1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Charging For Exposure In A Social Media Group ??

Hi Guys, Hypothetical question here. If you ran a successful and very active Facebook group. With people posting often about their business and posting links to their business websites on your page/group. Is there any way you could charge people to advertise on that group ?? Could you offer to sticky their posts or bump them, or repeat post them on their behalf in return for payment ??
    All The Fun Of The Fair !!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Guys, I know I made this post a long time ago and Ive had no replies. Did people not understand the question ? Or maybe you couldnt think of any answers ?
  5. My views are my own ;)

Hey Glenn, sorry I missed this question! That's my favorite topic!
    I couldn't find official rules on that but there's always a chance that you can grow big enough for Facebook to want to close that down... I'd make this part of the deal, e.g. "Get a mention in my newsletter and as a bonus an announcement in our super popular facebook group" or "No self-linking in this group unless you are XX Premium user", etc...
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thansk for coming back to me. My group is getting very active, and more and more local businesses are spamming in there links or business offers once or twice a week. Ive put a lot of hard work into the group and am now wondering just what i can do with it to make it help me out.

Im also thinking Im going to need to tell people they cant post business links or information onto the group unless they pay me or give me something in return.

If you have any more helpful thoughts or info Anne please feel free to shout up.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Many open registration groups fight an uphill battle with spam links. Businesses drop a promotional link and disappear. I think you may run into some issues with your suggestion though.

1. I couldn't find anything specific in Facebook's ToS but this seems at best, a grey area. Plus, you would probably need to disclose that they are paid promotions per FCC rules.
    2. You will run into people not understanding why some businesses can post links but others can't. The gnashing of teeth that will ensue will likely cause you to say "Forget tit!".
    3. It's not likely to solve the problem. Just as many links will be posted, only now you have to figure out which can stay and which must be deleted. Most groups end up going to closed registration to keep the spam down.

I would suggest a flat ban on self-promotional links. Then, if you don't mind being in a possible grey area, you can offer to do a Featured Business of the Week pinned post that includes announcement of a sale, a coupon link, etc for a fee. To be (theoretically) safer, you could do what Ann mentions and offer it as an add-on bonus. For example, sell a 1-page profile of the company published on your site and include a free add-on of "Be our Featured Business of the Week" where you pin a promo message and link to the profile for a week. This way, you're promoting your own content and nobody is paying you for it, plus it could turn into a good feature of the group that members like, comment, share, etc.
  11. My views are my own ;)

It's weird that Facebook has no clear guidelines as to that...