1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Facebook Like Button – link to fan page or link to home page?

Hello,

We’re in the process of putting the Facebook like button on more of our web pages.

My question is, should we link the button to our Facebook fan page or would it be more beneficial in terms of SEO to link the button to our homepage?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by andystag
    Hello,

We’re in the process of putting the Facebook like button on more of our web pages.

My question is, should we link the button to our Facebook fan page or would it be more beneficial in terms of SEO to link the button to our homepage?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
    If I clicked a link that told me it was going to help me "Like" your website on Facebook, and then instead it took me TO your website, I'd be really annoyed.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ElectricPrez
    If I clicked a link that told me it was going to help me "Like" your website on Facebook, and then instead it took me TO your website, I'd be really annoyed.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.
    Thanks for your reply.

I think you misunderstood.

The user would be either liking our Facebook fan page or liking our website homepage.

The user would know what they're liking, we would not be deceiving anyone.

The question is whether getting x amounts of 'Likes' to our website homepage would help us more with regards to SEO than getting x amounts of 'Likes' to our Facebook fan page?

Thanks.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Thanks for your reply.

I think you misunderstood.

The user would be either liking our Facebook fan page or liking our website homepage.

The user would know what they're liking, we would not be deceiving anyone.

The question is whether getting x amounts of 'Likes' to our website homepage would help us more with regards to SEO than getting x amounts of 'Likes' to our Facebook fan page?

Thanks.
    I think this is less of an SEO question and more a social media question. A "like" after all, isn't a "link", per se. The "likes" that show up in newsfeeds don't provide PR value in that sense.

If you link them to your fan page - are you going to be maintaining and updating your fan page over time? Are you going to use this channel to communicate with them? Are you going to build up your reputation in the social media spheres and use this channel to get social media mentions (which are noted to have an effect on ranking, as per: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/google-bing-confirm-twitter-facebook-influence-seo)

If you link it to your home page, you will drive traffic directly to the site. They will view your content directly and may become repeat visitors based solely on that content alone - but you are sacrificing the opportunity to have them connect with you on Facebook in that capacity - they'd have to seek out your fan page in addition to liking your home page.

So, it depends. Depends on the nature of your site, your goals, your content, etc.
  9. No Profile Picture

dillema

i think i too donot got you
  11. No Profile Picture

Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Andy
    Maybe link to fans page is better .
    So many fans of you should be a hightlight ,while, your home page cann't be interesting all the time .
    In fact ,i don't think people who "liked "you will be helpful to make your page wellknown ,they just make the number of your fans bigger ,They are nothing but a number and channel to sent your news .
  13. No Profile Picture

Just like one poster said, it all depends on what your goal is. Linking them to your homepage will contribute to increase in site traffic. Linking them to your Facebook page through the Like button can also help drive traffic to your homepage, i.e., if you integrate your homepage content into Facebook through shared links, as well as build a strong social media presence.