1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO Proposal Question

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could share some advice.

I was asked to provide SEO proposal to a company. It was originally an in house FT position for an SEO Assistant. However, after several conversation on the phone and in person with the owner of the company it was suddenly changed to a contract job. They do have some in-house staff to do social media marketing and PPC. And today I can still see their job advertisement for the SEO Assistant again in one of the job-seeking websites.

My question is, what if they just want me to provide a proposal to them, and then get rid of me and ask their in-house staff to finish the work? I had been in that kind of situation and am a bit cautious now.

According to their requirements, the proposal should include in details how I am going to improve their SEO ranking, how much I am charging, time scope, what I need from them...etc..

They are a little reluctant in allowing me to access their Google Analytics account and social media accounts.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
  3. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Unfortunately, I've experienced many hesitant clients before. They aren't knowledgable in how we go about our business and undertake their work, hence their reluctance to willingly part with cash and trust.

They do have a right to know what they're getting for their money - and since the possibility of rankings isn't a tangible commodity - they're always going to be sceptical and it is worth allocating some time to ease their concerns.

What I do is do some very top-level research, trying not to spend more than an hour or so to piece together a proposal. The top-level research shows, among other things, the advantages their competitors currently have over them as well as the scope for a better strategy to be in place. From there, I outline the processes I go through and explain to them why I do the things I do. I also include numerous case studies with my satisfied clients - this usually puts them at ease.

I'm quite lucky though, in that the freelance work I do is usually found through word of mouth - with the majority of my clients having some form of connection between themselves. They then recommend my work to each other :-)

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : And having a nice template is a great start :)
    Last edited by thegodfather; Nov 8th, 2012 at 05:28 AM.
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." - George Best
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your reply.

However, I am still concerned about whether they would just ask me to submit a detail proposal about how to achieve the ranking, and then dump me and ask their internal P/T staff to do the work. They do have some staff who is working on the website and social media marketing stuff.

The fact is that I believe I am a bit too old for an assistant position but they are curious about what I can offer.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : If this is what you fear, perhaps your proposal should include an option to serve as their consultant if they want to do this work theirselves.
  7. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's your job to convince them that if they hire you they will see a positive return on their investment. This is done most easily by showing past results. When they ask what specifically you are going to do you can tell them: "I will do the same types of things to your site that I have done to these sites, and BOOM look at these results" (the "boom" is optional).

If they press for specifics say: Although Google uses over 200 elements to determine where a site should rank based on a given query, all of these elements can be put into 2 categories: Authority and relevance. Exactly what steps I will take to build your authority and relevance is determined in large part by what I find when I do my due diligence on your website. One thing is sure, I will do whatever it takes to build high quality, relevant links in to the home page and internal pages and I will become an expert in your industry so that I can create best of the web content that will build relevance, encourage clicks from webmasters passionate about the industry and compel visitors to act on my calls to action. This means improved user behavior stats, increased time on site, better ranks and most importantly increased conversions.

BAM! hired.

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees : lol just a bit BOOM and the BAM! :P
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Nov 9th, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
  9. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by johnnyac
    Thanks for your reply.

However, I am still concerned about whether they would just ask me to submit a detail proposal about how to achieve the ranking, and then dump me and ask their internal P/T staff to do the work. They do have some staff who is working on the website and social media marketing stuff.

The fact is that I believe I am a bit too old for an assistant position but they are curious about what I can offer.

Thanks again for the feedback.
    That is the danger of spending too much time on a proposal I'm afraid, and that has indeed happened to me... Unfortunately, some clients just want to know exactly what they're getting for their money - and to be honest, I'd probably be the same, as good SEO isn't cheap!

The bottom line is that they want to see good returns for their investment, and you need to convince them. As KernelPanic pointed out, past results are without a doubt the best way of approaching this.

Be as transparent as possible - include testimonials and, if your past clients allow it, include their contact details so the new client can find out for themselves whether what you're saying is legit.
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

This happens a lot.

Give an overview proposal, offer a small consulting fee to provide a highly detailed out line (that will cover your costs).

If they chose not to have you execute the plan, you have still covered your costs.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks

Sorry for my late reply and thanks for all your help.