in a case of where his boss thinks he knows much more than he knows. My friend attempted to explain to his boss that 1 account for each would be sufficient but his boss wanted separate accounts for each. I don't think it will work well for them but you can only object and point out the negatives so much. Also considering that my friend is handling print ads and other types of marketing, not SEO, I advised him to consult with an SEO company.

3) It's a lot of work. Sure, you can plug your blog's RSS feed into your FB fanpage and Twitter profile but you still have to be active to really see some benefits. Immediate benefits would be traffic (only if you can grab the attention of the FB/Twitter crowds) but if you can, you can see some local traffic and have them be notified everytime a new blog post comes out. For this reason, you can even write specific blog posts appealing to your new found friends. But it's a crapshoot until you put in enough legwork to see a solid response.

The immediate SEO value will be very little. Each site has implemented nofollow links for the most part, and you won't build up much link equity. More eyes on your content is always a good thing though! Because Google takes so much work it can be a quicker way to supplement traffic vs. SEO'ing a site for Google and establishing a massive back link profile.
    This was one thing I was able to explain to him. He is a 1 person army and now his boss is asking more of him. As I mentioned, I told him to speak to an SEO company. I am not sure if this has been done yet. I think I knew about the lack of link equity but I still need to freshen up on the current techniques.

Thanks Brad.
  7. SEO Professional
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

LOL, I'm sure that is a bit frustrating. I'm sure I wouldn't subscribe to a building. Maybe something like the Pentagon or Oval Office, but not an apartment complex. It could be kind of cool if they make announcements on there and try to get the tenants included in their stream somehow, but as you already know, it's very time consuming.

Are you monitoring analytics closely? This might be your best friend here by showing them the fruits of their labor (or lack thereof!). After a few weeks, if you aren't seeing traffic, perhaps you can push them into organic seo or PPC.

The blogging machine, Andy Beal, just recently talked about how some businesses use Social Media just to use it. It's an interesting read: http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2010/08/the-majority-of-business-are-using-social-marketing-but-why.html
    Last edited by callenb; Aug 29th, 2010 at 04:49 PM.