Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question What's your favorite method of getting SEO clients?

I've been using cold emailing since last few months to try to get some SEO clients, but I'm not having any success.

I'm personalizing my email for each prospect (by adding their name, business name, industry, website url etc). I'm getting around 35-40% open-rate for my emails.

I'm targeting laser eye surgeons from different locations. While choosing a prospect, I check if they have low traffic, less backlinks, bad/average quality website design and things like that.

What am I not doing right?

Do you guys have any suggestions? How do you get your clients?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

I am not really the correct person to answer this as I have no SEO clients as such. I tend to just help out friends and family if you understand.

What I can tell you though, your approach is wrong as I am flooded with such emails pretty much daily and so will be the potential clients your targeting. Its a scattergun approach which you would need to send out 1,000's to get a single bite, people tend to get fed up pretty quick of such emails and register them as spam or add you to their blocked list.

I would say though, you would be surprised how much work you could pick up from here, assuming you demonstrate you know your stuff, I know its not massive but I normally get an offer or 2 most months and I dont want or need the work. I cant speak for the ones actively looking for work but I would guess a lot depends on how active you are and show your not just talking hot air.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your input.

Actually I got the idea of cold emailing from Glen (from ViperChill.com). He and many of his students use this method to generate thousands of bucks every month.

That's why I'm wondering why I'm not getting any results.

you would be surprised how much work you could pick up from here, assuming you demonstrate you know your stuff, I know its not massive but I normally get an offer or 2 most months
    When you say that, do you mean you get client enquiries from forums?
  7. Dinosaur

Yes I mean potential clients from forums, You would be surprised how many clients join forums such as this to try and figure out why they dont rank only to find its dam hard work then want to take the easy route and hire someone to do it for them. There are also quite a few who just want free advice which dont pay your bills.

I can only talk from my point of view, I am sure some of the SEO professionals who hang around here will give you completly different advice.
  9. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

My favorite way to get new clients is referral from an existing client. Happy clients buy more stuff and tell everyone they know how awesome you are.
  11. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

As a business owner, we get 2-3 emails a day from SEO companies who want to help us. I don't care if you are the best SEO company in the world...The chances of you successfully winning my business via email are extremely low.

When I worked in a veterinary office, we would not only get several calls a day for people who wanted to help us with marketing, but a few times a week we would get someone come to the office to try to speak to the office manager to show them how they could help us with marketing.

The problem with cold outreach is that there are so many companies out there doing this that most businesses will just ignore those attempts.

What worked for me to initially get clients is to do three things:
    1) Be super active on forums. Be sure not to try to sell anything. Just be helpful and make sure there is a way for people to contact you.
    2) Write articles that are insanely helpful. I'm not talking about just another article on title tags but rather, unique, original research. Do some SEO tests and publish your results. Do something remarkable that makes people say, "Wow, that guy/gal knows their stuff!". And then do it over and over again.
    3) Niche down. You have the right idea by targeting one particular niche. Now, offer extreme value to those niches. Write articles on your website about marketing things that are specific to laser eye surgeons. Hang out in forums where those professionals might be looking for help. Make it so that whenever a laser eye surgeon is looking for marketing advice, they keep seeing your name over and over again.

Personally, I niched down but not to a particular profession, but instead to Google penalty work. If you Google, "Google penalty expert" you'll see me. That's not because I built links to my site or did any crazy SEO to rank well for this term. It's because I worked super hard to be known as the expert in this field.

The moral of the story is - If you're just another SEO, getting clients is hard. If you're a well known SEO who has published a lot of stuff and gets quoted in other people's articles and has other clients gushing about you, then clients come easily.

Comments on this post

• markroberts agrees
    • Chedders agrees : Said it far better than me :), as always
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  13. No Profile Picture

Dr. Marie, thanks for your detailed and insightful response!

It's good to know that since I'm targeting one industry, I'm at least doing something right ;)

I will definitely work on your suggestions
  15. Entrepreneur

I got below stuff from forums.seochat.com/seo-help-general-chat-16/starting-search-engine-optimization-company-213936.html

I hope it will add more value

These are the three things I have found to be the most vital to any sales professional.

Reference
    Education
    Trust

Reference. Your clients generate business for you as you have some clients it will be your showcase or you can't all of their credit anymore from your previous employment but you can say previously you optimized their site before I started the business. Most of the time people want to see your previous work as a reference. You need to insist this if you have the good showcase from your previous work. If you don't have references, then you will have to stat work in very low costs or maybe even free just so you can have one. You might think of it as wasting your time, but consider it an investment in your business. Over time, you can raise your margins because it can be justified. There are a lot of people that would pay little and you can even tell them why you are charging so little now is because you need their business to help start yours. In conclusion, your very own website should be optimized to its fullest potential as well as another showcase template.

Education: educate a prospect on the importance of SEO and the difference of intrusive advertising vs. intrusive. Know your competition, how much they charge and why going with you is going to show me a larger ROI. Give me live examples and answer my questions truthfully and confirm I understand. Tell me what changes you intend to make on my current website or new website and how they will help. But be careful, don't give away the house here and tell them exactly what needs improvement, just in general. Basically, prove to all your prospects that you are not a fly by night company and have the knowledge and wisdom they seek.

In order for someone to do business with you, they need to trust you. Trust your vision, trust your personality, trust your genuine. I can't put my finger on it, but everything you do and say reflects the trust in you. Without trust, you will never get business. That is why many companies
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  17. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I used to get LOTS of clients emailing them directly. This was maybe 8 years ago? I would actually sell roughly 3%, but that dropped off considerably over the next couple of years. I haven't tried it in many years, but would no longer expect it to be worth my time.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Become an expert in the field. I agree that you do not need to sell your services to clients. What you need instead is to provide your market free and good information through blogging, guest posting, social media interaction, forum posting, blog commenting and the likes. Give them a reason to trust you first and you'll be surprised how it is easy to get clients when you're giving away important information for free.
  21. No Profile Picture

My personal favorite is harvesting email addresses using Scrapebox, segmented by industry. For example, only roofing companies or only plumbers. Then making a personalized email template based on the industry, try to use the owners name which you could sometimes get using WhoIs sites. You could also scrape phone numbers using the same method. Then its just a matter of numbers game to reach someone with the capacity to make the decision to hire you as a SEO consultant.
  23. Dinosaur

My personal favorite is harvesting email addresses using Scrapebox, segmented by industry. For example, only roofing companies or only plumbers. Then making a personalized email template based on the industry, try to use the owners name which you could sometimes get using WhoIs sites. You could also scrape phone numbers using the same method. Then its just a matter of numbers game to reach someone with the capacity to make the decision to hire you as a SEO consultant.
    Yeap and I really hope you give me a call one day, I would tear you apart, I have a massive hate of spammers like this. You can spin it however you want but its this tactic that gives the industry a really bad name.
  25. No Profile Picture

don't hate the player, hate the game.
  27. Dinosaur

Its not a game at all its just called spam pure and simple. When your inbox is full of crap like this and your phone keeps going off you soon become to hate the people operating these spam techniques.
    Its a bit like saying dont hate the rapist hate the sex.

If you need to resort to spam to gain customers then you have no clue about your industry as you cant prove you can gain your own customers let alone for a client so therefore not worth talking to.
  29. No Profile Picture

So then what other method is there to get in touch with a potential client? Telepathy? please enlighten me wise master guru SEO person who has a magic way to reach clients that is not by phone or by email.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok : You need to find another way to support your self.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: