Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Always new to SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Qualification for being a SEO

What do you think should be ideal qualification/prerequisites for a new guy having aspirations to be a good seo. I could not find any good answer so asking this to experts. Is it possible that in future it could be an optional subject in colleges.
  3. A.K.A. Grumpy Pants
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I thi nk trhat in any internet marketing course they should teach about SEO practices, However in my opinion the fact that good seo's are few and far between is what gives us our merit, its an underground industry that requires keeping up with technology, inventiveness, a balance between web design and marketing skills. As well as a thourough understanding of the internet and also other
    Internet marketing skills, PPC, Directories paid and free, etc.
    It took me a year of practice for me to feel comfortable charging for my services as an SEO.
    Also SEO tends to be an independent contracting business so you have to also be ethical, honest, and goal oriented.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Hello,

I agree with Googler.

You need to be fairly good in web design/programming and also have some markeding skills.

We could try to make a minimum requirement list, a beginning SEO needs to:

- Be able to read and write English.
    - Write valid HTML and XSL.
    - Know what a database is and how a database interacts with dynamic webpages.
    - Have created several websites using atleast one of PHP, ASP, JSP, Cold Fusion.
    - Be able to name atleast four other webbrowsers besides Internet Explorer. :-)
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by babu
    What do you think should be ideal qualification/prerequisites for a new guy having aspirations to be a good seo.

Is it possible that in future it could be an optional subject in colleges.

Qualifications for SEO.... either high rankings for some difficult keywords or an ability to find LOTS of highly qualified traffic.

College course.... hmmm... Having been a professor in one of my careers... There are a few profs who might touch the subject but it would be very rare. The college courses are most likely targeting web design or programming - if SEO is included it would likely be one lecture on the basic basic stuff.

At most schools you need to teach courses that people can understand simply by looking at the title. These are the courses that will attract strong enrollments and universities look at the bottom line, just like a business.

To prove my point, go to some university websites and you will rarely see good SEO in practice - even in the IT, business, or communications departments. They get great rankings simply because there are lots of high school and other university websites linking to them.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  9. <- Have you read my blog?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

SEO isn't rocket science.

To be a good SEO just use the right tools, visit the forums regularly, and be ready to expend a massive amount of time dealing with link building. In the end it comes down to the budget you have to work with, and the time you have set aside for a certain project.

If a client bids $300 for SEO, well it's probably not going to hit #1 in 1 month.

But if a client settles on a $4000/month budget, well it's easy to get top ten in a month.

Time + Money + Research = SEO

Hexed
    www.Three-Way-Links.com - Amazing way to increase your rank with Google - trading three way links!
    Free Online Games - free online games - what else could you want?
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

just curious, where would you pump that money assuming they're willing to pay that much to reach that sort of position?
    Get Relevant Links! Buy Links from the TextLinkBrokers!
    Building Quality SEO Blog - Editors Wanted | Free SEO Tools
  13. <- Have you read my blog?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Well, lets say the SEO works for $75/hour. Probably more, but lets just say $75 for an average figure. Now lets say the client buys 20-30 hours of SEO work a month. WIth the money left over from that, you put towards buying links.

Money talks.

Hexed
  15. Contributing User

yeah, I figured that some of that was for "labor" and the rest was for purchased advertising... but that's a lot of money to throw around.

how exactly do you buy links with that sort of budget? do you use some sort of text link service, go out and ask sites yourself, or what?
  17. Sick of BL's, PR + Google

Originally Posted by sorvoja
    We could try to make a minimum requirement list, a beginning SEO needs to:

- Be able to read and write English.
    - Write valid HTML and XSL.
    - Know what a database is and how a database interacts with dynamic webpages.
    - Have created several websites using atleast one of PHP, ASP, JSP, Cold Fusion.
    - Be able to name atleast four other webbrowsers besides Internet Explorer. :-)
    Ahhhhh

That explains why I am having trouble, I can only say yes to number 1..........

19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by thewormman
    Ahhhhh

That explains why I am having trouble, I can only say yes to number 1..........

Hi,

I did not want intend to be rude. I am so very sorry, I did not want to hurt anyone.

I was just trying to point out that a minimum of technical knowledge would be nice, if you are to work with a website which you are not familiar.

If you have never seen php code, it would be hard to find the piece of code that inserts the title element into the page templates. If you don't know anything about databases, it could be harder to expand the system to include a unique title on everypage. You don't want to hardcode 200 pages. If you don't know HTML you would not be able to hardcode 200 pages.
  21. Master of the cave

Exclamation

Sorvoja, you just made me realize that I have a php site that has 600+ pages with the same title... lol...

Is it difficult to fix this so that each one has a title related to the page? What would happen with the 600 pages I already have indexed today?

Need some free backlinks for your site? Check this out!
  23. Contributing User

Hello fryman,

If your website is build with templates (or through a Content Management system), it is very likely that your page data is located at SQL database. You would have to add a new field to hold your title in the database table with your page information, and you would have to edit your templates to output the correct title.

You would probably get more trafic and better search engine rankings when each page has a unique title, since you would be targeting more keywords. Currently the title is the most important element in a page when it comes to search engine rankings.
  25. Sick of BL's, PR + Google

Originally Posted by sorvoja
    I did not want intend to be rude. I am so very sorry, I did not want to hurt anyone.

I was just trying to point out that a minimum of technical knowledge would be nice, if you are to work with a website which you are not familiar.
    Hey man don't worry, you are just confirming what my wife is always telling me...

I'm thick.

Seriously I would just say that even though you may not know all the things you listed it doesn't stop you from producing a site that can earn money.

Sometimes the simple ways of doing things can be just as effective, it doesn't matter if your page is simple basic code, if you can make it rank between #1 and #5 for a search term that has 3 million competitors you can still do very well.

27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Qualifications for SEO.... either high rankings for some difficult keywords or an ability to find LOTS of highly qualified traffic.
    yep, the proof is in the pudding...i've had 3 fulltime optimization jobs for 3 different companies and all any of them really cared about is where i had my last company ranked and for what terms.
  29. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I think that there are lots of small SEO jobs that a person could do a good job at with minimal skills. I live in a very small town and the local motels and restaurants don't have any SEO on their sites. One day of making title tags, text rewrites, setting headers and recruiting a few links will cause a major improvement in their website investment.

Those web designers who don't know jack about search engines - they make lots of income opportunities for the light duty SEO.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo