1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Will website background slow down my site?

Will a website background slow down my site and be bad for seo? The background image is 118 KB. And here is the page it is on howtobuildplans <dot> com

Thanks to any advice???? I need it.
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Aug 15th, 2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: de-link
  3. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Load times for your background shouldn't be an issue. Your site is probably much faster than my (photography) site. ;)

Having a background won't effect your SEO. Appearance-wise, I'm not sure having a image as a background is a good idea, but that's just my personal preference. It kind of gives it an "old-school" look.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks and my site loads in about 5- 6 seconds and I checked yours and it was only a little over 3? I have been working so hard to make my photos smaller etc.. to cut down my load speed but don't know if I am doing right or wrong?. I added a large photo to each page and product on my site and it loaded slower so then Google lowered me in search so as I said I am trying to fix this. I don't know if I am doing right as I sure am not really good at this stuff. Just need the extra income lately. I love the Mustangs as I had a 2003 but sold it (Saw your profile Hikin Mike) . Thanks for the info.
  7. Just a Photographer

If you haven't tried running the PageSpeed, it may help you find a few more issues. I ran your site and I can see a few things you can do to help speed it up a bit. According to the PageSpeed, your site times in @1.7sec, and mine comes it @1.3 sec.

Are you sure Google lowered your standings because of images?

Is there a reason why you list 'How to Build Plans' three time in your home page's <title> tag?
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks but sorry I don't understand? I am just a regular guy (carpenter) who just started learning things as I go and from others who are kind enough to help me. So what can I do to speed up my site? I would really appreciate your help on this? Thanksssss!
  11. Just a Photographer

Well, I'm just a photographer that happens to know just enough "stuff" to be dangerous...LOL!

Here is the Google PageSpeed tool: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/. Keep in mind, it's just a tool.

Your title tag says this right now: 'How to Build Plans | How to Build PlansHow to Build Plans | Home improvement and new construction building plans'. There is no reason to list that 3 times. Your using the Yoast plugin, I would change that.
  13. Just a Photographer

Just to add, images size is important, but I really don't think your site dropped because of that.
  15. No Profile Picture

You can speed up the loading time of the images by optimizing it. Reducing the quality of the image for smaller filesize is one way of dealing with websites who have lots of images.