1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Better to ask for Facebook "Likes" or "Shares"? Tweets or Follows?

For Facebook, Is it better to ask users to "Like" or to "Share a link to your site"?

Is it more valuable to get "tweets", or is it more valuable to get "followers".

For Google + is it better to get +1's or is it better to get "people added in your circle".

What is the most valuable social media button for users to click on a site?

I run a free tech support chat, and at the end of helping people I've been asking them to click the Facebook, Twitter, and Google plus "Share" buttons on the page.

Was wanting to know whats the best thing to ask users to do? I notice that almost everyone has Facebook, while most don't have twitter, google + or linked in, but I still ask.
  3. No Profile Picture

Ease vs. Actual Gain

Most people have Facebook and Twitter (some may even have Google Plus but probably never use it or update it) so focusing on the higher volume of user social media platforms is best. On a platform like Facebook, users find it easier to "like" posts or pictures rather than re-post or share to their own followers. However, sharing and promoting your content to a wider audience will help you not only expand your brand image but get the word out there quicker.

For SEO purposes and higher page rankings, the more your homepage link shows up on different blogs and sites, the better. So in turn, you would want your fanbase to share your link rather than to just accrue likes. Companies like ajaxunion.com and rankzen.com can help target optimized keywords for companies and use it to your own advantage.

LinkedIn is also gaining more accessibility and clicks from other sites as more and more people feel comfortable using it as forum. Have you noticed any upswing in page views on your LinkedIn page?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by marketinger
    LinkedIn is also gaining more accessibility and clicks from other sites as more and more people feel comfortable using it as forum. Have you noticed any upswing in page views on your LinkedIn page?
    I find that any LinkedIn forum I check out to be just over run with spam and that their are very few useful interactions.

As to Facebook & Twitter, I'd suggest asking for both.
    Looking to buy a home? Check out my Real Estate Blog for London Ontario and my HGTV real estate tv blog
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by marketinger
    Most people have Facebook and Twitter (some may even have Google Plus but probably never use it or update it) so focusing on the higher volume of user social media platforms is best. On a platform like Facebook, users find it easier to "like" posts or pictures rather than re-post or share to their own followers. However, sharing and promoting your content to a wider audience will help you not only expand your brand image but get the word out there quicker.

For SEO purposes and higher page rankings, the more your homepage link shows up on different blogs and sites, the better. So in turn, you would want your fanbase to share your link rather than to just accrue likes. Companies like ajaxunion.com and rankzen.com can help target optimized keywords for companies and use it to your own advantage.

We actually don't even have a linkedin business page, although I do have a personal Linkedin account. Kindof slipped my mind, but I do have some linkedin activity, as I do have the button on my site. Thanks for the tips.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by LondonHomes
    I find that any LinkedIn forum I check out to be just over run with spam and that their are very few useful interactions.

As to Facebook & Twitter, I'd suggest asking for both.
    Thanks, I actually have been asking for both. After I help someone for free, they are usually VERY thankful, and I've been asking them:

"If you would be so kind as to click the Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Digg, Reddit, or delicious "SHARE buttons" on the right of your screen, it really helps the site out. Also it helps if you "like" us on Facebook by going to http://www.facebook.com/{REMOVED} or "follow" us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/{REMOVED} "

In all honesty, what do you all think of this approach? Should I just focus on Facebook, twitter, google plus and linked in? Thanks
  11. No Profile Picture

facebook like or share?which one is more effective?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by suparna
    facebook like or share?which one is more effective?
    The conclusion I came to, is that it really depends on your niche and the type of website you have.

If someone shares your website on their facebook page, does it give value to their users? Are facebook users likely to click it, and are they likely to use your site? If so, then by all means encourage shares.

Getting facebook "likes" (referring to someone that is going to your businesses facebook page and clicking "like") is useful so you can promote your business and various pages on your site, and drive traffic.

Getting more shares or likes wont directly improve rankings, but if done correctly and your site/business is in the proper market for social media, it will drive traffic to your site and help business.

Getting more traffic could equate to good things in the long run, like quality incoming links. :-)
    Last edited by EugeneComputerG; Sep 10th, 2012 at 04:39 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture

share this is more effective

share this is more effective then facebook likes.
  17. A Developers Perspective
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by vaayaaedu
    share this is more effective then facebook likes.
    According to what? and what are you posting that people will want to share, to me a share this and like would work better

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo