1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Facebook and how they Geotarget searched fanpages based on where you live

Hi,
    I live in Vancouver and I'm the creator of facebook / Canucks.fansagainstthe.2011.Vancouver.Riots with over 70,000 likes. I did this page while the riots were going on in Vancouver and it quickly went viral.
    When the London riots started, on the first day while they were happening I started facebook / LondonRiots and for a while I had the most likes of any of the pages, but then someone with 40,000+ twitter followers started a similar page and blew past all the other pages reaching 250,000 likes within 6 hours. Last I checked they were close to a million. Other pages then blew past my like count by thousands.
    I was also the first one, by about a whopping 24 hours to start a London Post Riot clean up page facebook / LondonRiotsCleanUp then someone started a page with the exact same name and now they have about 100 times the likes as I do.
    I notice that the view insights has Canada 2nd and Vancouver 5th on the list of users (although it is 2 days behind) but I think these are higher than what would be expected.
    Didn't really do anything all that different then I did with the riot in Vancouver except made more use of my twitter account, kept regular updates, so why such a big difference in like counts?
    My conclusion, I believe that when typing in search words into the facebook search, the location of the admin and/or the IP address are taken into account. Solution, if you are the admin, change your location to the specific area your page is about. If IP has any effect then use a proxy server to make your IP to appear you're in that area. I think I'm going to write an article on this.

Anyone have any input or experience to share on this?
    Last edited by GoWOWMedia; Aug 10th, 2011 at 04:40 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo