1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is it worth changing page names?

Hi,

I'm trying to work out if it's worth changing page names on my site, I've read some of the faq's but I'm still not sure.

For example I want to change the name of 'mysite/weddings.html' to 'mysite/wedding-photographer.html', which will be a much better anchor text for me in the long run. I will be using 301 redirects for this and several other pages but leaving the index page untouched. Most of my inbound links are currently pointing to the index page.

My site is ranking reasonably well at the moment but I would obviously like to do better. Is this just minor tweaking that will do more harm than good? Am I likely to see a drop in ranking then a recovery, or could I do permanent damage?

Thanks.
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

No.

PS: you determine the anchor text. It doesn't have to be the URL.
    ... Hey you! FREE SEO report card ... I really my hosting company ...
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by dzine
    No.

PS: you determine the anchor text. It doesn't have to be the URL.
    OK, thanks. I was looking at the 'on page optimisation faq' page and I saw this:

"Filenames (URLs)

You've got to give your file/page a URL anyway, so you might as well include a keyword or two in there if you're using static html files or URL rewriting. Don't obsess about it though. Having your keywords in the URL is only a very small factor in the algorithm, and for competitive search terms you're not really going to see any real-world difference. The main benefit comes from external links that use the URL as the anchor text, thus those keywords then become part of the anchor text."

As some sites don't allow you to choose your own anchor text for backlinks, I thought putting keywords in my URL might make a difference.
  7. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

There can be a slight advantage, but it doesn't weigh up to the fact that search engines will be confused (at first) and that your whole site will depend on 301 redirects for ages.

Do it for new pages, but stay away from the existing ones unless you are very brave and very patient
  9. No Profile Picture

I'm not feeling very brave or patient, so I'll leave them as they are. Thanks for the advice.